Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My Recovery Between Sets Sucks

ExtraMile

High End Bro
Platinum
Iv always found on stuff like chins and dips I cant hit my max reps twice but this has been getting worse, now on almost every exercise I can only hit one max set. For example olympic squats on monday my first set I hit 204x3 next set I try the same I only manage 204x2 with help on my second rep, so really only managed 1 rep. 3rd set I drop it back a little to 198 and only manage two reps by myself.

Another example today deadlifts my first heavy set is 270x5 my next set after Iv rested 3+mins I only get 3 reps with that weight.

Is this just because of months with very low reps my muscular endurance is lagging? Should I start doing only 1 max set on most exercises now or should I work in some higher reps?

Iv always found on stuff like chins and dips I cant hit my max reps twice but this has been getting worse, now on almost every exercise I can only hit one max set. For example olympic squats on monday my first set I hit 204x3 next set I try the same I only manage 204x2 with help on my second rep, so really only managed 1 rep. 3rd set I drop it back a little to 198 and only manage two reps by myself.

Another example today deadlifts my first heavy set is 270x5 my next set after Iv rested 3+mins I only get 3 reps with that weight.

Is this just because of months with very low reps my muscular endurance is lagging? Should I start doing only 1 max set on most exercises now or should I work in some higher reps?

you should always be training throughout various rep ranges. if youve been working sets that are under 20 seconds, you might want to bring in longer sets where the weight is lighter but the time under tension is longer so you build up that endurance. you are still at the novice lifting point in your training, endurance will come. i would definately train different thresholds though. that is very important.

you should always be training throughout various rep ranges. if youve been working sets that are under 20 seconds, you might want to bring in longer sets where the weight is lighter but the time under tension is longer so you build up that endurance. you are still at the novice lifting point in your training, endurance will come. i would definately train different thresholds though. that is very important.

ok well iv been on a slightly altered version of the bill star 5x5 for probably 4 months now. The rep ranges have stayed the same most of the time
Squats 3-5
Deads 5
Flat BB 3-5
dips 5-8
chins 6-10
shoulder press 5-10
cgbp 8-10

those are the lifts that have been stuck and now I think about it those are the lifts that have stayed in the same reps!

so should I just do say 1 max set in the heavy rep range then two sets in the higher (10-12) for them?

ok well iv been on a slightly altered version of the bill star 5x5 for probably 4 months now. The rep ranges have stayed the same most of the time
Squats 3-5
Deads 5
Flat BB 3-5
dips 5-8
chins 6-10
shoulder press 5-10
cgbp 8-10

those are the lifts that have been stuck and now I think about it those are the lifts that have stayed in the same reps!

so should I just do say 1 max set in the heavy rep range then two sets in the higher (10-12) for them?

why not avoid maxes for 4 or 5 months? work hypertrophy. try sets where the eccentric and concentric movements are extremely slow. build some quality stability around the joints. add density. then go back to a few weeks of maxes. i really dont understand all the max effort work. the first thing your body adapts to is reps. you have to change things up to move forward. weight training does not produce linear gains. its more of a zig zag. time to try other training methods. you may be much more apt to make composition changes in a different training style. switch up rest periods. theres alot of other things out there other than max effort.

I agree with Timtim!

It has become clear that you need a change EM. Leave the 5x5 for a while. You have to try something else!

Well they arnt all max effort sets, they are just low rep, I usually leave it with 1 or two reps still left in the tank. I train heavy for a few reasons
- I want to be a competetive PLer and hope to compete maybe sometime in 2010
- I enjoy training heavy, high reps gets quite boring for me and I get bored easily
- I love the strength gains and using lot of weight

Although I have been really wanting to add some mass, I have grown with the low reps but training like this strength gains are mostly good but mass is very slow.

What rep range do you suggest switching up to if I were to change?

I agree with Timtim!

It has become clear that you need a change EM. Leave the 5x5 for a while. You have to try something else!

hey you were the one who said to continue on it, but yes strength gains are stalling and I think within the next week or so I will stall on deads, military and bench.

Ill pm you, theres a few routines I was thinking about doing when I finished this 5x5!

so is the main answer my recovery is bad because I dont do much high rep work, its the endurance thing?

hey you were the one who said to continue on it, but yes strength gains are stalling and I think within the next week or so I will stall on deads, military and bench.

Ill pm you, theres a few routines I was thinking about doing when I finished this 5x5!

so is the main answer my recovery is bad because I dont do much high rep work, its the endurance thing?

Yeah i said do it until you can't progress, now is the time.

agreed. You're at the wall bro. Learn it, live it, breathe it, so you can recognize it in the future when your body says no more. You will save yourself lots of time fighting plateaus and the corresponding injuries that usually go with it.

Do some higher reps stuff and go back to the 3-5 rep range in a few months.

Top Bottom