Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Motivation

nzafi

I was wondering how you guys motivate yourselves?For me this is a huge issuse. I have been working about for about 5years now, but never for more than 3 months in a row. I work out 3 and then take 3 off, which is not exactly good. But this is due to injuries and motivation. I am 5'11-6' and used to weigh 125lbs. Right now I am about 165lbs and bigger than I thought I would ever get. I am still skinny especially compared to many of you, but tried to push myself further has been tough. Also, what are some suggested supplements. All i take it protein and vitamins, that and I try to eat as much as possible. Glutamine and creatine a good idea?Thanks

The best way that I motivate myself in general is by writing down realistic short-term goals. I try to set two or three month goals, instead of year long goals. That way I can see my progress, and fine tune my workouts accordingly. If something is working I leave it alone, if not, I adjust and fine tune it.

When you say that you stop working out because of injuries, what type of injuries are you talking about? Could you be overtraining, and not taking days off?

i have overtrained before and took time off and because I took time off I was too lazy to start up again. I had a bunch of problems with my shoulder in past that always ended up with my taking time off too. I was at my biggest August of last year, I had been working out for 3-4 months and i was still motivated and then i had a subluxation of my right shoulder, followed up a second subluxation 1.5 months later. This forced me to be off from working out from Sept-Jan. I have been on and off since then. I think I have gotten to the same strength as before but my work out is very different. However, I have to avoid pull ups and heavy pull downs to prevent another subluxation. I used to coach/play tennis and the shoulder injury has pretty much put an end to that

There are about 40 other guys in the US who are working for the same thing that I am. Every day that I slack off...is a day that they either catch up or blow farther by me.

If I did not train...I would begin to die inside...piece by piece.

B True

I just look at the progress (even if small) I have made and tell myself that if I just keep pushing myself a little more, the progress will continue.

yeah...i mean the big thing for me was that i always just wanted to be able to max. at 200lbs on flat bench.....small goal. I am only 165lbs but last time I tried i could do 200lbs 3 sets x8 reps. and I am stronger now. Today I did on incline 170lbs 4 setsx5 and 185 x3. It is not alot of weight for most of you, but its far beyond what I thought I would ever be able to do. I would love to get much stronger and bigger, but you all know that heavier you go the harder it gets and thats what seperates people at different levels of fitness. biggest thing for me right now is deciding how much i want it and if i am willing to work for it. Thanks for the advice guys

Some other advice I would give you

1) Don't compare yourself and what you lift to others. When I am in the gym my only thought is what I have planned for today. I go in and I do the best I can with that.

2) Good attitude. Always lift with the idea that you KNOW you can lift that weight. Too many people psyche themselves out before they even try to lift a weight.

3) Forget the past. Don't worry about what happened yesterday, today is a new day. I keep a training log to track my numbers, but I don't dwell on past failures or accomplishments. The only time that I might think about a bad workout is to motivate me for the next workout, and force myself to do better.

It kills me inside not to do this consistently. So to keep it short, thats the main reason I do this. So thats my motivation. Sometimes it can be a bitch to continue the training and hardest of all for me, the eating. I think that type of motivation, you either have or you dont. It can stem from all types of fucked up past events, trauma etc. But you dont just decide to be that way. Intense rage like that, isnt standard. The short term goals also help in keeping the motivation. I also keep records of measurements, pictures and lifts to be able to see the progress Im making. And that offers encouragement. Looks like youve made some great progress. It really depends on what you really want. You have to figure that out first, then you can take the necessary steps to get there. Keep it up!!

Originally my problem was eating... i would train as hard as i could but i would still barely eat, so i got nowhere fast......I have a twin and at one point he was 30lbs heavier than me.....we got into a little brawl one day and he picked me up like a baby and pushed me around....the next day I was in the gym.......we used to work out together all the time and we new how to maximize each other's workout, but due to work and school we cant work out together anymore......i always had him around to give me extra incentive or push...i forced myself to push myself harder than him everyday....and it worked, but now that i go by myself i get lazy.......i think if i can manage to get into a good rythm ill be fine....thanks again for the replies

Top Bottom