Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Modified 5x5, help please

vickrx7

I really like weight lifting so the 5x5 in the gym only working out 3 times a week is not at all good for me, i like being in the gym minimum 4 days a week...i prefer 5, i was wondering if it would make sense to do a split like this

monday: squat 5x5 at the start, then chest n tris
tuesday: off
wednesday: Deads 5x5, back n bis
thursday off:
friday: squat 5x5 shoulders
saturday: abs
sunday off:

or should i just do a 5 day split and have the above workout but legs have their own day instead of splitting it up throughout the week?

okay so decided to do the original M W F routine, but i need to know if it's okay to do my 5RM for all five sets instead of starting low and working my way up, i did it for the first week and do not feel too soar or anything...i feel good actually, but I've seen some people say it's fine, and others say it's too strenuous. If i feel fine am i good to go? Looking for some experienced lifters who have done 5x5 before and have maybe tried both ways and prefer one to the other, thanks

i done SL 5x5 about 10 years ago . imo its very good and you will build a good base of strength and muscle . just follow it as it instructs you can not go wrong . if you have only just started then you will still be on light weight so its normal that you will only feel slight aches n pains , once you progress to lifting heavy you will feel it more . how long have you been training/lifting ?

You can do 5x5 straight sets or ramped to one top set. There are programs written either way. Obviously the straight set version is much more volume and you won't be able to do as much weight. Usually straight sets would use around 7-8% of your 5 rep max. Which you choose just depends on your goals.

I guess you'll hit calves on saturday? I would do more for hamstrings, but I just like to have a nice rear end.

i've decided to go with the ramped weight way, here is an example of my bench

monday friday monday friday
240x5 242.5.5x5 245x5 247.5x5
250x5 252.5.5x5 255x5 257.5x5
260x5 262.5x5 265x5 267.5x5
270x5 272.5x5 275x5 277.5x5
275x5 277.5x5 280.5x5 282.5x5

I do military press on Wed so that's why i just showed monday friday, just an idea of how i've been increasing the weight. I have micro plates and the clips at the gym weight 1.25lbs so i figure the gains should continue to go up by 5lbs a week for a couple more weeks and will eventually slow to 2.5...so i will begin to use the clips and the same formula but just add 1.25lbs on Monday's and Friday's to total a 2.5lb increase in lifts per week, and when that stalls i will quit the program lol

I guess you'll hit calves on saturday? I would do more for hamstrings, but I just like to have a nice rear end.

i do calves and abs as assistance workouts every M W F as well, just 3 sets of 10...believe me my calves are nowhere near lacking as much as my quads haha, hamstrings and glutes are pretty good too...just terrible quads, always neglected them growing up.

Been training for 6 years, training seriously for 2

O whoops, i just noticed i put original in my second post but didn't explain what that was exactly

Monday
Squats 5x5
Bench 5x5
BB Row 5x5
assistance 3x10's are bi's tri's abs and calves

Wednesday
Squats 5x5
Military Press 5x5
Weighted Pull Ups 5x5
assistance 3x10's are calves, abs and some chest and delt fly's

Friday is same as monday except for my assistance focuses on obliques instead of abs

Top Bottom