Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

May take leg training in a new direction...

D

Debaser

Since I am not really as interested in size much anymore, and am more concerned with strength, power, balance/stability, etc...I was wondering who could chime in on what they think might be the best movements for each of these categories:

Bilateral quad movement, bilateral ham/glute movement, unilateral quad, unilateral ham/glute.

I'm still keeping the volume fairly low, and was maybe thinking about something like this, though I am welcome to any and all opinions (especially from those with more athletic goals in mind, like coolcolj, bfold, supreme, bignate, bulldog etc.)

Example:

Barbell hack squat - 1-2 sets
Romanian deadlift - 1-2 sets
One-legged squat - 1-2 sets
Lunge - 1-2 sets

Again, this is not my forte so I'm open to all suggestions on the best movements. I'm looking for a "complete package" so to speak.

frontsquat or oly squat,
RDL,
bulgarian splitsquat (glutes also),
one legged backhyper extension or bulgarian deadlift

Just an observation from my recent leg training (beginning to train strongman...) - I have begun doing high volume sets with about 20 reps. 20 rep squats, then 20 rep leg extensions, then 20 rep ham curl, 20 rep calf raises and so on. I find this helps my endurance tremendously. Also, every few weeks I will do a low volume day and increase the weight. The last two times I did this, I have felt much much stronger and my squat has gone up. Just a thought.

I'm going to experiment with something like this (would still appreciate critiques):

All of these movements are done explosively, with about a 3 second negative.

Dead-stop front squat (pause on the rack, explode up): 5 sets of 3
Romanian deadlift: 5 x 3
Bulgarian split squat: 2 x 8
GHR: 2 x 8

I might tinker with the set/rep schemes. I tried this today, and boy am I not used to split squats or GHR. I think I'll like where this routine will take me.

it will only work for so long, probbaly need to change things around after a few weeks

I would suggest having 2 separate lower days, one is the main one, and the other is more supportive in nature and allows you some breathing space.
The just alternate the two

Sprinting for me isn't an option for a few months, until I completely restore my postural dysfunctions (I'm working on getting my pelvis, and thus my knees, ankles and feet, where they need to be).

then I would add a few more sets to ghr and split squats, because these are great stabilizers for the knee joint, you should try to work them real hard at first before you start putting a lot of weight on the loading phase

Top Bottom