Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Losing Muscle Mass

Tom Treutlein

Okay, let's say one goes from 12" arms (cold) to 14" arms (cold). If they continue training, but wish to maintain their mass and eat less, or more towards the diet of a normal person, will they lose all that mass, or does some of it become somewhat a "base" and remain there pretty much forever, so long as the person doesn't become malnourished.

If that person were to eat 5 meals a day (1 always being a protein shake) and hitting maybe only 100 grams of protein a day, and weighing only 190... Would the mass still be retained? If not, how much would be lost, if you had to guess at it?

Alot, 100 grams of protein isn't nearly enough for someone to maintain their muscle mass. You better triple that protein intake or you'll burn muscle mass off like water weight!!!

Id like to know that too. In my case 18" arms at 185. Same concept though. May be taking some more time off cuz of this back pull. Im also curious about strength as well. =)

I don't think I'd have to triple that amount. That would be 300 grams. I don't eat that much to grow, dude. I'm having maybe 150 a day. Maybe for professionals, and those looking to really get into bodybuilding, but what about for an average person, who wants to look slightly more muscular than the average guy? I would think, for the most part, mass would be maintained if training was continued, and protein was still ingested at a moderate amount, above that of the FDA Recommendation.

BFS Trooper said:
I don't think I'd have to triple that amount. That would be 300 grams. I don't eat that much to grow, dude. I'm having maybe 150 a day. Maybe for professionals, and those looking to really get into bodybuilding, but what about for an average person, who wants to look slightly more muscular than the average guy? I would think, for the most part, mass would be maintained if training was continued, and protein was still ingested at a moderate amount, above that of the FDA Recommendation.

For your goals, maintaining 14" on the arms and overall BW,muscle mass shouldnt be a problem at 100 grams of protein a day, with some calories, carbs and fats as well.Also some light maintenance training atleast 3x a week. Sorry to hijack your thread. With me, though far from professional, it would definately take a decent amount of food and training just to maintain.

it's a question of how many calories you're getting in each day. if it's below your maintenance level, you're going to start dropping weight until you've reached a size that your caloric intake can maintain. and guess what kind of weight it will be? muscle requires more energy(i.e. food) for your body to maintain as opposed to fat, so that's what will start to go first. it's much easier for your body to maintain a pound of fat than a pound of muscle.

if you're 190lbs, you're going to have to eat like you're 190lbs otherwise you'll start to drop off. out of the three factors diet, training and rest, diet is paramount. if you cut back or neglect it, it will show quicker than slacking on training or diet.

as far as whether or not your base will remain, it still comes down to eating enough to maintain your base. what you will have to your advantage though is muscle memory, making it easier to get back to where you were when you were eating more.

Not hijacking my thread at all man haha. It's nice other people are concerned about this, and it's not just me. Proud to have ya' hijacking haha.

But yeah, I didn't think maintaining 14" arms would be something too difficult to do. Not to mention I'm not huge on lifting either in terms of strength. I'm just in it for the fitness and confidence it gives me. At one point I liked the idea of being a monster, and getting huge. The only problem is the eating. That's why I was wondering if I'd have to keep eating like 3000 calories a day.

I probably consume 2800 now, and I've been growing. 140-180 grams of protein a day, depending on my appetite. If I can grow on this, then I can maintain on less.

By the way, what do you mean by light maintenance training? I wouldn't have to follow my current routine with all heavy lifts (3x3, 3x5, 5-3-1 etc.) and keep the same intensity?

BFS Trooper said:
Not hijacking my thread at all man haha. It's nice other people are concerned about this, and it's not just me. Proud to have ya' hijacking haha.

But yeah, I didn't think maintaining 14" arms would be something too difficult to do. Not to mention I'm not huge on lifting either in terms of strength. I'm just in it for the fitness and confidence it gives me. At one point I liked the idea of being a monster, and getting huge. The only problem is the eating. That's why I was wondering if I'd have to keep eating like 3000 calories a day.

I probably consume 2800 now, and I've been growing. 140-180 grams of protein a day, depending on my appetite. If I can grow on this, then I can maintain on less.

By the way, what do you mean by light maintenance training? I wouldn't have to follow my current routine with all heavy lifts (3x3, 3x5, 5-3-1 etc.) and keep the same intensity?

ThanX brother!!!! Im glad to help with what limited knowledge I have haha. Funny you started this thread just as I was considering starting it myself. Ive had to take a few weeks off from training, possibly even a month from hurting my back, and afraid I may lose muscle and strength. Eating is definately the problem for me as well! I despise it most of the time, and my nerves are bad as well. Im looking to get huge and powerful myself, and eating has been the toughest part. I agree brother. Im starting to think alot of this ultra high protein shit is a myth started by muscle magazines to sell products. Ultra high meaning Ive heard of 600-1200 grams of protein being consumed per day.
Im lucky to get 200 grams of protein these days. My calories are probabally not much higher then yours and Ive been making the best strength gains of my life. Though size gains have been slow and I do think (in my case) I could benefit greatly from increased calories and carbs, but not necessarily protein. Sounds to me like your diet is fine for maintenance, if not more then enough. Im no expert (is anyone?), but have been training drug-free (supplements only) for 9 years, starting with 10-12 inch arms. Seems some principles are universal, but I tend to believe people differ greatly enough to where experimentation is the ultimate way to learn. If your routine isnt a hindrance to you, Id say keep it. Its obviously been working well for you. And Im sure it may be more then enough to maintain. Maintenance seems to take much less intensity and heavy lifting then gaining. Atleast for me. The best way to test this is to maybe lower your intensity and heavy weight little by little and see what happens. Test it out. Hope that helps

Definitely does man.

Hey, you been in the game awhile. You started with the same size arms as me, basically. How long did it take you before you hit 14", 16", and your current 18" or so? Estimate if you're not 100% sure.

600-1200 grams a day? Holy fuck haha. I feel 300 is too much even. I eat less than bodyweight sometimes and I do fine. I think you should hit at least that amount, but it's okay if you don't.

I hope to be able to drop the auxillary exercises and focus on core lifts when I want to maintain, to keep my workouts shorter, and focus on boxing drills and such to lose excess fat.

Beast, check PM by the way.

BFS Trooper said:
Definitely does man.

Hey, you been in the game awhile. You started with the same size arms as me, basically. How long did it take you before you hit 14", 16", and your current 18" or so? Estimate if you're not 100% sure.

600-1200 grams a day? Holy fuck haha. I feel 300 is too much even. I eat less than bodyweight sometimes and I do fine. I think you should hit at least that amount, but it's okay if you don't.

I hope to be able to drop the auxillary exercises and focus on core lifts when I want to maintain, to keep my workouts shorter, and focus on boxing drills and such to lose excess fat.

Beast, check PM by the way.

I'll just list it by what size my arms were at what ages by my records. So it wont be exactly when I reached a certain measurement, since measurements tend to last a while. haha.It took me 3 years to hit 14" (age 17), 5 years to hit 16" (age 19), 7 years to hit 17" (age 21), and 9 years to get just under 18" cold.
Yes Greg Kovacs claims 1200 grams a day, and alot of top BB'ers and some "gym rats" claim 600. Depends on your goals really, but I dont believe protein is the "cure all" in terms of muscle growth. Though Im still undecided,since I dont take what I read as fact, but more personal experience. Since your goals are not to get huge, you should have no problem reaching 15" on your arms aslong as you eat a good amount of food and train hard enough. Intensity is key. Keep me updated!

Top Bottom