Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lower back and deadlifts

Thanks for all the replies, i pretty much forgot how to do them 100% correct. I fixed it now thanks :) I never said it was an injury, just wanted to see if it was bad form or being off for years. Thanks again

Blane said:
Lower back should never hurt after deadlifts.............work on form.

Deadlifts do work on lower back though, being that out of shape may cause soreness? NO?

highlander555 said:
There's nothing wrong or suprising about having a sore lower back after doing a deadlift. Remember, it's a back excersize, and the lower back is almost always going to be the limiting factor with your deads because you will never be able to pull more weight than your back can propperly stabilize.

If you're concerned about your form and think it may not be as good as it should, I'd recommend going to youtube and pulling up some vids of strength coach Mark Rippetoe. He's done a whole slew of Crossfit demos that have tons of coaching and demonstration info on how do do the deadlift properly, and what it will look like.

Just type his name into the search bar and sort through the dozen or so vids that pop up to find the ones that pertain to the deadlift. The great thing about one of them is that he talks about how the deadlift will differ for people with diffrent body types. For example, the deadlift for someone with long legs and a short torso is going to look diffrent than it will for someone with short short legs and a long torso.

I ended up learning a lot from them. Dudes a genius.

Good luck bro!
Thanks for the advice for looking up rippetoe. I always looked up other squat and deadlift how to's, but I never put in his name in the search box. Very informative.

RachelEFC said:
Deadlifts do work on lower back though, being that out of shape may cause soreness? NO?

Stiffs and good mornings focus on the lower back.

There are times when deadlifting my form is a bit off. If i straighten out my legs to soon, start with my butt too high, rounded back, or shoulders too far over the bar. The next day i feel the soreness in my lower back.

When I keep my butt down and think of the deadlift as a pressing movement and not a pulling movement(not my arms/hams/lower back). My lower back is not sore at all.

People seem to use the "my lower back hurts from pulling" it should read " my lower back hurts from pulling incorectly" or "my lower back hurts from pulling outside of my weight range".

yes if you approach the bar and try to pull it off of the ground the lower back/hams will get more involved. When you start to think of the deadlift as pressing with the legs, poundage increases and lower back is protected.

allmost every muscle in the body is used in some capacity during the DL. However we can choose where most of the resistance is focused.

All you really need is 2 weeks off, then a good deadlift workout, and your lower back will hurt - but good hurt, not injury hurt, just make sure your back is straight when you do them. Chest and butt stuck out.

As a knoxville chiropractor, I have had patients come in with injuries from doing dead lifts. It is important to maintain the arch in your back when doing dead lifts, and avoid sudden twists. This will help to prevent injury.

Top Bottom