Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My Journey into the Smolov Squat program

coolcolj

Well I'm on a Holiday till After Christmas - so what better thing to than to do Soviet Smolov Squat program! :D

Its hard work though squatting 4 times a week - take a look

This is just the first phase.

Week 1
Day 1 - 4x9 70% of 1RM
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - 5x7 75%
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - 7x5 80%
Day 6 - 10x3 85%
Day 7 - Rest

Week 2 - add 20lbs!

Week 3 - add 10lbs

Week 4- Rest until Thurs or Friday - test new Max. Most people add around 40-55 lbs from what I hear.

Only the hardy need apply :p

I'll be upping my protein intake another 100grams over what I normally take in. Sleeping as much as I can, and just being plain lazy :)

I'll be adding some other exercises on the various days. With moderate intensity and sets, presses and bench will have some mild band tension.

Day1 - Bent over rows
Day2 - Overhead Press and Upright Row
Day3 - Bench
Day4 - Chins

Plus I'll be doing some light Olympic lifts form work at the start of each session, and some bodyweight reverse hypers and light ab work after each session.

I'll be doing a Full Olympic Squat - current max estimated at 270lbs - I should be good for 315 by Christmas - hopefully :) Some light bands will be added to kick in halfway up. Just to keep me honest in pushing all the way up.

Well I started today, 4 sets of 9 with 190lbs+light bands kicking in after the sticking point. Worked well, the bands really made me squat more forcefully. But I failed on the fourth set at the 7th rep. In hindsight because of the bands, I should have used 185lbs or 180lbs.

It was BRUTAL! I'm not used to squatting above 5 reps. needless to say my Legs were pumped like balloons, on the 4th set they were so tight, I could barely feel them :)

I'll keep you guys posted! If I hit 200lbs I'll post some before and after pics. At the very least my legs should blow up a bit :p Current weight is 193-194lbs - yes it went up this week after my rows and bench session :fro:

Guess I'll have to postpone my deadlift Max PR attempt. I should be able to hit 500lbs a week after this you'd think :)

In 2 days time - 5 sets of 7 reps with 195lbs+bands - gulp...

Last edited:
Junior version seems more sane :)

Speaking of superstrength, try the following Russian powerlifting routine if you have what
it takes! Based on a recent max practice of a lift
or two:

Workout # 1 70%x6x6 (reps x sets)

Workout # 2 75%x5x7

Workout # 3 80%x4x8

Workout # 4 85%x3x10

The original routine by Smolov calls for practicing a powerlift four gruesome times a week
but I shall kindly let you off the hook with two or three times. Do not train both the
deadlift and the squat in one cycle, one or the other. The second lift can be the clean
and press or the bench press. Do it on a separate day. Come to think of it, the program is
so brutal, you may want to do nothing but the DL or the SQ followed up by some Relax into
Stretch stretches.

In the workouts # 5-8 follow the same sequence but add 10-20 pounds to your 70, 75, 80,
and 85% in the DL or SQ; 5-10 in the press. The workouts # 9-12 call for half that
increase: 5-10 in the big lifts and 2.5-5 in the press.

When you have completed the twelve sessions, which should take you from three to six weeks
rest for 5-7 days and test your max again.

Make sure to practice all the Power to the
People! high tension techniques; remember that
any routine is worthless without the proper skills. If you have never done a high volume
SQ, DL, or KB program prep yourself for this schedule by doing 5x5 with a comfortable
weight three times a week for a couple of weeks.

And judging by today's results, and knowing my own body. I will cut the volume down a bit.

Day 1 - 3x9 70% of 1RM 27 total reps
Day 2 - 4x7 75% 28 TR
Day 3 - 5x5 80% 25 TR
Day 4 - 8x3 85% 24 TR

This looks good. Do 2 of these a week, plus a day for Bench and rows etc. I'll add 10lbs for the 2nd cycle and then 5lbs on the 3rd.

Or

Day 1 - 5x6 70% 30TR
Day 2 - 6x5 75% 30TR
Day 3 - 7x4 80% 28TR
Day 4 - 8x3 85% 24TR

Add 10lbs on the 2nd way through the cycle and then 5lbs on the 3rd.

these fully planned out routines work better if you complete the whole lot.....you will gain strength and functional size using half, but i would be inclined to finish it up

Mekannik - good gains.

That Smolov is supposed to wack on up to 100lbs if you follow the whole 12 weeks.

why are you changing your program, you were already making great gains, i think u could be making a mistake

Top Bottom