Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Low volume sucks. High volume rules! HIT drools

S

SSAlexSS

I see a bad tendency in training. More and more trainees are buying into overtraining (which is mostly an escuse used to train less).

I was a low volume fanatic, beleive that anything over 3 days per week was for druggies..... After all my chest had trouble recovering from just 5 sets per week. I did only 1-3 sets of deadlifts since lower back is supposedly the slowest recovering bodypart. I have read many studies about how even such small and fast to recover bodypart (foreamr) can take up to 6 weeks to recover... I bought into this bull.

My bodyweight couldnt defeat 204 pound mark.

And then I tried and did high volume.
15-25 sets per bodypart.
6 days per week . Each bodypart gets worked 3x per week.

My strength is going up, my bodyweight is much higher in few weeks... I do now 6 sets for chest and keep progressing 3x per week!

Pain is for the weak. Even if my lats are hurtin' i still lift weights and IMPROVE.

If I had the time I would train twice a day.... I am 100% natural....

And YEH, long time ago I did try to workout only 3 days per week(rather than my normal 2). I overtrained, but now I have figured out that it was all in my head, lack of nutrition, and lack of neurological conditioning.

Your muscles dont have to recover that much! They can be trained to recover faster, and that measn that they hafta get bigger to be able to tolerate more stress in unit time.

Why high volume is logical? Muscle growth because of work it does, not how much it lifts in 1 set. More work in unit time means bigger muscles, since you need stronger and more energetical muscle to tolerate more tension. Training muscle only once oer week makes it wait 7 days before nbeing worked again. IT IS SITTING IDLE. By training it more often you are making it perform more work per unit time, it adapts and becomes bigger.

By not training to failure you dont spike
cortisol levels which mean, no overtraining.

HIT is horrible since you do very little work. With one set per exercise you cant improve very musch.

Sure you can constantly add weight to that set. But very soon you wont be able to do it. Your reps will start falling down. I mean no one got XXXXX pound lift from doing 1 set. You need more variables not just 1 set with 1 rep set to increase. Oh and HIT demands you to DECREASE your volume. See, less muscle stress per unit time = less work = less muscles... Alse neat Hebbin mechanism comes into play and your already screwy neurological system gets screwed even larger.

By training less you are not letting your body into adaptation of training more. More work = more muscle size AND MORE EFFORT. And that is why everyone is buying into "dont overtrain hype". More training sessions means more times getting off your coach and going to they gym.
Yeh you cant go to the theater and watch "The Clone Wars", you can stay up late and watch the 'Simpsons". Yeh we know, we know. One of those days you gonna get motivation. Too bad arnie isnt here, he could really motivate you. See he WAS MOTIVATED and he did WORK HARD. And he had a very good phisique. ANd even today the best pros still train high volume.

HIT developed by Arthur Jones became so popular only because it was so easy to do. Hey only 1 day per week you need to get off your coach and spend only 20 minutes in the gym. Also his nautilus equipment would be used very quickly in a given period of time and guess what. More customers = more money. Smart monkey mr Jones. he doesnt care about bodybuilders getting as big as possible, no, his wallet is the only thing that he wants to increase.

And many people use his ideas who get no financial interst in that. And they dont question the origins of ideas!
Hey just because it is NEW, totally agains the tide, and most important IT IS EASY. Doesnt mean that it is good.

Also some people say that "training 6 days per week is not very intensive or else you would overtraing." You need intensityu they say. YES but, you need to progressively increase it. If you train super intense 2 days per week and start training 6 days per week with the same intensity and puking every minute - Yes you will overtraiin. But if
you start slowly and work your way up,
eventully you could train as intensily on a 6 days per week program. And guess what what is better 2 days of Blood and Guts or 12 sessions per week? Ofcourse 12 sessions is better.
Howeever you cant get there by simply bein laid back and being conservative about your training frequncy. You have to work it! Ofcourse it is hard and takes a lot of persiverance, dedication and hard work. But hey, bodybuild IS about hard work.

Just because you cant bench 600 pound the first time you learn how to bench press, you shouldnt qit and say
"it is impossible" . No you work yourself up there. Notice I said 'work yourself up" . Not stayiong in the same conservative split (less than 6 days per week)

And please dont say "you hafta use drugs or you are a genetic monster or you are plainly overtraining".

By proper progression, proper rest, proper relaxation techniques, proper
bodybuilding principles and proper diet

(as much calories as you can stuff yourself with. Forget lean sources, Eat pizza, ice cream, chips, burgers, and french fries, while you wait for you 6000 calorie weight gain shake is getting ready to blend)

You will be surprised about what you body can make! My body did that high volume high gains approach, and my body was very prone to overtraining....

So dont say that you are geneticly predisposed to overtraining. .And hey since I dont drive yet I have to get my
body through all the crap outside we call snow. - 30C sucks when you have to walk long distance after a brutal leg day. 6 days training + 5-6 sessions through -30C degrees and trying not to fall on ice more than 5 times per second... geeez we see the kind of stress I get. You all guys in California are lucky. Sunny weather and no ice!

You should train evenb more times since you get stressed less.!
There is no easy way out, there is no shortcut home... yeh, go rocky!!! Watch rocky 4 running through the ice and snow in Rocky IV training. its me....

