Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Max Bench Press

babycatattack

How often should an individual attempt a max bench press?

How many days after a chest/tricep workout should a max bench take place?

When figuring out your max bench, what percentage of your old max bench should you do warm up lifts with?

How many minutes should you wait between each lift?

Would doing 15 sets of 1 rep on a 90% of a max lift be beneficial to increase a max lift?

These are just some of the questions that I am curious about at this time, I am always trying to outdo myself by beating my previous record and I work hard to do so. Thanks in advance.

You shouldn't attempt absolute max more than two or so times a year (usually at powerlifting meets of this is your goal). You don't want to overdo it warming up either, but that you'll need to feel out. I do a few low weight reps. Than a few singles getting heavier up to about 75% or so before attempting a max (with a good rest period beforehand). Itnis definitely good to work out in the 80 to 90% range with 3 to 1 reps if you explicitly training to lift heavy. I do this generally for 9 sets a session (not counting warm up sets), and heavy set training is common for most powerlifting programs. I try to keep my rest 2 to 3 minutes between sets when doing this. Note that this type of training, while effective at building strength, is pretty hard on your joints and tendons so take time off when your body tells you to Before actually competing or attempting a true max attempt, you will really want to take the week before the attempt off from any heavy lifting at all.

How often should an individual attempt a max bench press?

When figuring out your max bench, what percentage of your old max bench should you do warm up lifts with?

How many minutes should you wait between each lift?

Would doing 15 sets of 1 rep on a 90% of a max lift be beneficial to increase a max lift?

These are just some of the questions that I am curious about at this time, I am always trying to outdo myself by beating my previous record and I work hard to do so. Thanks in advance.

So far this year I did it one time. I might do it again around xmas.

if you want to injure yourself have at it

if you want to do it the right way listen to what was said above where you only max out on actual competition day where you are going all out

i see too many guys maxing out in the gym and they will only fuck themselves doing that

Honestly you can calculate the percentages without taking the risk of potential injury or doing heavy weight without a spotter.

I'll address another point:

No. Such an idea is a little bit too many times attempting that high a percentage. I do well on the 90% or so level stuff but wouldn't go any where near 15 sets. My range is 4-8 x 1 reps. I'm aware of Olympic lifters using a similar rep range but you're still dealing with genetic abnormalities.

Another:

Go watch some bench press videos. ALL (and I mean ALL) of the top guys start with the bar. Pretty much every single one still works up one plate a side to their maxes.

Here's what I'm currently doing (not as high as my all time PB).

bar x 20 reps
60kg x 8
80kg x 6
120kg x 1 (paused for 6 or so seconds)
155kg x 3 x 1 (last session)

My all time PB is 190kg (418lbs) x 1

Last one:

1. Why not bench first then do triceps etc after.
2. Bench works chest and triceps. So you could do them both on the same day.
3. No one can say how long it takes YOU to recover.

Top Bottom