Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Loss of strength after DOMS

Vexer

Hi all,

After coming back from a year-long lay off I did a I did a (stupid) eccentric chin up workout (2 sets of 10 slow eccentrics) 12 days ago - MAJOR D.O.M.S followed LESS than 48h later (is this doms or actual damage perhaps?), to the point where I couldn't stretch my elbows/forearms for about 2 days after onset of soreness.

It goes without saying that this was a brainless thing to do - but I now still, almost two weeks later, notice a definite decrease in bicep & brachialis strength (at least 30% less strength, if I had to put a %age on it). No actual pain when lifting / doing pulldowns, but chin ups, for instance, are impossible still...

Anyone else ever experience something similar? Any advice on how to proceed - ie. should I take time off of all pull-excercises? Or rebuild slowly without too much volume for biceps?

SaiBoT Re: Loss of strength after DOMS
Hi! Where u able to do a single chin up before the "accident"?

Yeah, I could manage about 5 perfect reps with supinated grip (chin ups) beforehand, ie. 12 days ago.

I sse! You must still have some damage and inflammation! Give it one more week of active rest! By that I mean low intensity, higher reps, nothing til failure, just plain pump reps, it will help with recovery! Also get some high quality magnesium supplement, a couple grams of vitamin C a day! It will reduce inflammation!

muscle and body memory is very real.

how else do you explain professional athletes blowing out their knees and coming back after a long lay off? or triathletes who have injuries and are out for a long period of time and come back and already are running 1:30 half marathons after a couple months.

how fast you come back will depend on how many hours you put in before your layoff. if you trained for 15 years, took a year off then tried coming back its different than if you training off and on for years

Likely trauma to the muscles by overdoing. What about myofascial release tools, stretching, and Mg2+ Epsom salt baths? Ultrasound for recuperation? Assuming no tendon/ligament damage focus more on concentric part of those movements next time and stretch afterward. Keep your foods to those w/low levels of oxalates too to lessen inflammation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using EliteFitness

What ^^^^^this guy said. Likely trauma, have you had an MRI to see if any damage was done? I was retarted and did a similar thing benching some time ago. Bad enough I showed a little bruising. After a lot of tests/scans and my enzymes lowered to a normal level it was nothing more than trauma. I would suggest what these guys already have. Rest, plenty of stretching to get your full ROM back and come back slowly. You don't want to risk possibly something more serious. Light weights and high reps. It will take some time to fully recover more than likely. IMO

Top Bottom