Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lunges Vs Squats - Which IS Harder and Which Does More?

curling

Last night at my gym these dudes were hogging the ole leg press machine so after my squats I decided to try lunges with weight so I get done. And damn those suckers(lunges) are hard and I was doing alot less weight than I do with squats and they were still harder than squats.

So I was wondering which ones were actually better for you legs. I know lunges are harder but which ones build more leg muscle?

Any of y'all know?

You know I usally do lunges after doing squats. All I know is they hurt (in a good way) and I fel sick after doing them. So I'm going to venture to say that a combination of the 2 will build your legs.

I think as long as you use good form with heavy weight, either would build sufficient leg muscle and strength.I like lunges because you work each leg independently, which builds balanced strength and allows more focus.Whereas in squats, the lifter sometimes shifts his weight, favoring one leg over the other which can cause injury.But, both are quality exercises imo.

hey guys, i 'm gonna have to say stick with the leg presses if you're trying to build size in your quads. as most people know, lunges are a great exercise and they do work, only their main function is to bring out detail and separation in your quads. also the effort is broken down so that your butt and hamstring come into play more so than your wuads do compared to leg presses. so, if you're going for size, stick with the leg presses.:fro:

I believe the main function of lunges is to work each leg independently, which builds balanced strength and improves balance, which are two important factors for productive squatting.Bringing out detail and separation in the quads is primarily the result of diet, not exercise.

Squatsare the best for leg developemenet when you want size, but lunges work the hipflexors and other muscle near the pelvic girdle. Ithink they are both tough exercizes to do, but if I had to do one I would stick with squats. Maybe you might want to incorporate both into your workout.

physiologically they both provide good stimulation to the various muscles in the quadraceps. but for obvious reasons squating is far better for mass due to the main fact that you can overload the muscles using heavier weights with better form to take the muscle to concentric failure.

Last edited:
ballast said:
Bringing out detail and separation in the quads is primarily the result of diet, not exercise.
THANK YOU!!!
They are all good. Lunges, split squats, regulars squats, hack squats, leg extensions, duck-leg press, etc. Use them all, at some point, to develop your quads. It would be impossible to say one is better than the other. Its a matter of opinion. For example, I love hack squats, my partner hates em as they hurt his knees.

freak show is right, there are no "mass" and "definition" exercises. You're either working the muscle or you're not.

answer to both of your questions: SQUAT! :)

996690549883_covers.jpg

Top Bottom