Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Losing the belly mean losing the weight lifting?

StewDogg

OK, so really long story short, I started my journey years ago at over 390lb (I'm 6'5") and 3x% BF. Now I am a bit below 230 and 11.x% BF accoridng to the calipers.

Thing is, I still have a "belly". I am currently doing lifting and then directly after doing cardio and running. I know it's hard to build muscle and burnt fat, but do I really have to stop lifting to get rid of this leftover fat? Or can I keep up the cardio and lifting and take care of it?

I really want to do both so I don't have to set myself back, but I also don't want to spin my wheels so to speak.

TIA guys,

Ryan

heavy lifting will stimulate your metabolism far greater than cardio... the more the muscle you can hold onto or even build will benefiet you greatly, as it will increase your metabolic rate...
just be careful not to eat too little as you will easily burn muscle for energy, or too much so you can still lose fat... you have to figure out just the right ammount, as your diet will be the most important factor...
good job on the weight loss... you have accomplished a lot so far... but honestly, the calipers are not very accurate and if you still have a belly you are probably still somewhere around 15-20%.. but you are doing great so just keep up what you are doing...

you can do both no problem, just find the right mix. if you're at 11% bf, you're right in the groove, dont get discouraged.

you may want to add something like the stomach vacuum to your ab routine.

What about adding a "Cardio day" where you do HIIT running? Keep lifting for sure though as per the reasons stated by moya. You need that muscle to burn the fat. Hop over to the diet section and get some eating advice too.

Just wanted to update this. Today at the gym I heard a fellow berating another guy who had a bit of a belly telling him he didn't need to be lifting if he wanted to lose the fat. He told him you cannot do both, to get outta the gym and just run every day till it's all gone.... I really wanted to say something, but this guy looked good and said it's how he did it.... I just think he's wrong about it being the only way...

Thats bullshit. Cardio is king for losing BF but theres no reason you cant do cardio and lift. Thats just another wives tale like when people (who are usually fat) tell you once you start lifting all the muscle will turn into fat.

Just wanted to update this. Today at the gym I heard a fellow berating another guy who had a bit of a belly telling him he didn't need to be lifting if he wanted to lose the fat. He told him you cannot do both, to get outta the gym and just run every day till it's all gone.... I really wanted to say something, but this guy looked good and said it's how he did it.... I just think he's wrong about it being the only way...

you dont have to tell the guy giving out bad info he's wrong... although i would like to... but you should definately let the guy that he was telling that to that it is bullshit and he should keep on lifting...
on a side note, i saw a personal trainer teaching 'cleans' today... i so badly wanted to say somthing... but of course that would probably not be kosher... :rollseyes:

I do cardio. I am 270 right now and still very lean and vascular. And I was just doing narrow grips with 340 for reps.

Top Bottom