Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Looking for career advice, Personal Training..

MrHammer

I was hoping to get in contact with a few of the Personal Trainers/Health Club Sales types on the board. I am in Sales myself but I HATE the corporte world. I'm bored to death and I would rather spend my time making money doing something I love...fitness, training and nutrition.

I'm looking for advice in....
What are the best certs for weight training & nutrition?
What do Health Clubs look for in a Personal Trainer?
Is it worth it to get a degree in Excercise Science just to be a Trainer?
Where should one start.

Thanks in advance for contacting me via e-mail.

MrHammer said:
I was hoping to get in contact with a few of the Personal Trainers/Health Club Sales types on the board. I am in Sales myself but I HATE the corporte world. I'm bored to death and I would rather spend my time making money doing something I love...fitness, training and nutrition.

I'm looking for advice in....
What are the best certs for weight training & nutrition?
What do Health Clubs look for in a Personal Trainer?
Is it worth it to get a degree in Excercise Science just to be a Trainer?
Where should one start.

Thanks in advance for contacting me via e-mail.

bump.. I want to know this too.

just dont let anyone do 102 sets for their biceps okay... ;)

My Certs are Nationwide and excepted by just about all clubs in california.
Issa
Afaa
Ace
Acsm
Coopers
Ifa

The top 4 are excepted nationwide

When you apply at a club as a trainer, make sure you turn in a resume along with a copy(s) of your certs. If their hiring, they will be calling you off the hook. Just be aggressive with the job. Sooner or later, they'll be tired of you harassing them and finally hire you.

More certs you have, the more you'll get paid. Some clubs such as 24 and bally's have schools they send you too which they pay for. Its just an in-house cert, so everyone is on the same level, regardless if you have an outside cert (ex:listed above)
Its good to have a degree, because you'll get paid more, but not necessary, since you really dont go into full detail about anatomy or kinesiology.

Clubs like to hire trainers that look fit, but you'll realize alotta clubs have trainers with big guts?? I dont know why, but these guys dont get many clients.

When you get in, the club will either have clients waiting for you already. Then you will have to hit the floor and pick up clients, introducing, spotting etc...
Sales is required in training...you have packages you sell to clients.
Best ways to get a client is to do assessments, which are free for members. This is where your skills come into play on sales.
You have 2 types of pay when you work for a club.
training hours and fit hours. fit hours are hours which your working on getting clients along with assessments.

You can always become independent, and work at a variety of clubs, though the members must be from the club. You will have to pay the club rent, and you can charge whatever you want with your clients as appossed to working for a club, which they take a cut out of your pay. For example, they charge 60 a session. you will probably make 20-30 of that , while the club gets the rest. Its screwed up, but thats the way it goes. When working for a club, when you sell a package, you also get a certain % of that as well. Usually varies from 8-15%

MohawkMuscle said:
just dont let anyone do 102 sets for their biceps okay... ;)

Not unless they got a contest the next day. it is like free synthol...

OOPS. I just told my secret.

Top Bottom