Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

my first try on constructing a 9 week westside inspired training programm

the koala

week 1-3

ME bench
incline bp work up to 1 rm
close grips work up to 2 sets of 5
trics 3of10
power cleans 4x8
lats

ME squat
atf squats work up to 1rm
ghrs 5of10
abs

DE bench
10 sets of 3 60% (changing grips)
medium grip benches work up to 2 of 5
trics 3of10
front side rear delt raise 2sets of 20 each

DE squat
10 sets of 3 60%
regular comp squats work up to 2 sets of 5
ghrs 3of10
lats
abs

week 4-6

ME bench
military press work up to 3rm
illegal wides work up to 2 sets of 5
5 board press 2of10
face pulls 5of10
lats

ME squat
box squats paralell
ghrs 5of5
abs

DE bench
10 sets of 3 60% (changing grips)
incline bp work up to 2 of 5
trics 3of10
face pulls 5of10

DE Squat
10 sets of 3 (three week wave 50-60%)
atf squats work up to 2 of 5
ghrs
abs
lats

Week 6-9

ME bench
cg bp work up to 1 rm
bb flat bench 2 of 5
trics
front-side-rear delt combo 2 of 20

ME squat
gm squats work up to 1 rm
ghrs
abs

DE squat
10 of 3 (three week wave 50-60%)
deep box squats work up to 2 of 5
ghrs
lats
abs

ME bench
10 of 3 60% (changing grips)
military press work up to 2 sets of 5
trics
lats

what do you guys say?

based on the experience i gained after my 2 runs of the basic westside programm i wrote this programm

there is a noticable discrepancy between volume on squat and on bench days
this is because while being on the 9 weeks training programm i always felt like doing too little on bench days, and on squat days i always felt worn out afterwards
also i gained really good on my squats on both runs whereas my bench improved little in comparison to it

on bench i try to do lots of movements from the chest, some tric work, lats and assistance
also i think my delts are my weak point so i tryed to get alot of exercises which stress the delts

on squat i try to do alot of squatting below paralell to strengthen my glutes and to gain power out of the hole

on DE days i cylce the squat in a three week periodization (50-60%) and on bench i stay at 60% but change grips weekly (wide - medium - raw)
also on DE squats i try squatting without the box - competition style

thanks in advance for any feedback,
the koala

i'd really appreciate it if somebody would just say something to the programm...
is it that bad?

this is really important for me since this is the plan i will stick too for 9 whole weeks and i don't want to get even started before some of the experienced guys on here say at least how much it sucks....

some other things that may be of interest:
i train raw except for belt, knee/wrist wraps
i will stick to the assistance exercises for 3 weeks then change them
i don't have acces to a ghr/rh.....
i have bands, a low box (able to be stacked up to a parallel one)
two-boards, 4-boards, 5-boards, no chains

.... i'd really appreciate any help
thanks in advance, the koala

why no deadlifts done for ME work in there?
i made the mistake of not doing much pulling and it took me a long time to find my groove..

i would suggest not writing out what you are going to do but rather have a basic idea..I dont like the free squats after box squats..also keep to the basics of GM's..

I would thinbk a better rotation for ME sq/dl
would like like this
some variation of GM's
low or high box
GM variation
Deadlift variation
repeat

now you can choose to change the move each week (like i do) or you can stick with each for no more than 3 weeks..if you stick with it for 3 weeks i would work up to a 3-5 rep for the first 2 weeks then on the 3rd week go for a 1RM unless doing arched GM's just work up to a 3rm..suspended GM's can be done for a 1RM

for bench since your raw i wouldnt go above the 3 brd level i would work the 1 and 2 brds with a close grip..cycle in some decline as ME work as well..work the lats very hard as well as the triceps and your form

finally!
thanks so much for the feedback!

about deadlifts, i don't do any deadlifting and they still go up, yes it always takes me some time to get into the groove, but my deadlift is always far ahead of my squat

about gms, i love them and i can really feel the benefit from them, once i get out of the hole on squats the weight just shoots up
nevertheless i wanted to concentrate more on 'out of the hole' power here

I'm trying to figure out where to start so bear with me, obviously you work out at a "gym" so I will try to keep that in mind along the way, this will be a work in progress....

