Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Muscle Density

keiko

Can someone explain the dynamics of muscle density? How do muscles get hard--can you make strength gains without actual hardness ? I know AS contributes to density, but how? Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I don't really understand how this works.
Thanks.

It is my understanding that muscle hardness is most directly correlated to resting tension in the muscle. Stength training causes very high muscle tension and over time this will increase the amount of resting tension in the muscle, hence they feel harder. Powerlifter muscles are almost always 'denser' than those that train for size only.

There are several ongoing theories about a certain type of hypertrophy, the name I don't remember off the top of my head, that supposedly causes more density due to new muscle fiber growth. We know muscle fibers increase in size through hypertrophy. We also know that we can achieve sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, which is the plasma in between the fibers. What has not been proven however is the stimulation of actual new muscle fibers. Many think that heavy training will create this phenomenon but again there has not been proof of this yet.

arnold said that his and franco's density is due to their powerlifting backrounds....good post vegeta,,its funny how science has yet to prove the perfect lifting theory yet, its mostly trial and error

saw a study on powerlifting type movements. over time, there is actually LESS fiber involvement, but the fibers that are working are very strong and maxed out for size. this being the case, you would want to cycle between power and fiber recruitment programs. ie, hypertrophy and exercises that challenge the cns to increase its efficiency. so basically, the more fibers you can activate, then train to maximum hypertrophy, the fuller, harder and thicker you get.

I agree with bignate73.

It seems much more reasonable that a good hypertrophy program would help increase muscle density rather than just a powerlifting program. One thing that helped out me with looking a lot "thicker" is to increase my protein intake.

Last summer I upped my protein from 200g (I weighted 200 lbs.) to 300-375g per day. This REALLY effected my body a LOT. I gained a LOT of strength VERY VERY quickly and my muscles really hardened up a lot. They felt hard even when they werent flexed I couldnt understand it.

"It seems much more reasonable that a good hypertrophy program would help increase muscle density rather than just a powerlifting program."

Reason doesn't always dictate truth. It has been proven absolutely over time that heavy weights make harder muscles. There is no doubting this fact. Just because your muscles are bigger and fuller due to hypertrophy does NOT mean they are any harder. Look at the bloated mass freaks of today. Much of their size is due to sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, that is the plasma material in between muscle fibers. Big they are, hard they aren't. I guarantee if you were to feel a pro's muscle then feel a powerlifters muscle, you would notice a much harder muscle on the powerlifter. Size does nor ever will indicate hardness.

"saw a study on powerlifting type movements. over time, there is actually LESS fiber involvement, but the fibers that are working are very strong and maxed out for size. "

This is very true as it is the basis for strength training. Strength training works because it makes your exisiting muscle fibers more efficient, therefore you can push more weight with the same amount of muscle as you've always had. Hypertrophy training makes you stronger due to bigger muscles, though I guarantee muscle efficiency will win over time in the strength game.

The trick obviously is to do a bit of both. Make your muscles stronger and bigger to bet the best of both worlds. Train for strength first to get a good initial base. Then train for growth to make those efficient muscles bigger and even more efficient. Strength should come first as it will allow you to push more weight on a hypertrophy phase which means more stimulation for growth.

But we got off base here, the question was simply asking how to make muscle harder and I've covered it already. Lift heavier to increase resting tension. Read material from any of the well known strength coaches; Pavel, Poliquin, Chek, etc.. and you will find this info is very well known.

Thanks, guys! My lower body is very hard, as I use heavy weights, but, (like how many females?) I've not really max'ed out my upper body cuz I didn't want to get bigger.

No, I don't do baby-pink, light weights, high reps, but I haven't lifted anything very impressive either. So, I guess I'll re-think my strategy.

Top Bottom