Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

military press vs push press/BTN press vs jerk

silver_shadow

so i followed biggt's advice on the BTN presses the other day. i used a lot of leg drive. i went down so my thighs were about halfway to parallel to the ground and straightened my knees explosively from there, at the point where my legs were totally straight i had partly lifted off the ground, kind of like in a clean. this really got the bar moving, and enabled me to handle more then i've ever been able to on military presses. the shoulders/tri's really had to work only in the last 4-5 inches to lockout the bar.
now i was thinking... obviously, a strict press is one where my legs stay absolutely still and i use only shoulders/tri's.
but what differentiates push presses from jerks? rather, when does what i'm doing become a jerk and when is it a push press.
another question is if i want to strengthen my delts, do i need to do some more strict pressing in addition to the explosive stuff?
also, will push presses have a significant effect on my squats/deads or will this be negligible?
BTW, i really enjoyed the BTN presses. thx biggt.

what differentiates push presses from jerks? rather, when does what i'm doing become a jerk and when is it a push press.

A jerk involves similar thrust as the push press but you then dip your body down and split the legs to catch the bar at full lockout, then stand up. No pressing involved, as I understand it.

also, will push presses have a significant effect on my squats/deads or will this be negligible?

I don't know from experience here, but I'd be surprised if it had much transfer. Basically, from a squat and maybe dead standpoint, you're doing some sort of partial at the very top of the movements . . . so you might get a little better at "popping" at the top I guess, but that's not the weak spot for most people . . .also, training in a particular 15% ROM doesn't really transfer to the entire ROM (e.g, getting strong at lockout won't help you if you stick at the bottom).

hmmm.... i'll be a little more specific:
yea, i dont split my legs. however, what is bothering me is whether i'm doing a cheated jerk, or a cheated press, whichever way you want to look at it... i think you get the idea.

I'm glad you like them, once you get the explosion down and realize it isn't a military press with momentum, they are a blast.

A jerk and a press are 2 different things. Like protobuilder said, a jerk is a dip and drive. There is no pressing out. Whether you use a split jerk, power jerk, or squat jerk, you do not press the weight out. You dip and drive and catch the weight at full arms extension.

You're not doing a cheated anything, lol....a push press is a push press, a jerk is a jerk, and a strict press is a strict press.

PP's probably won't help your SQ/DL, they never helped mine, ROM is one thing, plus the load is not even significant enough compared to a SQ/DL load, typically squat lockouts etc. are done with weights far exceeding your squat max. All overhead work increases core stability though, which helps everything.

I find push pressing increases my strict press, but that is just me. I do feel strict pressing is important. A good thing to do that I like a lot is to do 2 backoff sets of 8-10 strict presses after the push presses.

BiggT said:
I'm glad you like them, once you get the explosion down and realize it isn't a military press with momentum, they are a blast.

A jerk and a press are 2 different things. Like protobuilder said, a jerk is a dip and drive. There is no pressing out. Whether you use a split jerk, power jerk, or squat jerk, you do not press the weight out. You dip and drive and catch the weight at full arms extension.

You're not doing a cheated anything, lol....a push press is a push press, a jerk is a jerk, and a strict press is a strict press.

PP's probably won't help your SQ/DL, they never helped mine, ROM is one thing, plus the load is not even significant enough compared to a SQ/DL load, typically squat lockouts etc. are done with weights far exceeding your squat max. All overhead work increases core stability though, which helps everything.

I find push pressing increases my strict press, but that is just me. I do feel strict pressing is important. A good thing to do that I like a lot is to do 2 backoff sets of 8-10 strict presses after the push presses.
thanks for the inputs guys... that's good to know that i'm not a cheater LOL.
and i'll start throwing in those backoff sets.
actually the reason i thought there may be some carry to the squats and deads was because of the speed factor... but i guess, the ROM negates that as you guys pointed out... i just wanted to confirm whether anyone had any benefit in that sense - so i guess not.

I guess anything that makes you faster and more explosive, and teached you to use your entire body as one unit to perform a task will be beneficial to anything. I just can't see any magic, direct carryover, but thats just me.

another question: from what i described, is that enough of leg involvement, or could there be still more - like going down near parallel?

No, that's plenty, don't go any deeper that that. The most important thing then is once you hit the bottom of your dip, reverse as fast and explosively as you can, and don't push with the arms until you've milked the leg drive and popped the bar up as far as possible......using the arms too soon zaps power and limits your weights.

ok.. i might sound dumb asking this question.. but i honestly don't feel much shoulder work here.. i mean.. it does improve your core stability no doubt.. but you'll be missing out on some shoulder work now unless u threw in some strict press right? cuz i'm running the SF 5x5.. and i'm worried that i won't be working my shoulders as much as i want to..

carlsuen said:
ok.. i might sound dumb asking this question.. but i honestly don't feel much shoulder work here.. i mean.. it does improve your core stability no doubt.. but you'll be missing out on some shoulder work now unless u threw in some strict press right? cuz i'm running the SF 5x5.. and i'm worried that i won't be working my shoulders as much as i want to..
biggt had addressed this a few posts back. he mentioned doing 2 backoff sets of 8-10 of strict pressing.

Top Bottom