Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Modifying rep scheme and exercises in 5x5

dosteov

I had a previous thread where I posted one of Chad Waterbury's training programs and voiced some of the criticisms he had with the 5x5 approach. Some knowledgeable people chimed in and said it's not a hard and fast approach and there's room for variation. So after thinking about it. I'm getting bored/stuck with the program so feel the need to change it up a bit.

Was thinking about doing an 8 rep program. Would I do one less set?

How bout something like this.

Monday
Squat 4x8
Flat dumbell bench 4x8
Cable wide grip row 4x8
abs
hypers

Wednesday
Squat 4x8 (less weight)
Incline dumbell bench (palms facing one another) 4x8
Deadlift 4x8
WideGripPullUps 3x8

Friday
Squat 3x8 1x5 (PR set) (plus 1 backoff)
Flat dumbell bench 3x8 1x5 (PR set) (plus 1 backoff)
Cable wide grip row 3x8 1x5 (PR set) (plus 1 backoff)
Decline barbell bench 3x8

That's perfectly acceptable, although you might want to keep it to 3 sets so it's a similar overall workload to 5x5 (25 total reps). The key principle is to keep adding weight to the bar each week for as long as you can. As a rough guide, when you stall, lower the weights, change the set/rep scheme and keep adding weight to the bar every week again.

I've just done the same myself (see my journal).

BTW, why are you doing cable rows? Unless you have an injury, do normal bent over barbell rows with your back parallel to the floor.

anotherbutters said:
That's perfectly acceptable, although you might want to keep it to 3 sets so it's a similar overall workload to 5x5 (25 total reps). The key principle is to keep adding weight to the bar each week for as long as you can. As a rough guide, when you stall, lower the weights, change the set/rep scheme and keep adding weight to the bar every week again.

I've just done the same myself (see my journal).

BTW, why are you doing cable rows? Unless you have an injury, do normal bent over barbell rows with your back parallel to the floor.

I don't know. I haven't made any progress with them in awhile. My deadlifts are still going up as are my squats. I know they shun against non free weight movements. I'm not sure if I understand exactly why. I mean it's a compound movement and is basically the same movement and obviouslly it involves resistance. What's an acceptable substitute for rows?

They won't go up as fast as deads and squats, but you should still try to add a little to them each week rather than sub them. Do you have any microplates / another microloading solution? Adding 1lb per week is better than nothing and the little increases soon add up.

Top Bottom