Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

making up my west side routine.....

Deciever

ok im making up my west side routine...and there is one problem..
i dont have a reverse hyper or glute ham raise machine.. is there any substitute i could do for them, or a way i could do them with out the machine.

also, would pink(maybe its green, i forget) bands would work fine for me if my lifts are..
bench 190
squat - 250
deadlift 315
im pretty sure they would, but i just want to check.

Green bands are way way too much for your bench. Probably too much for your squat too. The way I set up my green bands adds over 100 lbs of resistance on my squats, and a bit less on bench. Get a couple of sets of mini bands. Use one set for 3 weeks on 3 weeks off on bench speed day, and use both sets of mini's on squats. Note, do not use bands all the time on bench. You will tear up your elbows.

I don't have a reverse hyper or glute ham raise either. You can substitute things for them, although I have serious doubts that the substitutes are as good as the real thing. I do a lot of high rep hyperextensions on a roman chair, and I have converted my roman chair into a wimpy bastardized version of a glute ham raise, although the angle does not put nearly as much stress on my glutes and hams as a true glute ham raise. But sometimes you have to make do with what you have available.

B

yeah . i still have to get down everything about westside.. its so confusing!... i just wasnt sure about which bands to get ( i couldnt recall which color off the top of my head)...
should i try a 12 week cycle or an 8 week? so far i have 3 weeks planned out, and im starting the routine in april.

im thinking maybe if i took a dip belt, and wrapped it around my ankles/feet, and added some weight i could have a makeshift glute ham raise or reverse hyper

Bands and Westside

Stay with the mini bands for bench. You might be able to get away with the light band for squat but you wouldn't be able to put very much weight on the bar.
If you like the routine you should definitely invest in some chains.
And definitely don't use bands more than 3 weeks or so. They make you incredibly sore. Just got started on bands for this cycle and after Sunday's workout I'm still real sore today.
Try the eight week cycle to start with. Max out or go to a contest at the end of that cycle then start again using new maxes.
Good Luck

alright , my routine schedule is this.. this is my first week..i dont have bands or anything worked into it. Any things you think might help i'd love to hear.

Monday ME Squat/Deadlift Sets Reps Misc.
ME Exercise Box Squats Work up to a triple or single.
Assistance Glute Ham Raise 5 Sets 8-10 Reps
Abs 4 Sets 8-12 Reps
Obliques Dumbell Side Bends 4 Sets 4-8 Reps
Reverse Hypers 3 Sets 8-12 Reps

Tuesday Speed Bench Sets Reps Misc.
Speed Bench 8 Sets 3 Reps 60% of max
Pressing Movement Closegrip Board Press
Extension Tricep Extension 3 Sets 6-10 Reps
Lats Bent Over Barbell Rows 4 Sets 5-8 Reps
Light Shoulder work Laterals, Arnold Presses 3 Sets 6 Reps

Thursday Speed Squat/Deadlift Sets Reps Misc.
Speed Squat 10 Sets 2 Reps 50% Max
Speed Deadlift 6 Sets 1 Rep 60% Max
Assistance Front Squats 5 Sets 6-8 Reps
Abs Decline sit-ups.
4 Sets 8-12 Reps 5 Second Pause(bottom)
Obliques Dumbell Side Bends 3 Sets 4-8 Reps
Reverse Hypers 3 sets 6-8 Reps

Friday ME Bench Sets Reps Misc.
ME Exercise Closegrip Incline press Work up To Max Single
Pressing Movement floor press 3 Sets 5 Reps
Extension Skull Crushers 3 Sets 6-10 Reps
Lat work T-Bar Rows 4 Sets 5-8 Reps
Light Shoulder Work

THere are just a few things that you have in the wrong places. You should be doing your max effort work 72 hours after your speed work. so for max sq/dead on monday ; speed squat would be on friday. If you are doing speed bench on teusday then you would need to do max bench on friday as well. Consider changing speed bench to sunday and max bench to wednsday otherwise you will not recover enough from your speed work.

A great , or i should say ,the only acceptable substitute for reverse hypers are Pullthroughs. they target the postereior muscle chain in a similar fashion.

I would stick with minis for bench and maybe a light band for squats. They changed the color to purple. these guys are right on about the three weeks on and three weeks off for benching with bands.
Looks good though.

unfortunately my gym is not open on the weekends, so i had to cram it into 1 week.... technically i am getting 72 hours of rest between speed bench and max effort day for example..

speed bench and max effort bench days.

tuesday at 4:00 my speed bench workout would start
after exactly 72 hours then there would be my max effort bench day

also, you can get chains right from the hardware store , right? I will probably be ordering the bands beginning-middle of march once i get a job.

In regards to the limitation of equipment, I don't have either piece mentioned.Here is what I do;

Glute-Ham Raises-I put a loaded barbell on the ground against the wall.Lay a pad down about a foot and a half in front of it laying it parallel to the barbell.Kneel down on the pad and hook my ankles underneath the bar and press my feet against the wall to help stabilize me.Then lower my torso and perform glute-ham raises.The barbell has to be heavy enough to hold your ankles down.I weigh 190 and the barbell has to atleast have 255 on it.Also, I need to put a 45-pound plate under the plates on each side to keep it from rolling forward.Definetly not a glute-ham machine, but this tears my hamstrings and glutes up.If this isn't an effective simulation of the actual exercise, I wouldn't want to try a real g-h-g machine.

Reverse Hypers-I set the safety pins in the power rack at waist height.Lay a bench across the pins and secure it to the pins by bungees.Then lay on the bench with my legs hanging off perform reverse hypers.The only way for me to add weight is to bungee a plate or dumbell to my ankles.Nothing fancy, but it trashes my low back.

Just a couple of ideas for you.

Originally posted by Deciever [/

also, you can get chains right from the hardware store , right? I will probably be ordering the bands beginning-middle of march once i get a job. [/B]

You might want to check a scrap yard for the 5/8 chains.I had a hard time finding them. Most of the hardware stores in my area only go up 1/2 inch.

Top Bottom