Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Morons at the gym (the official thread)...

djeclipse

All the time I read about your encounters with jackasses at the gym that do rediculous workouts, make resiculous claims simply do lifts improperly with very limited range of motion. I personally like reading about them as them are always good for a chuckle. Post your stories here for us all to enjoy.

Here are 2 stories from my workout yesterday.

Yesterday I was doing squats which are pretty sad at this point in time, legs are by far my weakest bodypart. The weight doesn't feel heavy on my back at all (that used to be a big issue), thanks to this board I have the weight resting properly on my shoulders instead of my spine, I don't even feel it which lets me focus more on the actual squat.

Anyway I am just about to do my last set when these 2 douches tried to hurry me off the squat rack. I was doing full ATF squats (to get 4 reps of a whopping 195lbs, yes my legs are very week), while these 2 tools stair at me with an odd look on their faces like I'm doing something they've never seen before.

I remove my weights and give them the rack. The guy has that spung pad thing in his hand and gives me this look like he's hard core. They then proceed to do these 1/4 squats moving about 6" up and down (no exaggeration) working up to the same weight I just finished doing full ATF squats with. Of course after their set they would walk around with their chests pushed out like they were some kind of strongmen... Do they seriously think they are doing squats?

Then the one guy loads the bar up with a 45, 25, & 35 plate in that order (on each side) and does the same 1/4squat does about 2 times and I guess for the 3rd one he went down to far and learned pretty fast that he was unable to do a full squat with that weight... he just dropped and had to leave the bar on the rack.

Story #2, I was asked to spot this guy on the smith machine doing decline bench (the gym doesn't have a decline bench so a lot of the guys use the smith machine). It was loaded up with way more then this roid head could ever dream of lifting. He literally move the bear up and down like 3", I was like WTF is this guy doing. I stood there trying not to laugh and only helped him get the bar back to the top for the last "rep". He gets up and says "man, that sucked, I usually do more".

I see this that same guy try and tell his buddy to do his BBrows standing at a 45deg angle because he gets a better pimp that way. He didn't like it much when I mentioned that for the best possible back growth they should be done 90deg to the ground, back arched etc, and doing them at 45deg was more of a biceps workout then back. He was even more pissed when his buddy took my advice and did a few sets properly.

What is it with these guys doing these half assed lifts with such limited range of motion? I can see if they are injured but what's the point of loading up the bar only to do a half assed set.

djeclipse said:
Story #2, I was asked to spot this guy on the smith machine doing decline bench (the gym doesn't have a decline bench so a lot of the guys use the smith machine). It was loaded up with way more then this roid head could ever dream of lifting. He literally move the bear up and down like 3", I was like WTF is this guy doing. I stood there trying not to laugh and only helped him get the bar back to the top for the last "rep". He gets up and says "man, that sucked, I usually do more".
Tell him next time that he can get more reps out if he doesn't move the bar so far. He's losing energy with all that movement. You could even point out that gravity is slightly weaker the further away from the ground the bar is. That explains why you can use more weight at the top of the rep and why long-armed guys can bench more.

djeclipse said:
All the time I read about your encounters with jackasses at the gym that do rediculous workouts, make resiculous claims simply do lifts improperly with very limited range of motion. I personally like reading about them as them are always good for a chuckle. Post your stories here for us all to enjoy.

Here are 2 stories from my workout yesterday.

Yesterday I was doing squats which are pretty sad at this point in time, legs are by far my weakest bodypart. The weight doesn't feel heavy on my back at all (that used to be a big issue), thanks to this board I have the weight resting properly on my shoulders instead of my spine, I don't even feel it which lets me focus more on the actual squat.

Anyway I am just about to do my last set when these 2 douches tried to hurry me off the squat rack. I was doing full ATF squats (to get 4 reps of a whopping 195lbs, yes my legs are very week), while these 2 tools stair at me with an odd look on their faces like I'm doing something they've never seen before.

I remove my weights and give them the rack. The guy has that spung pad thing in his hand and gives me this look like he's hard core. They then proceed to do these 1/4 squats moving about 6" up and down (no exaggeration) working up to the same weight I just finished doing full ATF squats with. Of course after their set they would walk around with their chests pushed out like they were some kind of strongmen... Do they seriously think they are doing squats?

Then the one guy loads the bar up with a 45, 25, & 35 plate in that order (on each side) and does the same 1/4squat does about 2 times and I guess for the 3rd one he went down to far and learned pretty fast that he was unable to do a full squat with that weight... he just dropped and had to leave the bar on the rack.

I see this that same guy try and tell his buddy to do his BBrows standing at a 45deg angle because he gets a better pimp that way. He didn't like it much when I mentioned that for the best possible back growth they should be done 90deg to the ground, back arched etc, and doing them at 45deg was more of a biceps workout then back. He was even more pissed when his buddy took my advice and did a few sets properly.

What is it with these guys doing these half assed lifts with such limited range of motion? I can see if they are injured but what's the point of loading up the bar only to do a half assed set.

ego, it is all about the ego

You mean there are others in the gym during your training sessions ...

I must be doing something wrong ! I've been so focused on my own progress i must have forgot to look around .. lol

I'll never forget the time I saw this dude benching, going heavy as he could. Guy was maybe 160-ish and his buddy spotting looked like an older version of Joe Dirt - I'm talkin' full on mullett and dinky little mustache , sleeveless shirt despite absolute lack of arm musculature, and (my favorite part) wearing jeans to work out :)

Anywho, No-Mullett tries 225 and almost gets one on his own. So what does he do next? Throws on another plate per side for 315. I made sure to be ready to run over in case Mullett couldn't row the weight off No-Mullett. They managed to synchronize their might and rack the bar, and I'll be damned if No-Mullett didn't jump off the bench like he had set a world record.

That and the occasional 'super curler' are about the only really stupid things I've seen. I've learned to accept that bad squatting is ubiquitous and unlikely to go away in any of our lifetimes.

I had to wait, and I am not exaggerating, almost 25 MINUTES to do squats because some new year's newcomers (4 of them!!!!) were doing curls in the squat rack..

It is something that everyone hates and talks about all the time... but everytime it happens, you still get pist

Guinness5.0 said:
Anywho, No-Mullett tries 225 and almost gets one on his own. So what does he do next? Throws on another plate per side for 315. I made sure to be ready to run over in case Mullett couldn't row the weight off No-Mullett. They managed to synchronize their might and rack the bar, and I'll be damned if No-Mullett didn't jump off the bench like he had set a world record.

I am seriously laughing out loud over here at work, great chice of words, funny story.

jstrick2 said:
I had to wait, and I am not exaggerating, almost 25 MINUTES to do squats because some new year's newcomers (4 of them!!!!) were doing curls in the squat rack..

It is something that everyone hates and talks about all the time... but everytime it happens, you still get pist

I have no patience with people like that. I wuld have walked over and asked if I could work in while they to curls and slowly take over the sqiat rack. After all it's called a squat rack, not a curl rack.

Top Bottom