Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My Experience training w/ Frank Zane in CA....

JKURZ.....Back workout was intense. Interestingly Frank never went to full extension on lat pulldowns. We did them to the front with the hammer gripped pulldown bar. He would bring the bar to his chest and let it back up very slowly, but never to the point of fully extending arms. The slight bend at the top put kept the tension on my lats and it burned more than I ever felt them before. He was a fan of dumbell rows. He performed them by leaning one hand on the dumbell rack. I still do them with one leg on a bench, this feels better to me. I was surprised that he prefered using the machine row machine. Specifically he liked the one where you could essentially do one arm rows independently. Shrugs were not a priority to him. I chose to stick w/ my back routine, its my best bodypart. The one thing I did incorporate was the neg. on the lat pull down and NOT going to full extension.

I switch between Pulldown work and row work frequently. I used to do pull ups, however I feel I have more control doing pulldowns, but thats me. I am a huge fan of pullups though.

Anyway heres what I do, I will use Bent over rows here first.

1 warmup 45's a side 15 reps slow
3 working sets working my way to 225 for 12 reps with a slight hold at top. I always pull back with my elbows, helps me concentrate more.

3 sets of dumbell rows 100's for 10-12 reps. I bring the dumbell to the lower half of my torso, again pulling with my elbow, very controlled.

3 sets of barbell shrugs.
1st set 225 for 15 reps w/ 2-3 sec hold at top. I work my way to 315/375. On my last set I superset w/ 100lb dbels for as many reps as I can. I believe in holding the weight as high up as possible and squeezing as hard as possible.

6 sets of pull downs.

3 to the front and 3 using close grip bar.

I really dont go insane here w/ weight. This movement is easy to screw up if you dont use perfect control. In both movements as I bring the bar down I extend my chest out and force my elbows back. I then lower the weight slowly w/out ever fully extending. This is pure torture!!!

thats it, very simple, doesnt take long. I really dont rest, my partner goes and then Im right back in doing my set. As for lower back, I get plenty of work doing bent over rows and SLDL on leg day for hams.

I will tell you what Frank told me which I have neglected for years....the seratus( spelling) He would do 4 sets pof pullovers on a bench with feet on floor. Im assuming you know of these. I have been doing them for 3 months now, never heavier than 75's. Let me tell you, when you hit a side oblique pose...NOTHING looks better than having your seratus look like the teeth of a hungry lion. I do these either on chest or back day, depending how I feel. Peace.

punch said:
I switch between Pulldown work and row work frequently. I used to do pull ups, however I feel I have more control doing pulldowns, but thats me. I am a huge fan of pullups though.

Anyway heres what I do, I will use Bent over rows here first.

1 warmup 45's a side 15 reps slow
3 working sets working my way to 225 for 12 reps with a slight hold at top. I always pull back with my elbows, helps me concentrate more.

3 sets of dumbell rows 100's for 10-12 reps. I bring the dumbell to the lower half of my torso, again pulling with my elbow, very controlled.

3 sets of barbell shrugs.
1st set 225 for 15 reps w/ 2-3 sec hold at top. I work my way to 315/375. On my last set I superset w/ 100lb dbels for as many reps as I can. I believe in holding the weight as high up as possible and squeezing as hard as possible.

6 sets of pull downs.

3 to the front and 3 using close grip bar.

I really dont go insane here w/ weight. This movement is easy to screw up if you dont use perfect control. In both movements as I bring the bar down I extend my chest out and force my elbows back. I then lower the weight slowly w/out ever fully extending. This is pure torture!!!

thats it, very simple, doesnt take long. I really dont rest, my partner goes and then Im right back in doing my set. As for lower back, I get plenty of work doing bent over rows and SLDL on leg day for hams.

I will tell you what Frank told me which I have neglected for years....the seratus( spelling) He would do 4 sets pof pullovers on a bench with feet on floor. Im assuming you know of these. I have been doing them for 3 months now, never heavier than 75's. Let me tell you, when you hit a side oblique pose...NOTHING looks better than having your seratus look like the teeth of a hungry lion. I do these either on chest or back day, depending how I feel. Peace.
i never liked pullovers on a bench, but god damn it gyms need to bring back the nautilus pull over machine, that shit would burn up ur lats and serratus like no other

I love pullovers...........Use them on chest day to, just not as deep....you can also do them kneeling with the rope on the cables....sort of like for abs, but with an exxagerrated pulling motion..........wonder why there are no deads in this program? Leg day only?

Top Bottom