Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My push/pull/legs split- looking for help

amoody

I'm a 20 year old hard gainer doing a 6 day a week push/pull/legs split. Right now I am eating around 4000 calories and 160 grams of protein a day and making gains of about 1.5lbs a week. Oh and I am sleeping at least 10 hours a night.
Looking for help with the routine:

Wed- PUSH
4x15 sets flat bench
2 sets dips supersetted with cable cross at 8+15 reps
3x10 incline bench
3x10 arnold press

Thursday- PULL
4x15 sets latt pulldown
3x12 sets seated cable row
3x5 sets close grip T-Row
3 Sets bicycle maneuver to failure
3 sets weighted hyper extension

Friday- Legs
3x12 sets squats
3 sets GHR on a matt
3x10 sets step ups
3x15 sets standing calf raise

Saturday- Push repeated
Sunday- Pull Repeated
Monday- Legs repeated
Tuesday- Rest

I am looking to work deads into my routine but I don't have the hamstring flexibility to do them safely right now (I am working on that).

Anyone have suggestions? especially looking for help with volume. Right now I am doing every set to failure and not worrying about the weight as much as the volume.

Ehhh....no offense but quite a few problems. I'd stick with the standard 3x5 until you learn more about body limitations/rep ranges/splits etc.

Can you be more specific? Do you think I am over training? I have been lifting for a little over two years but haven't ever had a trainer so everything I know comes from the internet... Leaving some gaps in my knowledge.

you need to lower your reps and push/pull programs seem more effective for me 3 days a week, legs as well every M/W/F with one moderate/heavy/light day a week, (overhead squats monday, back squats weds, and front squats friday then and then any other additional leg lift and hamstrings as well/straight leg deadlifts will train more flexibility in the hammys) you will be quite sore for the first couple weeks but your

body should get use to it, 2 exercises for each muscle group should be fine as well, also try to incorporate some pull ups and chin ups i have found them most effective for bicep/back size

my work outs on Monday are like this
power cleans-heavy
overhead squats-moderate
one legged squats
glute hams
flat bench
dumbell bench
lat pull down
seated rows with dumbells
DB shrugs
french curls
tri push downs
normal grip pull ups
wide grip pull ups

wednesday
backsquats - heavy
lunges forward and sideways
straight legged deadlifts
incline bench
triangle lat pull down bar thingy
face pulls
dips
chin ups

friday
power snatch
deadlifts
dumbell step ups on bench
flat bench
close grip bench
tricep push downs
db shrugs
lat pull downs
normal/wide grip pull ups

this is my workout and ive been seeing great results, i play d-1 baseball so this is kind of a baseball oriented lift program but ive been growing, i stay between 4-6 reps on legs and 6-8 on arms, and i attach a weight to me on pull ups but if there hard for u to do then use body weight, my leg strength has increased alot, i put up 375 for 3 reps goin just below parallel , and 300 for 5 on deads, my back has seen tremendous growth and strength, there are guys on my team that can bench over 250 but have trouble doing lat pulls with my weight and i dont bench heavy because of my pitching shoulder, just make sure u keep ur lifts balanced, i try to do 1-2 more exercises for back than to bench, any more info just message me or something

jiggagold said:
you need to lower your reps and push/pull programs seem more effective for me 3 days a week, legs as well every M/W/F with one moderate/heavy/light day a week, (overhead squats monday, back squats weds, and front squats friday then and then any other additional leg lift and hamstrings as well/straight leg deadlifts will train more flexibility in the hammys) you will be quite sore for the first couple weeks but your

body should get use to it, 2 exercises for each muscle group should be fine as well, also try to incorporate some pull ups and chin ups i have found them most effective for bicep/back size

my work outs on Monday are like this
power cleans-heavy
overhead squats-moderate
one legged squats
glute hams
flat bench
dumbell bench
lat pull down
seated rows with dumbells
DB shrugs
french curls
tri push downs
normal grip pull ups
wide grip pull ups

wednesday
backsquats - heavy
lunges forward and sideways
straight legged deadlifts
incline bench
triangle lat pull down bar thingy
face pulls
dips
chin ups

friday
power snatch
deadlifts
dumbell step ups on bench
flat bench
close grip bench
tricep push downs
db shrugs
lat pull downs
normal/wide grip pull ups

this is my workout and ive been seeing great results, i play d-1 baseball so this is kind of a baseball oriented lift program but ive been growing, i stay between 4-6 reps on legs and 6-8 on arms, and i attach a weight to me on pull ups but if there hard for u to do then use body weight, my leg strength has increased alot, i put up 375 for 3 reps goin just below parallel , and 300 for 5 on deads, my back has seen tremendous growth and strength, there are guys on my team that can bench over 250 but have trouble doing lat pulls with my weight and i dont bench heavy because of my pitching shoulder, just make sure u keep ur lifts balanced, i try to do 1-2 more exercises for back than to bench, any more info just message me or something

I used to play college ball. I surprised that your reps for arms are so low. Lifting 6-8 reps got me in trouble being a pitcher also.

skullcrushin22 said:
I used to play college ball. I surprised that your reps for arms are so low. Lifting 6-8 reps got me in trouble being a pitcher also.

as long as your doing it correctly there should be no problem, but as soon as i get to january the heavy lifting stops and lighter reps and weights mix into the program with emphasis based around the core and legs throughout the rest of the season and lots of cardio

amoody said:
Can you be more specific? Do you think I am over training? I have been lifting for a little over two years but haven't ever had a trainer so everything I know comes from the internet... Leaving some gaps in my knowledge.

I've never had a trainer. It's just a matter of reading books, learning from experience, notcing what effects your body etc. Don't try to make your own routine until you are thoroughly experienced.

But to answer whats wrong:

Severe overtraining. You are doing quite a few endurance rep ranges. Splits have to be done damn close to perfect in order to outgain compound workouts. Legs twice a week and upperbody 4 times a week is bleh.

Okay. I will look at dropping volume. Right now I am on a school break so I have nothing to do but lift eat and sleep. I am trying to do something more intense than I normally do during classes.

its not too much volume if you're eating well and supplementing

Top Bottom