Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Miked8c's log: 300 and Beyond

miked8c

Hey whats up guys, I'm fairly new to this site although some of you may have seen me around with my rookie questions. Lately I have been rummaging around some of the training logs posted up and I am throughly impressed with the motivation and attention you guys pay to eachother so I decided to throw one up. Before I get into I'll share some backround and stats.

I'm a typical New Englander, Masshole to be specific. I'm a senoir in HS, 18 in June, and played hockey which I unfortunately wont be able to play at college. We actually went to states this year for division three boys hockey and ended up playing Longmeadow in the Boston Garden but we just couldnt pull it off. Enough about hockey though, I started lifting at 13 and dont plan on stopping for the rest of my life, I'm addicted I guess haha.

Heres my stats(I'll have some pics up within the week):
Bodyweight- 193 in the morning
Height-5'8
Bench- 285
Squat-360
Dead-360

My build- I'd say I'm a fairly equal mix between ecto and meso, my arms are proportionally smaller than they should be for my weight (I know it sucks, I got over it) and my legs have some good size from hockey so I dont look like a top heavy light bulb like some body builders. I have some excess fat but you can still see my abs fairly well, I'd like to lose this for the summer when I lifeguard.

Diet- I eat hardy meals(no snacks), however I eat whatever my parents and school cafe put in front of me so I guess I could improve my eating habits alot, however at my age I burn fat very well so I dont think I'll be cleaning up my diet anytime soon. I only drink every other weekend and when i do I try to stay conscious and make sure I get a good meal in before I drink. I realize that it can mess with my training so I dont to it too often and I do it on my off day.

Current Routine- I'm doing the 5x5 and am loving every minute of it, I'm currently at the 5th week and am starting to stuggle a little(still getting the lifts though ; )). Because of this I figured I could use the motivation and the knowledge everyone on this board has,once I start missing weights I'd like to know how I should deload and proceed. I'm not doing any cardio at the moment mainly because frankly I'm scared of losing muscle through it.

Goals- Pretty simple, my lifetime goal up to now has been to join the 300 club for bench, the 400 club for squat and dead is kind of an afterthought haha. I know I should hit it before summer and after I do it I'd like to cut my BW to 180(for lifeguarding) while keeping my strength.

So yeah, thats about it. I'll post the workout I did yesterday under this for a jumping off point, I'll post some pics tomorow. I'm really looking forward to this as it is my first log and am hoping to become more involved in this community. I'm open to any and all advice. Thanks guys.

Monday:

Squat:
1x5 151
1x5 188
1x5 226
1x5 264
1x5 301 Proud to say i broke parallel on each rep, it was a struggle though.

Bench:
1x5 115 I actually skipped this set so I could just throw the 45's on and not mess with the weigh. I dont know if thats a problem let me know but I figured since its nothing for me I could ignore it, I'm probably wrong though so let me know.
1x5 144
1x5 173
1x5 202
1x5 231 Cranked these out but the last rep took me a good bit of effort, the spotter motivated me though cause I didnt want to fail in front of him.

Bent over barbell rows:
1x5 82 once again skipped this set so I could throw on the 25's, again let me know if its ok to do this cause the weight is so small, too small for a warm-up even.
1x5 103
1x5 123
1x5 144
1x5 164 I dont tough my chest each rep but I definitely get the row, i dont know if it counts as a rep if I dont touch the bottom of my chest. I get it 2 inches from my chest probably.

I ended this with some overhand chins
1x10
1x8
1x6

Critque appreciated.

Thanks man I just checked out your log, I'm impressed. I went from first page, read some beef between EM and some other dude in the middle for fun, and then skipped to the last page. You made hella progress man, good stuff.

Wow another great log! Only thing though: If you are having trouble with 301x5 I doubt your 1 rm is 360, also if you are having trouble with 231x5 on bench I estimate your 1 rm to be like 270 or less, not 285. Also, get that deadlift up it should definitely be higher to be proportional.

Yeah I know, my lifts are never proportional to my maxes. I think my muscles have more fast twicth fibers or something, I have good explosiveness from hockey and sprinting. I dont blame you for questioning my maxes but I checked my max 2 weeks ago and it was 280 and I know I have gotten stronger since then. Although my squat could be lower.

Thanks man I just checked out your log, I'm impressed. I went from first page, read some beef between EM and some other dude in the middle for fun, and then skipped to the last page. You made hella progress man, good stuff.

Thanks bro- appreciate it. Usually, when someone makes a log on here i have a lot of stuff to comment on, but you seem to have your shit together.

Any goals for the near future?

Yeah I know, my lifts are never proportional to my maxes. I think my muscles have more fast twicth fibers or something, I have good explosiveness from hockey and sprinting. I dont blame you for questioning my maxes but I checked my max 2 weeks ago and it was 280 and I know I have gotten stronger since then. Although my squat could be lower.

Yeah i benched 255x1 when i was benching 215x3 and nobody believed me lol! That makes me feel better because my goal is 285 right now and I could get 230x5.

Yeah if your anything like me, which you probably are, benching 3x215 and then 1x55 you probably have 285 in the bag if you can do 5x230. Everyone's different I think it has to do with CNS strength, explosive power.

Yeah if your anything like me, which you probably are, benching 3x215 and then 1x55 you probably have 285 in the bag if you can do 5x230. Everyone's different I think it has to do with CNS strength, explosive power.

Yeah I had just finished the smolov jr cycle and I super efficient at benching:

Week 1 (SETSxREPSxWEIGHT)
Mon - 6x6x70%
Wed - 7x5x75%
Fri - 8x4x80%
Sat - 10x3x85%
Week 2
Mon - 6x6x70%+10-20 lbs (bigger increase for bigger lift like squats)
Wed - 7x5x75%+10-20 lbs
Fri - 8x4x80%+10-20 lbs
Sat - 10x3x85%+10-20 lbs
Week 3
Mon - 6x6x70%+15-25 lbs
Wed - 7x5x75%+15-25 lbs
Fri - 8x4x80%+15-25 lbs
Sat - 10x3x85%+15-25 lbs

As you can see it uses a ton of sets, so my body must have been really fast twitch at bench lol. I doubt I could get 285 though, I'm thinking my max is 275 right now, I did a paused military bench rep at 235 a couple weeks back and it was easy (military bench is where your legs are crossed in the air while you are laying on the bench). Good luck with your log though! I'm a senior and graduating soon to:)

Top Bottom