Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lung Capacity/Breathing Problem while squatting?

Brett44444444

Does anyone else get this? It seems like I am always gasping for air when I come to the top of my squat. It also feels like I can't suck in a satisfactory amount of air with the bar on my shoulders... I think this prevents me from completing higher rep sets of squats more than the amount of weight does, though it does get a little worse with higher weight...which makes sense....anyhow. I've been swimming, and I don't really notice lack of lung capacity there...any ideas guys/gals?

That's why I just do singles for squats.

Just wait, eventually you'll get so big that you can't even bend down to pick up the bar to deadlift.

That's why I'm trying to lose a few pounds right now. Too much pressure on my lungs. Can't breathe, can't deadlift, can't even sleep, really.

ha, thats hardcore that you are so fucking huge that you can't squat for big reps, but I am a skinny ass 180lb 6'0'' guy who can't do much more than 250 for reps...so I don't think it is shear size that is holding me back...

Brett, you are not strong enough in the trunk for whatever weight you were trying to support, and/or you have too tight of a belt on.

I had this same problem. Get stronger through the middle, and this problem should to some extent go away. Also, try doing rack lockouts in the power rack for the squat. Put way more weight on the bar than what you are squatting, then stand up with it off the pins 3 or 4 inches and hold it as long as you can. Do this on your second squat day for a few times, then when you go back to squatting regular, the decreased weight will seem lighter.

Another thing you can do, is take a pair of kettlebells if you have them, or dumbells if you don't, and hold them in front of your body against your chest/front delt area and walk with them. This puts unreal strain on your lungs/diaphragm area. You will find you fail on this exercise when you run out of air. Build up the muscles that cause you to breathe, and get in better cardio condition, and the squat breath thing should get better.

B.

slobberknocker said:

Just wait, eventually you'll get so big that you can't even bend down to pick up the bar to deadlift.

That's why I'm trying to lose a few pounds right now. Too much pressure on my lungs. Can't breathe, can't deadlift, can't even sleep, really.

i feel your pain bro. although i sleep pretty well for being so big.

when i squat for multiple reps (especially >5), if my breathings not right then I feel like i'm dying for oxygen.... i.e. you don't want to hold onto the valsava like you would for a single.

Top Bottom