Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

my powerlifting workout.

Zero02223

I would like everyones opinion on my powerlifting workout.
Its Overhead press, bench, squat and dead lift(in that order)
all of them are 3 sets of 5 reps, 3 of 3 and 2 of 2.

so..press/bench/squat/deadlift all are 3x5 3x3 2x2

You'll most likely say it sucks, but it actually worked very well for my cousin and brother for strength and muscle gain and myself(only strength gain). Maybe some of you should try it out(most likely not) but again, as I am new to this site, I would very much like any and all opinions.

need more info bro.. like what are your stats? age/weight/height/years training. how often do you do this workout? I could see it working for a beginner, but soon you'll have to change that shit

need more info bro.. like what are your stats? age/weight/height/years training. how often do you do this workout? I could see it working for a beginner, but soon you'll have to change that shit

I'm 20, 230lbs and i've been lifting on and off for..6-8 years roughly(on and off because of injuries and having to make school studies my number 1 priority). I do it 3x a week, mon/wed/fri. I just got back into a consistent workout in january, and i started my power lifting "cycle" just this past monday. It's actually a really good strength training exercise for any level if all your looking for is solid strength and no real muscle mass gain.

split that shit up, one major compound movement on a workout day, thrown in 1 or two accessories and youll be straight

obviously foam roll and target weak areas that need mobility training prior to training

How much are you lifting on the various lifts? Give an example of the specific weights you'd use with one workout.

If you are past the "beginner" level, it would be pretty hard to recover from doing that workout three times per week if the 3x5 are all done at ~85% 1RM, the 3x3 are done at ~90% 1RM and the 2x2 are done at ~95% 1RM. That's 28 reps at an average intensity of 88% 1RM per lift. Not to mention there's a lot of overlap between press and bench, and between squat and deadlift. By the time you even get to your deadlifts, you have to be pretty damn fatigued. Consider that even an advanced 5x5 in the volume phase, which only lasts 4 weeks, has you doing 25 reps with probably about 80% of 1RM, only one time per week, and it for the most part splits up exercises which hit the same muscle groups into different days. The programs typically recommended on these forums have average intensities no where near the level that you are doing, unless its for a very short length of time.

How much are you lifting on the various lifts? Give an example of the specific weights you'd use with one workout.

If you are past the "beginner" level, it would be pretty hard to recover from doing that workout three times per week if the 3x5 are all done at ~85% 1RM, the 3x3 are done at ~90% 1RM and the 2x2 are done at ~95% 1RM. That's 28 reps at an average intensity of 88% 1RM per lift. Not to mention there's a lot of overlap between press and bench, and between squat and deadlift. By the time you even get to your deadlifts, you have to be pretty damn fatigued. Consider that even an advanced 5x5 in the volume phase, which only lasts 4 weeks, has you doing 25 reps with probably about 80% of 1RM, only one time per week, and it for the most part splits up exercises which hit the same muscle groups into different days. The programs typically recommended on these forums have average intensities no where near the level that you are doing, unless its for a very short length of time.

well that was all very technical to me and im not the brightest bulb around. i'll just write out my routine. all workouts have the same rep/set scheme.

Press-(3 sets 5 reps) 110 120 130
(3 sets 3 reps) 140 150 160
(2 sets 2 reps) 170 180. my 1 rep max is about 210.
Bench-(195 205 215
225 235 245
255 265 with a 1rpm around 310+/-
squat*same as bench 1rpm included.
deadlift 210 220 230
240 250 260
270 280 1rpm between 320-380 depending on my energy level that day.
i dont know the math(%) regarding how close those are to my 1 rep max.
its a 6-8 week cycle.

while its not very heavy weight by anymeans(i weigh 230, 6ft) i am still very proud of how my lifting strength has progressed.

Ok. Based on what you said now, mostly everything I wrote in the last post is irrelevant, haha.

If you're intent on doing this sort of workout, there's a few things you could probably do to make it better. Split up the upper and lower exercises into 2 days, an A and B day. Something like A-Bench/Squat and then B-Press/Deadlift. Alternate between A and B on M/W/F. Or even 4x per week if you want (M T TH F). You could add another exercise or two to those two main ones, as assistance or whatever. Rows, pullups, incline dumbells, calves, whatever. That will let you put more energy into all four of the lifts instead of having your 2nd lift for that muscle group suffering. As you said above, your deadlift varies between 320-380 based on energy level by that point in the workout.

