Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

low repetitions vs high repetitions!!!

low reps vs high which is better?!

• LOW REPS for sure

Votes: 31 86.1%
  • HIGH reps all the way

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

1_more_rep

hey everyone...i guess i should have asked this when i first started lifting instead of over a month into it...but what are the advantages/disadvantages of lifting with low vs high reps? which is better? im asking because when i lifted like 3 years ago (not seriously and only for like 2 months) i was doing a split workout routine and doing like 3 sets each exercise for 12 reps then increase weight for 10 reps then increase weight for 8 reps i think...is that more effective than the single 5x5 i'm doing now? or less?

thanks

High reps hit slow twitch fibers which have the greatest potential for growth. Low reps hit fast twitch fibers which have the greatest potential for strength and power. Both should be utilized for max gains but the high reps have a cutoff point at which doing higher reps primarily just conditions the muscle not causing growth(why long distance runners often do not have very large legs). Most experts and lifters recommend roughly 8-12 for high reps, some up to 15. Low reps can be anywhere from 2-6 depending on the type of training and even 1 rep sets for pure power training. In one of Arnolds book he writes of a well known bb who trained his chest with only 2 rep sets. It varies from person to person however so some will tell you keep them high and some will say train low and heavy. You should find what works best for YOU by trying both and not limiting yourself to just one. You're entire body will probably respond differently and you may find your chest grows well utilizing very low reps and your bi's may respond better to high reps.

danaf1 said:
High reps hit slow twitch fibers which have the greatest potential for growth. Low reps hit fast twitch fibers which have the greatest potential for strength and power. Both should be utilized for max gains but the high reps have a cutoff point at which doing higher reps primarily just conditions the muscle not causing growth(why long distance runners often do not have very large legs). Most experts and lifters recommend roughly 8-12 for high reps, some up to 15. Low reps can be anywhere from 2-6 depending on the type of training and even 1 rep sets for pure power training. In one of Arnolds book he writes of a well known bb who trained his chest with only 2 rep sets. It varies from person to person however so some will tell you keep them high and some will say train low and heavy. You should find what works best for YOU by trying both and not limiting yourself to just one. You're entire body will probably respond differently and you may find your chest grows well utilizing very low reps and your bi's may respond better to high reps.

awwe...this is what i was worried about...i knew there would be different advantages to each...i want more growth of my muscles for sure...but then again i don't want just a look with no strength so i want to improve strength as well...should i try alternating my 5x5 and eveyr 2 weeks take a break and just take a week to do all exercises high rep? or would that totally throw off my routine and hurt more than help? :worried:

1_more_rep said:
awwe...this is what i was worried about...i knew there would be different advantages to each...i want more growth of my muscles for sure...but then again i don't want just a look with no strength so i want to improve strength as well...should i try alternating my 5x5 and eveyr 2 weeks take a break and just take a week to do all exercises high rep? or would that totally throw off my routine and hurt more than help? :worried:

Regardless of which rep range you focus on you will both see muscle increase and strength gains. I think the 5x5 is efficient for both. The break you suggested could be implemented if you made adjustments for it but you could stick with the 5x5 for the amount of weeks needed to finish it. Then you could do a drop set type routine whereas you might do 1x10,1x8,1x6,1x4 on your exercises for a while. That is a very efficient way to mix up the reps. You could add in an additional set of 1x12 or even drop the 1x4 if you want to keep the sets relatively low. Just periodically change it up and focus the work on the compound movements and you will grow and gain strength just fine.

danaf1 said:

That's wrong.

Just look at any endurance athlete.

type IIb fibers hypertrophy more.

IMO this is why undulating periodization is a good way to structure a workout. For example...

weeks 1 and 4: 5x5
weeks 2 and 5: 3x15
weeks 3 and 6: 4x110

RipStone said:
what? you never heard of the 110 rep approach? hehe

sorry, i meant 4x10 of course

nice reply =))

I have to disagree also, type II (fast) fibers hipertrophy way more than type I (slow)

it impressed me when I read "up to 15 as high reps". here in brazil high reps means above 15. most BBers here dont even know 5x5. if I ever say "throw in a 3x3" peeps are probably going to think I'm some freak. on the other hand, dudes who train for strength are very well instructed

aham... getting back to the topic. I dont like the idea of sticking with one type of approach, either low reps or high reps. I like to do different routines from times to time, I'm a great fan of periodization

high reps (15 or so) works strength/endurance, I remember that HST uses 15 reps in the beginning to prepare your muscles for the heavier loads (has to do with the lactic acid). using lower reps helps you with your strength/power

anyway, up to 15 is a good rep range for hipertrophy. I think that anything greater than 15 reps will just work your slow twitch fibers, working your resistance and not much hipertrophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom