Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Which Method For Increasing Weight?

Tom Treutlein

Alright, with my new training routine I have two methods I could use to deteremine whether or not I should increase the weight the following week. All exercise I have are done in a 2x8 fashion, so I could either:

Take the last set to failure and if I fail at 13 or more reps (outside the 8-12 rep range) then I move the weight up next week.

OR

Preform 2x8 one week, preform 2x9 the next, then 2x10, and then on the 4th week back to 2x8 but with a 5-10 lb. weight increase.

Which sounds better? The second progresses a lot more slowly but it will be more difficult to plateau (for obvious reasons) but the 1st one has you pushing yourself to the limit at the last set of each exercise to see where you're at and if you estimated your weight right to stay in the 8-12 range.

Hi,

I can't give you anything to back this up, but I am 99% certain the guys with the big karma are going to tell you to drop the reps and boost the weight. Volume training isn't the best at increasing the amount you can lift.

Well I'm not looking to lift more for strength directly. My goal is size. I figured as you increase in strength, you can lift more weight, and the more weight you push the bigger you'll be essentially. Right?

BFS Trooper said:
I figured as you increase in strength, you can lift more weight, and the more weight you push the bigger you'll be essentially. Right?

not particularly. there are plenty of smaller guys who move some serious weight. its all about how you are eating, and the style of training you are undertaking. did you read all the training formats up at the top of the page?

Yeah I know them all. In general though I mean. If you train for something other than neruomuscular strength (1-3 reps) and are eating big, you'll be bigger if you're pushing more weight generally - right? Like 3x3, 3x5, 5-3-1-, 10-8-6 rep schemes changing weekly, you'd probably be bigger lifting more weight if you ate right... right? Lol.

Volume is way too low IMO.Id reccomend higher volume and higher intensity. To failure on all of your sets, excluding warm-ups.
Its alot harder/strenuous but I think its well worth it in the end.

Top Bottom