Starting off, incline... work up to a max triple, this will keep a little volume up and later i will link you to a good matrix for keeping up the volume. I think you are not far enough along to work up to a single max and besides, who can incline that much anyway. Don't forget, the basic model is bench, then tri's, back and shoulders. I prefer to touch chest one week and bench to boards the next. On ME days, heavy bench and lighter accessories, on DE days, lighter bench, heavy accessories.

ME Squat / deadlift, no one cares how deep you go beyond parallel, besides, everyone has a different interpretation on what parallel is. Do good mornings like no ones business, work up to a three rep max, remember, bend until the belt touches the tops of your legs. These can be used as a ME movement or accessory, don't worry about your back until your in the 500 pound range, then go raw after that.

The basic template for ME lower is a squat or dead variation, lower back, hamstrings / glutes and abs.

Let me know what you can do at your gym, movement wise, don't get too excited about using equipment because you don't want to get too much of an ego too soon and become too dependant on it, you need a good partner and two is always better than one, and decide what federation you want to lift in.

Sorry for taking so long to help a brother in need, that's why we are here.

Squat below parallel especially on your speed days. No matter what depth you use just write it down. AND SOME DO CARE ABOUT SQUATTING DEEP. Do it in training and the meet is a breeze. And there is no need to do a few sets of competition squats. Your speed day squats should be performed as if it were a meet. Do some leg presses or leg extensions for a couple sets if you want.

I dont recommend changing the grips on speed days for benching. Although Louie Simmons recommends it I disagree with him.

Do varying types of dumbell skullcrushers, board presses and seated rows along with kelso rows.

I dont think you should be detailing an exercise like military presses for me. If anything use illegal grip presses for ME and then a couple of military presses. I am a believer to mimic you pressing motion as much as possible. Too many ME exercises are ineffective.

Hope I helped.

thanks a lot guys for all the replies!

the reason for all the below parallel squatting doesn't come from an empiric background but rather from a simple conclusion - when your squat below parallel goes up, your parallel squat has too, hasn't it?

my weak point on squats is always out of the hole, that's why i tried to get so much below parallel squats in
i love gms and i can handle quite some weight (for me that is), but i don't quite feel the carryover to squats

on bench i tried to work in an idea which i read in one of jim wendler's articles,
i do my ME stuff, then do an exercise for the bottom end, an exercise for the top end and accessory stuff, the intensity looks like this: ME exercise - high intensity (of course), bottom end starting from the chest exercise - medium intensity; top end & accessory - low intensity high volume

@ the future, about military presses as an ME exercise, i don't know myself but i am eager to try out,
i really believe that my weak point on bench are my shoulders, when benching, i get the weight of the chest, then i struggle, then i blast it to lockout,
since my strength in military pressing improved, i definately felt a carryover

equipment-wise, all i haven't is a glute ham raise, and a reverse hyper,
i work out at home,
the ghrs in my program are done in my powerrack (very interesting construction i came up with), of course they aren't equivalent in anyways to a ghr machine, but you got to work with what you have.....

thanks in advance, and thanks alot for all the input!

Chambewy20 said:
I'm trying to figure out where to start so bear with me, obviously you work out at a "gym" so I will try to keep that in mind along the way, this will be a work in progress....

Starting off, incline... work up to a max triple, this will keep a little volume up and later i will link you to a good matrix for keeping up the volume. I think you are not far enough along to work up to a single max and besides, who can incline that much anyway. Don't forget, the basic model is bench, then tri's, back and shoulders. I prefer to touch chest one week and bench to boards the next. On ME days, heavy bench and lighter accessories, on DE days, lighter bench, heavy accessories.

ME Squat / deadlift, no one cares how deep you go beyond parallel, besides, everyone has a different interpretation on what parallel is. Do good mornings like no ones business, work up to a three rep max, remember, bend until the belt touches the tops of your legs. These can be used as a ME movement or accessory, don't worry about your back until your in the 500 pound range, then go raw after that.

The basic template for ME lower is a squat or dead variation, lower back, hamstrings / glutes and abs.

Let me know what you can do at your gym, movement wise, don't get too excited about using equipment because you don't want to get too much of an ego too soon and become too dependant on it, you need a good partner and two is always better than one, and decide what federation you want to lift in.

Sorry for taking so long to help a brother in need, that's why we are here.

"You must spread some Karma around...."

Great Post!

Top Bottom