Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Madcow 5X5 Question......

big perm

Today I started week 3 of my second run through Madcow's version of the 5X5.

I set my squats at 290 lbs., which was my pr for 5X5 in week 4 my first time through.

So anyway....on to todays workout and how I failed miserably. My first two sets went pretty well, 5 reps- with not much of a problem. My third set I failed after 3, my fourth set I failed after 4 and my 5th set I failed after 3. I was disgusted with myself...to put it mildly. I mean....I had gotten this weight relatively easily just 8 weeks ago!

So now my dilemma.....on next weeks pr 5X5 squat attempt.....what should I do? Keep the weight the same which will yield no pr this go round in the 5X5, or bump it up and go for broke?

BTW....I did manage to set new pr's in both bench and row....go figure.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Weeks 1-4 are all about volume. If you can set PRs, then all well and good, but that shouldn't be to the detriment of volume. Drop the weight if you have to, just get the reps in.

For today's workout, once you'd done set 3 and found out you couldn't get all the reps in, it would have been better to drop the weight a little so that you could get the reps in on the remaining sets.

For next week, try the same weight again, don't increase it. If the same happens, drop the weight to what you think you can get 5 reps for and continue with that.

I really want to do a 5x5 workout
but I'm trying to soak in all the knowledge so I can be sure I do it right
also I'm not sure how long it will be before I can purchase a Squat Rack

Top Bottom