Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My new Training Routine

slimjim1985

I'm starting a new routine, a 5X5 variation Split

Monday-

Barbell Bench Press- 5x5
Bent over Rows- 5x5
Overhead Barbell press- 5x5
Assistance: Biceps 3x8

Wednesday-

Squats-5x5
Deadlifts- 5x5
Calf Raise- 5x5
Inverted Crunches-5x12

Thursday-

(Same as monday)
Except..Assistance: Triceps 3x8

Friday-

(Same as Wednesday)
Except.. Planks 5x45seconds

Let me know what you all think?

to be totaly honest i dont like it at all... too much heavier lifting on the same day (deads and squats) and lighter lifting all on one day (bench and rows)... you will not be able to deadlift to your full potential after squats... and im not a big fan of deadlifting twice a week either, thand i had done it in the past a very short period of time...
remember... sometimes more will give you less... the 5x5 program is set up to give you optimal rest... i can understand playing around with the excersises... but as far as heavy lifting goes, i think it should be kept at 3 days... and rest would be better on wed if you do decide to keep it, and move squat/dead back to tuesday... you will want rest the day after if you decide to go with squat/dead on the same day...

to be totaly honest i dont like it at all... too much heavier lifting on the same day (deads and squats) and lighter lifting all on one day (bench and rows)... you will not be able to deadlift to your full potential after squats... and im not a big fan of deadlifting twice a week either, thand i had done it in the past a very short period of time...
remember... sometimes more will give you less... the 5x5 program is set up to give you optimal rest... i can understand playing around with the excersises... but as far as heavy lifting goes, i think it should be kept at 3 days... and rest would be better on wed if you do decide to keep it, and move squat/dead back to tuesday... you will want rest the day after if you decide to go with squat/dead on the same day...

No your right, that would be too taxing...to be honest I have yet to dead 5x5 twice a week. I am still trying to tweak this around. I tried deads at 2x5 with squats and liked it. I found a variation at stronglifts (I think) that laid out this split but with deadlifts at 1x5 on leg day. I have never tried a program like this as I always stuck to my tried and true methods which I am no longer fond of. I'd like to see how i respond this type of training.

i can never settle on a set workout plan myself... im always playing around with planning somthing out... but when i get to the gym i usually deviate a bit and just do what 'feels' right for my body... i just keep a couple rules... squat twice a week (every other workout)... deadlift on wed (which is sunday for me)... and bench and military press once or twice a week, but not both twice... other than that i pretty much stick to the same basic moves (rows, dips, pullovers, lunges ets) but i vary their frequency from week to week... just try to do what feels right...

edit: but i do like the madness behind your plan :evil:

i'm usually like that at the gym. just listening to my body. But I want to be strict this time, recording and keeping track of my progress. Do you think 1x5 for deads once a week on a leg day would work or more sets you think?

personaly, i like to have a day for deadlifts, but i do think it would work... maybe even better than what i do, its just i enjoy the deadlifting so much i couldnt go without... i would do squat sets first, then very minimal warmup of deads, for example, if squat max set is 405, begin warmup a bit heavier than usual at 225x3, 315x3 and so on into your work set... i have done this too and it beats your ass... but with only doing deads once a week i would do two heavy intense work sets, 5's & 3's or 1's... i think you could actualy get great results with this... i still would only do deads once a week and do somthing else on your other leg day... heavy barbell lunges, cleans or goodmornings... or rotate the three... just some ideas...

Top Bottom