Reply please! Lets put HIT myth to rest! Hopefully you have read through all of it.

Last edited:
HIT a myth? Not quite. I think your results from your high volume program are simply due to the change in routine. Just like any other program, HIT works for a while if placed correctly in your training regimen. Just don't stick to it for too long. I used HIT on and off for the past 2 years and took my bench from 245 to 410 and put on about 30 solid pounds of muscle. Alternating high volume and low volume is the better way of progressing. And HIT is definitely NOT an easy way to train if you do it right. So I'm gonna have to disagree with your conclusion about HIT. It has its place in our yearly training cycles.

Jotun79

pictures

i got pictures that can prove that training each muscle group once a week builds mass. so if you can back up your story with pics it would be more belivible

jotun79 said:
HIT a myth? Not quite. I think your results from your high volume program are simply due to the change in routine. Just like any other program, HIT works for a while if placed correctly in your training regimen. Just don't stick to it for too long. I used HIT on and off for the past 2 years and took my bench from 245 to 410 and put on about 30 solid pounds of muscle. Alternating high volume and low volume is the better way of progressing. And HIT is definitely NOT an easy way to train if you do it right. So I'm gonna have to disagree with your conclusion about HIT. It has its place in our yearly training cycles.

Jotun79

Well you body is an amazing adaptational machine. IT CAN ADAPT to stresses! It CAN adapt to strenuous orkouts even if they are done 3 times per day 7 timers per week.

Once you are getting adapted, why lower yourself to lower volume - lower stimulation? Your body can handle high load, why undertrain it?

Well, sometimes 6 times per week can be strenuous and might be leading to overtraining. That is why you use mini within a week cycle where you go
100% effort 1st time 60% effort 2nd workout during the week and whatever you are capable the third time. Training that way IS recovery consious, and it still provides ome additional benefit to you, so you are less likely to overtrain later.

Sure 6 day per week routine is too much, that is why few people do it.

MrMuscle said:
pictures

i got pictures that can prove that training each muscle group once a week builds mass. so if you can back up your story with pics it would be more belivible

But, ehat if you trained MORE often. You could have gained more muscles. Sure you might have made an amazing progress on bodypart once per week. But you probably COULD gain much more by using twice per week.

And hey you arent comparing 1x to 3x so you cant definately say that 1x is the best.

You never learn do you.

First HIT is great, then partials is the only way to go.....now Arnold style workouts is the best way to gain?

The key to gaining is VAREITY. Of course you're gaining from high volume but only because you've always done low volume. You'll stagnate soon enough and look for another miraculous routine.

I did not bother to read most of your post...I could see so many mistakes in it just glancing by it.

-Zulu

jotun79 said:

Jotun79

HIT being hard?

Yeh going to the gym 2x per week doing total of like 10 sets per week...

I wreck my brains, 6 times per week...
Now that IS harder and obviously more productive. Muscle growth with more oand more stimulation, not less.

Why HIT is a myth.
People say that only 1 set to failure is good. Brief and infrequent workouts rock, they say.

Well. 1 set to failure raises your cortisol sharply. 1 set doesnt give you enough variables to modify and improve. Plus the adaptation that HIt gives you is short and easily reversed since you dont push yourself.

Sprinters do quick short burst, and they get big legs. marathon runners do long, less intense runs and their legs are small.

Seems reasonable to support HIT and oppose VOLUME, right? It works for them so it can be applied to weight room, right?

Well firstly how much do sprinters do in one sprint? 90-100 feet. How much reps is it? Surely not 6-8!!!

Also sprinters sprint many times per day many days per week. Not HIT.

HIT may be fine for some little strength gains, and maybe some occasional
sarcomere hypertrophy. But what about other part of equation, sarcoplasmic hypertrophy? It can only be achieved by volume. And even pure muscle usefull strength (sarcomere hypertrophy) is also achievable to the max on a HIGH VOLUME routine.

Look at olympic lifters and national level powerlifters! They train 7-24 timers per week. And they do know a thing or two about getting strong.

ZZuluZ said:
You never learn do you.

First HIT is great, then partials is the only way to go.....now Arnold style workouts is the best way to gain?

The key to gaining is VAREITY. Of course you're gaining from high volume but only because you've always done low volume. You'll stagnate soon enough and look for another miraculous routine.

I did not bother to read most of your post...I could see so many mistakes in it just glancing by it.

-Zulu

Yes variety. That is why you need to change the exercises themselves rather than the training split. 6 days perrr week is pretty average frequncy training volume. It is pretty good.

I'll stagnate? i was stagnating on low volume. This is high volume.

Excess does result in success!

The key to any successful training program is changing the stimulus as necessary.

I remember reading this in a Charles Poliquin program (Maximal Weights?) that included a brief cycle of HIT, amongst higher volume work:

"Why do I recommend a Heavy Duty type protocol? Well, because it works...for the brief time it takes you to adapt to it, which is usually about 3 weeks."

All programs have different benefits and goals - you just have to make sure you use them properly and be sensible and realistic about the pro's and con's of whatever the program might be...

From what I've read (been lurking for 3 months or so), I've come to the conclusion that SSalexSS should be more like ASSalexASS. You seem to be very full of sh*t (HIT being easy etc.).

Just my humble opinion. :p

Top Bottom