Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Losing Weight=Losing Strength

squatpuke

A month ago I was 270lb and eating just about whatever (no junk, but lots of red meat, and lots of calories)...I was benching 315 for 9, squating close to 4. FEELING and LOOKING STRONG.

Got some lipid blood tests back which showed some pretty bad numbers, as well, my BP and pulse were pretty high. Saw a cardiologist and did the stress tests, etc. All seems normal, no restrictions but mentally I'm a bit stressed out to be needing this stuff and only 42.

Tightened up my diet and hit the cardio hard, laying back on the devotion to the weights (i.e from 8-10 hours/week to about 4-6)

I'm currently at 250lb and FEEL GREAT, except I can totally tell my old strength has been zapped....

I'm struggling with 275x8 on my bench, and have backed down on squats to 275....

I'm pretty discouraged, and was just wondering if anyone can sympathize...

Feels like I have a long way to work back up to, and wondering if should even try....or just stick with the "being healthy" thing vs. "being strong".

Please be gentle when replying....:verygood:

Thats why i dont like to cut because of strenght loss, your not alone getting discourage sucks. But gradually your strenght will come back if you train and diet right just takes alittle more time.

I can totally understand. I've never been as strong as you, but I too can feel strength loss. Lost twenty pounds so far and my bench max went from 265 to barely being able to do 225 now. I don't know if I can even do 225 now. Overhead press went from 165 max to barely being able to do 135.

Squat/Deadlift didn't go down, infact they went up. That's because I wasn't squatting/deadlifting to my potential before. Only been doing it for 4-5 months. But yea, losing strength sucks.

A month ago I was 270lb and eating just about whatever (no junk, but lots of red meat, and lots of calories)...I was benching 315 for 9, squating close to 4. FEELING and LOOKING STRONG.

Got some lipid blood tests back which showed some pretty bad numbers, as well, my BP and pulse were pretty high. Saw a cardiologist and did the stress tests, etc. All seems normal, no restrictions but mentally I'm a bit stressed out to be needing this stuff and only 42.

Tightened up my diet and hit the cardio hard, laying back on the devotion to the weights (i.e from 8-10 hours/week to about 4-6)

I'm currently at 250lb and FEEL GREAT, except I can totally tell my old strength has been zapped....

I'm struggling with 275x8 on my bench, and have backed down on squats to 275....

Feels like I have a long way to work back up to, and wondering if should even try....or just stick with the "being healthy" thing vs. "being strong".

Also feel your pain. My poundages are sinking as well since I'm dropping a bit of fat coming off a recent bulking cycle. It's discouraging. Seems like my pumps aren't as good either.

P.S. if I sent you some money could I convince you to finally change that avatar. Five years of that thing is torturing me.

I like his avatar makes me feel confident n shreded lmao^^^

Anyways ya loosing strength does suck when dieting, maybe try doing bench the day after u carb up??? That is if ur cycling carbs

I'm in the same boat. I was at 250lbs during spring break being able to do 10 chins, squatting near 400 ATG, and benching near 275. Like you I felt strong and even looked strong, I could see an outline of my abs, despite having a 43" waist. I guess most of my fat was visceral?

Now that I'm 55lbs lighter and still dropping, I doubt I could bench 225 or squat 315 and probably get at most 10 chins.

I think you should try to be strong AND healthy. You will most definitely gain a lot of the strength back once you stop losing the weight especially if you're losing at a fast rate.

i've lost weight and my strength only keeps going up. i have a pretty stable well balanced diet (never done the bulking/cutting phases) but every week my numbers go up a teeny bit in most exercises.:)

pretty common, but that seems like a big strength loss. You should be able to work back up to your old numbers though.

And remember, as long as you're healthy you can continue to lift and be relatively strong. I can show you posts of guys who after serious heart issues are completely out of the gym for a while and return to never be as strong as they once were.

Stay healthy. Good luck!

Strange, I was just 270lbs 3 weeks ago and having some chest issues aswell. BP was way high and I just did a stress test, nuclear test and had to go back for a eco test. All checked out ok but now on BP meds and have cleaned my diet up and am down to 255-258 now. Max lifts have went down some but still hitting 315 x 10 and deadlifting 500 x 6 and squats are still up there aswell. Its probably mainly in your head. I feel weaker under the weight because mentally I know I am lighter but havent lost near as much strength I thought. Dont give up on weights and try to push through it. I have thoughts of giving it up for being lighter and heathier but my doc said do cardio and keep my diet in check and not to stop exercising.

Top Bottom