Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

madcow2, what is your take on HST?

It's a good program. It's well thought out and well put together (note - this is probably the only BBing program that I will say this about). I don't hear about too many people running it and not getting results so that's a good indicator right there. I'm also guessing that the volume is about right for most natural BBers. I think where it would really shine would be after a period of heavy foundation work and then using HST and allowing that newly accrued strength to build into the higher rep ranges. I'd bet a lot of people would reap some nice gains.

On a personal level, it's not really the way I like to train and I tend to do things a bit differently. Plus, I can't count over 8 anyway. But really, that doesn't mean anything - there are a lot of ways to go about skinning a cat. HST is as viable as any if one is primarily interested in hypertrophy. I think I've suggested to a few people that with the Bill Starr 5x5, DFHT program, HST, and even creating similar mesocycles on your own following the templates, you can really lay out some nice longer term macrocycle style programs (6+ months for most although in athletics it's generally a year) that work in a lot of variety in exercises, volume, and rep ranges.

This type of variety over the year is going to be really beneficial and allow people to build fundemental strength and size while addressing weak links in the compound lifts or even just aesthetics.

EDIT - I will throw in that WSB is also a great system to use in conjunction with this stuff but to really get a lot out of it, you should have a good foundation first and be experienced in the lifts.

Last edited:
I've done HST with very nice gains overall in all regions. I'm about to do 5X5 to bring some strength up. Then I'll get back on HST for a cycle or two because it isn't extremly taxing on the body. So, basically, I plan to switch back and forth between 5X5 and HST. A good damn combo in my opinion.

Top Bottom