Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

maybe a dumb question.. but what are knee wraps and belts for exactly?

die faster

do they prevent injuries? or does it help boost you up? i dont get any pain in my knees or anything. i got 385 last time at the end of my workout for 1 rep. an older guy who used to be a competative powerlifter at my gym whos been helping me with my form told me i should look into a good belt and knee wraps. so are they to be safe? or just to add on more weight?

for support. if you have knee issues wrapping them up can help ease the pain when you are squatting heavy.

as for a belt I was taught when I was a powerlifter in high school that a belt actually caused more harm then good. our coach did not allow anyone to use one unless you had a good medical reason why. and he was a freakin beast. 5' 5" 200 pounds and squatted over 600 pounds. so i've never used one even when doing deadlifts or cleans. and most lifters do not use a belt.

gloves also unless you really have a legit medical reason i believe can impede forearm development. i actually started developing forearm splints when i was using a glove on arm days. so they are a no-no for me as well.

interested in hearing some others perspective on it

I use the belt on squats and I can really feel a difference when I'm in the hole. Whoever told you that belts cause more harm than good is talking out of your ass. A properly worn belt gives you a solid foundation that will help keep your back from coming out of line when under maximal weight. By pushing out your abs and gut against the belt when under the weight your keeping your spine. nice and tight.

I will add however that belts should only be used on low rep maxes, otherwise you could become dependent on them. Maybe thats what your coach meant.

for support. if you have knee issues wrapping them up can help ease the pain when you are squatting heavy.

as for a belt I was taught when I was a powerlifter in high school that a belt actually caused more harm then good. our coach did not allow anyone to use one unless you had a good medical reason why. and he was a freakin beast. 5' 5" 200 pounds and squatted over 600 pounds. so i've never used one even when doing deadlifts or cleans. and most lifters do not use a belt.

I use my belts less and less compared to how much I used it before. Usually only for heavy lifts. Helps with stability and confidence.

gloves also unless you really have a legit medical reason i believe can impede forearm development. i actually started developing forearm splints when i was using a glove on arm days. so they are a no-no for me as well.
interested in hearing some others perspective on it

I always use gloves helps to keep my hands in resonable condition. I have never done a forearm exercise directly and my forearms are such an attention getter. They are thick ripped and vascular.

Whoever told you that belts cause more harm than good is talking out of your ass. .

Weightlifting belts do little to improve performance, concluded researchers at the Albany Medical Center in Albany, N.Y., after comparing the progress of 50 weightlifters, half of whom wore weightlifting belts.
All the men followed the same program, and their results were essentially the same. But there was an important difference: The men who did not use the weightlifting belt had better abdominal and back strength.
These results echo a previous study that found little to support the use of these belts.
While an individual may be able to lift about 20 percent more weight when they wear a back belt, this does not translate to 20 percent more protection for the spine.
Furthermore, other studies have found that the constant use of back belts leads to reliance as torso and back muscles begin to atrophy over time.
Only power lifters or those who lift extremely heavy weights appear to benefit from the use of weightlifting belts. But even these individuals would be better off doing their daily training without the aid of a belt.
Source: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Annual Meeting, New Orleans, La.

Support Wanes for Weightlifting Belts - Strength/Resistance Training - Health and Fitness Tips - American Council On Exercise(ACE)

here is a study. if you can provide me a study that says that belts are good then please bring it forward.

from what this study showed it seems very logical that belts will impede development just as gloves will impede wrist and forearm development.

its up to you ultimately if you want to wear a belt, trust me we are all stubborn... but overtime you are hurting yourself IMO unless you compete in like strongman or something like that where you really really risk breaking your back. otherwise i would lose the belt.

bottom line is this:
  • If you never injured your back, wearing a belt adds no safety.
  • If you injure yourself while wearing a belt, the injury is more severe.
  • To get the most out of weight belts, you MUST lift with bad technique.
  • If you want to lift a few more pounds, wear a weight belt.
That’s why I don’t recommend belts: they give a false sense of security.

As I said. Wear them only on Low Rep Maxes I also said they are to be used under Maximal Weight

I do not train with them in my daily routines, I will however throw one on when I am going for a single double or triple rep max where risk for injury is increased.

^^^^yeah man these boards are here for discussion and debates. I'm not trying to say my way is the only way.

I am just sharing what I was taught. there are a couple guys at my gym who use belts. mostly older dudes who are putting up major weight... i think watching ESPN i see the strongman use belts when they have to bend over and pick up large things.

i dont think i have seen even one competitor NOT use a belt at any meet i have ever been in...
they are for both protection AND performance... my belt probably gives me 20-30lbs on my max, though i only use it on 90%+ deadlifts, and squats over 80%ish... it is somthing that must be learned, but the belt can give you more leverage by 'pushing off of it'... maybe only like 10-15lbs, but there is some advantage...
knee wraps are the same, though i believe you get a lot more strength out of a premium set... i have a set of inzer 'true black's that give almost 50lbs on a squat with my belt...

steve, those studies arent really fitting then for someone who trains primarily without the belt and wraps, and then only uses it at the end of a training cycle, or up to a meet when the weights get close to the max... of course the ones using it all the time will have weaker cores...
i used my belt for two sets this whole week, and that was one rep sets of zerchers with 315 and 365... i will not touch it again for a couple more weeks until my routine calls for some PR deadlifts...
also, if your form sucks, none of this gear will help protect you...

As I said. Wear them only on Low Rep Maxes I also said they are to be used under Maximal Weight

I do not train with them in my daily routines, I will however throw one on when I am going for a single double or triple rep max where risk for injury is increased.

imo, i think they are OK for high rep breathing squats... even with a belt my lower back will go out before my legs... but also most of us dont do those all the time either...

Top Bottom