Also, be aware that you're really only doing about 10 "work" reps (3+3+2+2). Only your last 4 sets are clustered around ~80% 1RM, which is where you want to be generally for strength work. The rest of your sets are really only warmup sets, particularly the first three sets of five that you do, all of which are ~60% or below in terms of intensity. Research indicates that the minimum tension to produce growth/strength gains is about 60% of 1RM. These same facts are probably what has allowed you to use this kind of workout without overtraining. If you were to split the workout up like I suggest above, you could actually stand to do more reps/sets in your "work range," without being as fatigued.

Ok. Based on what you said now, mostly everything I wrote in the last post is irrelevant, haha.

If you're intent on doing this sort of workout, there's a few things you could probably do to make it better. Split up the upper and lower exercises into 2 days, an A and B day. Something like A-Bench/Squat and then B-Press/Deadlift. Alternate between A and B on M/W/F. Or even 4x per week if you want (M T TH F). You could add another exercise or two to those two main ones, as assistance or whatever. Rows, pullups, incline dumbells, calves, whatever. That will let you put more energy into all four of the lifts instead of having your 2nd lift for that muscle group suffering. As you said above, your deadlift varies between 320-380 based on energy level by that point in the workout.

Also, be aware that you're really only doing about 10 "work" reps (3+3+2+2). Only your last 4 sets are clustered around ~80% 1RM, which is where you want to be generally for strength work. The rest of your sets are really only warmup sets, particularly the first three sets of five that you do, all of which are ~60% or below in terms of intensity. Research indicates that the minimum tension to produce growth/strength gains is about 60% of 1RM. These same facts are probably what has allowed you to use this kind of workout without overtraining. If you were to split the workout up like I suggest above, you could actually stand to do more reps/sets in your "work range," without being as fatigued.

thank you. i would also like to take a second to say that the last forum i posted my workout on..the only feedback i got was.."this workout sucks" by different members in different ways. its nice to have some actual feedback from people thats constructive.

By your numbers, age and weight, I would put you in the novice category (unless those are all kilos).

I see some huge imbalances in your numbers. Your squat and bench shouldn't be that close, and your deadlift should be around 100 lbs less than your squat (assuming that these are equipped numbers - if not they should be really close).

I think you need a bit more structure to your workout - at least when it comes to progressions. The workout you posted is getting in the area of the Shieko #29 system. I would suggest that you look into it. Very roughly, it follows your same pattern, but the volume is much, much higher.

Some other details would better help me (us) in learning a bit about you, and we could then give a more clear plan. Can you answer these questions?

1) On each of the big 3 lifts what are your weak points in the lift? For example, do you have a hard time hitting depth or coming out of the hole? What is your bench lockout like? etc, etc....

2) What does your assistance routine look like? Why did you pick those exercises, and more importantly, what quantifiable progress have you made with them?

3) If you are equipped, what gear are you using, and why style of squat are you doing (walk out, monolift)? Are you shirted?

4) Is your deadlift sumo or conventional?

I can help out a bit more if I know these details.

Thanks!

B-

By your numbers, age and weight, I would put you in the novice category (unless those are all kilos).

I see some huge imbalances in your numbers. Your squat and bench shouldn't be that close, and your deadlift should be around 100 lbs less than your squat (assuming that these are equipped numbers - if not they should be really close).

I think you need a bit more structure to your workout - at least when it comes to progressions. The workout you posted is getting in the area of the Shieko #29 system. I would suggest that you look into it. Very roughly, it follows your same pattern, but the volume is much, much higher.

Some other details would better help me (us) in learning a bit about you, and we could then give a more clear plan. Can you answer these questions?

1) On each of the big 3 lifts what are your weak points in the lift? For example, do you have a hard time hitting depth or coming out of the hole? What is your bench lockout like? etc, etc....

2) What does your assistance routine look like? Why did you pick those exercises, and more importantly, what quantifiable progress have you made with them?

3) If you are equipped, what gear are you using, and why style of squat are you doing (walk out, monolift)? Are you shirted?

4) Is your deadlift sumo or conventional?

I can help out a bit more if I know these details.

Thanks!

B-

1-my weakest point is on my squat, when trying to rise back up, but thats because of knee problems, the bench the problem is locking out, but i use an extra wide grip that focuses mainly on the chest and nothing else. no other problems.

2-I do cycles, so right now i only do the workout posted. but my first cycle is a body build cycle, which i do everything.

3-no gear. i take a few steps back from the rack.

4-i dont really know what sumo/conventional is...but i use a over/under grip(right hand over, left hand under).

Top Bottom