Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lung Capacity

Anthrax Invasion said:
Very cool info, I'm going to give this a try.

Let's run a pool. I'll bet against myself and say I'm passing out in twenty seconds.

Unlikely, it takes me about 2:30 to get light headed - but the exercise still works!

I was joking around. But have you increased lung capacity with it?

Anthrax Invasion said:
I was joking around. But have you increased lung capacity with it?
yea, she says her disabled sis has done it... that's pretty impressive... i'm goin to give it a try too... i badly need it.

I know that, I meant for her specifically. Perhaps it wouldn't be as effective for your everyday athlete.

Anthrax Invasion said:
I know that, I meant for her specifically. Perhaps it wouldn't be as effective for your everyday athlete.
well, hopefully, being asthmatic qualifies me... the doc said that i may have lost some amount of lung capacity because of permanent damage, although i haven't got this confirmed. i'm not sure how they'd determine this anyway.

Personally, I increase lung capacity with HIIT (I enjoy the endorphins). However, the exercise will work for the average athlete as well. Physiologically, the body has 'beyond conscious control' sensors that require deep, full breathing when the carbon dioxide in the blood rises, utilizing the autonomic nervous system. It is possible, therefore, to use the body's own reactions to access lung capacity that is not used for any number of reasons (and there can be quite a few, even in 'normal' people - tight pectorals, for example). The exercise was originally designed for those with partial paralysis, namely polio victims who had lost the use of the voluntary chest and abdominal musculature and could not voluntarily exercise to improve lung capacity.

It would also work extremely well in the sedentary elderly, who are also at risk for stroke and pneumonia due to diminished lung function.

SilverShadow, the exercise should work well for you and improved lung capacity can only help. As with any exercise, it requires regular use (6x day, spaced in time, every day) Just don't use it during an acute attack - I'm sure you know that the issue in the middle of an attack is getting the air OUT, not IN! (overinflation, lack of respiratory transfer)

Good information - you seem to know your stuff when it comes to this.

I love sprint intervals.

Handicapped sister, lots of research into physiotherapy and child/adult development. Odd education, but it does give some interesting results!

wlmcrae said:
Personally, I increase lung capacity with HIIT (I enjoy the endorphins). However, the exercise will work for the average athlete as well. Physiologically, the body has 'beyond conscious control' sensors that require deep, full breathing when the carbon dioxide in the blood rises, utilizing the autonomic nervous system. It is possible, therefore, to use the body's own reactions to access lung capacity that is not used for any number of reasons (and there can be quite a few, even in 'normal' people - tight pectorals, for example). The exercise was originally designed for those with partial paralysis, namely polio victims who had lost the use of the voluntary chest and abdominal musculature and could not voluntarily exercise to improve lung capacity.

It would also work extremely well in the sedentary elderly, who are also at risk for stroke and pneumonia due to diminished lung function.

SilverShadow, the exercise should work well for you and improved lung capacity can only help. As with any exercise, it requires regular use (6x day, spaced in time, every day) Just don't use it during an acute attack - I'm sure you know that the issue in the middle of an attack is getting the air OUT, not IN! (overinflation, lack of respiratory transfer)
good stuff. thanks

Top Bottom