x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -
puritysourcelabsdomestic-supply
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals

Low Reps Vs. High Reps For Mass

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about Low Reps Vs. High Reps For Mass within the Weight Training & Weight Lifting category.

Excerpt: I have heard many different opinions on this and i am trying to get more mass on my chest. I do high reps low weight for my arms and my arms have put on nice mass from doing this but what about chest. Should I do low reps at very high weight or high reps at low weight? thanx

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pro Bodybuilder

Low Reps Vs. High Reps For Mass

I have heard many different opinions on this and i am trying to get more mass on my chest. I do high reps low weight for my arms and my arms have put on nice mass from doing this but what about chest. Should I do low reps at very high weight or high reps at low weight? thanx

high reps with very heavy weight!! lol coulkdn't resist. I've always went the 10-8-6 route for bulking. just what works for me though.

Whiskey
    The official Cantor of the NKC

Hiding in the deep trenches of this world

I like heavy weight low reps 12-8-6-6 with the last two having the last two reps being forced. Although for chest growth I'd focus on prexausting your chest by doing a few sets of high rep flys before your chest workout to ensure that your chest fails first during benching and that you get the most out of the workout.

Freak
    Heavy weight, 4 sets: 12, 8-10, 8, 6-8. Concentrate on form and contraction.

Good Bro
    something that hes worked for me is 4 heavy weighted sets at 8-10 reps, on 4th do a triple drop set. usually end my mass movements with a drop set.

Good Broly
    You really have to experiment. If what you are doing now doesn't work, change to something else.

What I've found to work for me is dumbells, both presses and flyes. No compairison between db work and bar work when it comes to results.

Good Broly
    Ever read Poliquin? I'm looking at page nine in his book on strength. There's a chart about the "relationships between maximum number of repetitions, intensity, and the training effect."

Too bad I don't own a scanner. I'm poor. But let me briefly explain the chart:

It has rep and maximum weight columns. Reps start at "1" and increase. The other column features decreasing percentages of a given maximum. In effect, the two are inversely-related.

Around reps 9-12, corresponding to 76 to 70% maximum respectively, the greatest hypertrophy occurs. (That means mass).

Unfortunately, Poliquin presents no discussion about how roids can influence the chart. Complete denial, a la Arnold. (His picture's on the back, and he looks like he regularly sticks needles in his ass.)

Pro Bodybuilder
    use both...start out heavy after warmup so your muscles and nurological system are read to go at peak then after a few sets when you move into less base exorsizes needing less nuerological effort up the resp to the 10-12 range

Good Broly
    Ever read Poliquin? I'm looking at page nine in his book on strength. There's a chart about the "relationships between maximum number of repetitions, intensity, and the training effect."

It has rep and maximum weight columns. Reps start at "1" and increase. The other column features decreasing percentages of a given maximum. In effect, the two are inversely-related.

Around reps 9-12, corresponding to 76 to 70% maximum respectively, the greatest hypertrophy occurs. (That means mass).

Unfortunately, Poliquin presents no discussion about how roids can influence the chart. Complete denial, a la Arnold. (His picture's on the back, and he looks like he regularly sticks needles in his ass.)

Guru
    Originally posted by the gringo

i agree with this as well. but alot of other factors have to be taken here as well. like time under tension. 9-12 reps done really fast for example isnt the best for an average individual to put on a good amount of muscle. so these factors have to be taken into considerating. also, the ratio of typ-I to type-II muscle fibers play a role in this as well. you have to find out what works best for you. imo there is no "one" perfect amount of reps to gain mass. it just depends on the person, although 9-12 reps is a good basis to start out with.