Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Man vs Squat-My 20 rep squat experiment

asdfzxcv

Hello all

It has been a while since I have posted a journal here so I thought I would get another one started as I am embarking on a new program.I have been doing mostly standard linear 5x5 but now I wish to build strength endurance,particulary in the legs.

I intend to follow this template 2-3 times a week depending on how well I recover
Squat 1x20,rest paused
Bench 2x10
Row 2x10
Military press 2x12
It is very basic but it covers the entire body quickly and efficiently.I intend to start well below my 10rm(which is supposed to be rest paused to 20) and build up momentum over a few weeks.I intend to run this for 6 weeks if possible.

I will post my first workout in a few hours.

You certainly know how to make a splash with your return to journaling. Good luck with those 20-reppers!

If I may make a suggestion, you might want to incorporate both higher and lower reps on your non-squat work so you don't lose too much power. Maybe do something like 10-12 on Monday and 3-5 on Friday.

You were at a bit of a crossroads with regard to body comp at the end of your last journal...what did you decide to do diet/cardio-wise during your most recent training cycles?

Cynical Simian said:
You certainly know how to make a splash with your return to journaling. Good luck with those 20-reppers!

If I may make a suggestion, you might want to incorporate both higher and lower reps on your non-squat work so you don't lose too much power. Maybe do something like 10-12 on Monday and 3-5 on Friday.

You were at a bit of a crossroads with regard to body comp at the end of your last journal...what did you decide to do diet/cardio-wise during your most recent training cycles?

I did get my body comp under control eventually.I did a 6 week run of GVT(10x10) which didnt decrease my strength whilst dieting so I am not too afraid of strength loss on a bulk.It was a matter of adding in 3-4 times a week cardio and keeping carbs to the start of the day.I will be doing much the same thing whilst bulking,although with more calories.I seem to do better with more protein+fat then most recommend,but thats just me.

Anotherbutters-Yes I will increase the weight on the other exercises once I reach the rep target.

Bring a bucket to puke in when the 20-repper gets tough :freak:

Have fun with it - it's very satisfying to know you've pushed yourself so hard.

Workout 1 Date 24/7/06 bodyweight 189lb

Ok here is how the first session played out.I will lift MON/WED/FRI for now,if I am unable to tolerate that much then MON/THUR.

Squat
5xbar
5x135
20x185 workset
First time doing these,quite a different experience.It was fairly difficult but not extremely hard yet.The hardest part IMO was keeping the bar on the back for so long while trying to breathe.My legs took it rather well as I only used my 15rm to start with.I am sure they will be pulverised in future sessions.My goal is to get 20reps with 245lb,an ambitious but worthy goal for a tall lanky fellow like me.I will add 5lb a session for now.

Bench
10x135
10x135
Pretty easy got both sets without much hassle,+2.5lb next time.

Parallel bent-over row
10x115
10x115
Not much to say here,+2.5lb next time.

Military press
12x75
10x75
First set was easy,but I didnt make all reps on the second set.Will keep this weight till next time.

Summary
Very short workout,but I liked it as it was straight to the point with no fooling around.The 20rep set was exhausting but strangely there was no lactic acid build up despite the high reps.The rest of the lifts went well,I will try to increase them as often as possible.Diet wise I plan on consuming about 3000-3500cal a day minimum during the program with 300+grams of protein.I will also include 2-3 of 30mins cardio to keep conditioning intact.Hopefully with a calorie surplus I can now start to make some fast progress on strength gains in this program.

Great start! Slow and steady and you'll own 245.

I will also include 2-3 of 30mins cardio

Hmmm . . . what are you planning on doing here? Could be a monkeywrench in your squat progress, which may not bother you but it's a factor to consider.

Protobuilder said:
Great start! Slow and steady and you'll own 245.

Hmmm . . . what are you planning on doing here? Could be a monkeywrench in your squat progress, which may not bother you but it's a factor to consider.

Could be, but if it is simply steady state cardio, I doubt there will be any issues. cardio is good for many reasons. :) (most importantly, I can eat more junk lol)

Top Bottom