Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My first day training strongman!!

KillahBee

While you read this keep in mind - I am just beginning, I am not really that strong anyway, and I have a shoulder injury.

Anyway, went to the A.R.T. doc yesterday and he made my shoulder feel better than it has in months, so I figured today would be perfect to do a little strongman with some very amatuer implements I made.

Implements used:
2 curl bars with some plates.
2 50 pound sand bags I bought and wrapped in duct tape.

I am in the process of making a sled and buying a keg.

Here is how the day went. Like I said, I didn't even really know what I was doing (somewhat), but gave it a try anyway!
I found a parking lot about 5 miles from my apt. with ample space and seemed to be out of the way. The only problem is that it is part of a huge corporate office space.

Farmers walk:
used the curl bars, about 65 pounds in each hand.
walked the width of the parking lot, from one end to the other. then walked from one end to the other and back. turning is hard as hell!
It is also funny cause I am sure that I could do this with 65 dumbbells with much ease. it's the distribution of weight that kills you here.

Stone loads:
used the 50 lb. bags of sand wrapped in duct tape. I actually found a large stone wall surrounding the lower parking lot that I used. it was about 5' 1/2" high.
Picked the bag up off the cement, walked about 30 yards to wall, up a curb, then loaded it onto the wall. I then sprinted back to the starting point and did the same with the second bag. When both were loaded, I grabbed both together and walked them back to the starting point as fast as possible.

Yoke walk:

I loaded the curl bar with the only plates I had, ended up being about 115 pounds. I then realized my biggest problem: how do I load the bar on my back?! My shoulder is to weak right now to actually overhead push it over my head and onto my back. I actually found a cement block about 3 feet high, set the loaded bar on there, sqauted down with my back against the block, and rolled the bar onto my back, squating up. I then walked about 50 yards and turned and walked back. Then, problem #2: how to unload the bar off my back?! Overall stupid thinking and dangerous too. Need to find a way to make this happen.

Medley:

I decided to do a little medley with what I had. I started the bag load just like before, except this time, after loading the second and final bag, I had my farmers walk implements right there. I picked them up and walked them back to the starting point, turned around and went back to the wall. I then loaded both the bags together and ran them back to the starting point.

Notes: That was fun as hell! I loved every second of it! Obviously I am new to this and pretty weak, even when my shoulder is 100%. But, I think I did pretty good on my own. I am going to work on making a sled and getting a keg.

For next time:
buy more plates for the farmers walk
get heavier bags for the stone load
figure out what the hell I am doing with the yoke walk
bring something to snack on!
don't push it with the injury.
Questions:
tips for turning on the farmers walk?
tips for yoke walk?

Overall I am very happy and extremely pumped about this. As soon as my shoulder is better (process just made a significant jump thanks to A.R.T., I will start eating and training like a strongman).

I have more respect than you can believe for any strongman after today.

Lord_Suston said:
Nice man, I did not know there was this board, you come and trin with NYTC if you want

I was actually gonna PM you and tell you about the board. we need all the support we can get, especially from knowledgeable guys like you.

As soon as my shoulder gets better I will come knockin on your door to train, belive me bro. Today was my first time even trying strongman and I think I might have fallen in love! :heart: :destroy:

BOOEY said:
Fuckin awesome .. keep it up!

thanks bro. it was fun as hell, and I was all by myself! Today my upper back, lower back, and delts are hurting the most I think. Hopefully I will have a sled in the next few weeks, as I assume that will be fun as hell. I should also have a few pics from yesterday up tomorrow.

Do you have a bar and some chains?

I used to hang chains from my bar and loop the chains through 45's...then get under the bar and pick it up on my back and walk with it...like a swinging yoke.

I'd also carry it in the crooks of my arms like a conan's wheel.

Don't wait till you are HEALED to go and train with Suston...GO NOW and start learning NOW!!!!

B True

b fold the truth said:
Do you have a bar and some chains?

I used to hang chains from my bar and loop the chains through 45's...then get under the bar and pick it up on my back and walk with it...like a swinging yoke.

I'd also carry it in the crooks of my arms like a conan's wheel.

Don't wait till you are HEALED to go and train with Suston...GO NOW and start learning NOW!!!!

B True

that's a good idea with the bar and the chains. but, I will still be facing the same dilemma of getting the bar on and off of my back. any tips?

I took a pic of the wall I use to load the sandbags. I have a feeling this wall is going to become a close friend...

KillahBee said:
that's a good idea with the bar and the chains. but, I will still be facing the same dilemma of getting the bar on and off of my back. any tips?

You have to set the chains long enough so that when you pick up the bar on your back...the plates are about 6" from the ground. This would mean that you would have to hold up the bar, squat under it, and squat the bar, chains, and plates up. When you are done...just drop down about 6" till the plates catch...and walk out from under the bar.

I love the wall!!!

B True

Top Bottom