Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Long-time fan, first-time poster. Help Needed!!

duder75

Don't know were to start, Help Needed!!

39 years old
5’9
163 Lbs
Est. BFI 20-25%

I’m looking to get into shape for the first time at age 39 and I’m looking for advice on how to proceed. If I’m honest I think the last time I regularly went I went to the gym was when I would go with a buddy who was a fitness fanatic and that was more than four years ago. I found this forum when researching steroids to help get me into the shape I’ve always wanted to be in but the more research that I’ve done the more I’ve come to realize that would be a horrible idea considering I have no ligament/connective tissue base to support that kind of growth. With that said though I did get a couple of bottles of Forma-Stanzol to help jump start things being it’s a very mild anabolic, and has anti estrogen and fat burning properties but I’m sure it’s still a token gesture of my newb impatience.

Another thing that I’ve learned is that I’m not in a position to gain muscle and loose fat at the same time and should focus on one over the other. Being that I’ve never been below 15% body fat and I’m sure I have some left over from puberty chalked with estrogen and toxins, should I focus on loosing fat before focusing on gaining weight? I thought I read somewhere this is a better approach than putting on muscle then trying to lose the fat on top. But I also realize that by adding muscle I increase metabolism so any suggestions would be appreciated.

As far as diet is concerned I really cleaned it up over the last month (as in not binge eating a 12oz bag of M&Ms 1-2 times a week) by staying away from processed foods and focusing on whole foods. Other than that not much more critical thought has gone into my diet. But before I put any more though into diet, exercise routine, supplements, etc., I need to determine what my goals should be to start off with so any input into what they should be at this point is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
My first goal would be to cut the bf. No point in gaining mass if its all covered by fat right? Diet is going to be biggest factor here.

Because you are only starting you will find that it is possible to gain some muscle and loose some fat if you keep your protein intake up around a gram per lb of body weight.

So yeah get into a regular exercise routine with diet, stay consistent, look to improve and you will get results.

Thanks for the input Raze. Definitely like the username being that it's what I plan on doing with my current composition followed by building it back up.

Cleaning up my diet has shed some pounds already but I'm not sure what my current BF% is at the moment but I think I have calipers lying around somewhere so I'll have to dig them up. Today I'll be starting a HIIT routine that I found here www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-8-week-hiit-for-fat-burning-program.html I'll being doing first two phases twice a week to start off and then three times a week for phase 3 and fours times a weeks for 4,5,6, and five times a week for 7 & 8.

Phase 1 (1:4): Weeks 1-2
15 seconds: High-Intensity Exercise
60 seconds: Rest or Low-Intensity Exercise
Repeat another 10 times, followed by a final 15-second high-intensity blast.
Total time: 14 minutes

Phase 2 (1:2): Weeks 3-4
30 seconds: High-Intensity Exercise
60 seconds: Rest or Low-Intensity Exercise
Repeat another 10 times, followed by a final 30-second high-intensity blast.
Total time: 17 minutes

Phase 3 (1:1): Weeks 5-6
30 seconds: Rest or Low-Intensity Exercise
Repeat another 11 times, followed by a final 30-second high-intensity blast.
Total time: 18.5 minutes

Phase 4 (2:1): Week 7-8
15 seconds: Rest or Low-Intensity Exercise
Repeat another 25 times, followed by a final 30-second high-intensity blast.
Total time: 20 minutes

If all goes well the first week I may be adding in yoga for the sake of developing flexibility and supporting tissue strength because after all the end goal of this phase is to create a base for building mass. I think a months of it would be good which I'll then follow up by introducing weights. I know this may seem overly conservative and methodical but I'm prone to burning myself out quickly, so in a way this is forcing on me patience which I'm not good at. Plus considering my age and condition I'm sure I'm pretty injury prone at the moment but I'm open to suggestions.

From my previous attempts to getting into shape I discovered that I'm very fatigue prone the following day. Not just a case of having sore muscles but felling weary and foggy-headed so I'll just be doing the following for weights:

You need to get with a QUALIFIED trainer and dietician (sometimes this is the same person)

That DOESN'T mean joining ABC gym & buying a PT package where they stick you with some 19 year old clown who worked @ the juice bar the month before

You need to get with a QUALIFIED trainer and dietician (sometimes this is the same person)

That DOESN'T mean joining ABC gym & buying a PT package where they stick you with some 19 year old clown who worked @ the juice bar the month before

Agreed. I should have the funds to do that after the 1st quarter of the year. I've also research where I'd be doing it as well but for now I want to develop a based of Fitness and nutrition that would maximize that investment.

Would help to know your real BF level - you mentioned 15%. If you are at about 15% no need to start cutting specifically, with proper diet and nutrition its pretty easy to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

In my opinion, diet is key. Start reading everything you can about diet and counting your calories. Ultimately it will be your diet more than anything that will enable or hold you back from your fitness goals.

Good luck.

Edited to add: When I said easy to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time I was specifically referring to the fact that you are just starting. It gets harder later - take advantage of that now :)

You're looking to get in shape for the 1st time @ 39 but you're going to "develop a fitness and nutrition base" on you own?

If you needed a root canal would you go to a dentist?

If you needed a transmission would you go to a mechanic?

Is there a pattern developing here?

It's OK not to know how to train or diet. It's not OK to try and wing it, you'll end up being one of these New Year's Resolution jackasses that's gone from the gym by February.............

And if you're thinking "but I'm doing research..." remember 2 things:

A) No one on the 'net knows/has analyzed YOU
B) 90% of what you read on the 'net is bullllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllshit

So I did my first HIIT session of 15 secs on 60 secs off for 10 intervals and all went pretty well. I was absolutely gassed and my legs felt like they were going to burst but I'm looking forward to doing it again in tomorrow. If all goes well the next couple of time all start adding weights into the mix. I measured my bodyfat today and discovered that it's actually around 23% which made me feel like shit but that's what I earned with poor diet and lack of physical activity. I'm pretty sure I ate too much salt the night before so I'll be checking again in the next couple of days.

You're looking to get in shape for the 1st time @ 39 but you're going to "develop a fitness and nutrition base" on you own?

If you needed a root canal would you go to a dentist?

If you needed a transmission would you go to a mechanic?

Is there a pattern developing here?

It's OK not to know how to train or diet. It's not OK to try and wing it, you'll end up being one of these New Year's Resolution jackasses that's gone from the gym by February.............

And if you're thinking "but I'm doing research..." remember 2 things:

A) No one on the 'net knows/has analyzed YOU
B) 90% of what you read on the 'net is bullllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllshit

Yeah, I get it and I actually agree but disagree that it's it the only route. It of course was my intent to design a program based on "research" from forums like this one and start journalling my progress for the sake of input from those who've traveled the same path before me. I would more than love to work with a professional but if I can't afford a trainer there's little chance that hiring a dietitian is in the cards either. As far as diet is concerned I'm working on a paleo/anabolic diet considering the fact that I know I'm intolerant to most grains which was discovered when I was a kid. In fact I think I have a pretty good idea as to what works and what doesn't regarding food so an elimination diet may not be necessary. I realize that the body takes a few weeks to adjust to such a diet based on high levels of fat for five days and high cards the following two but I'll have to see how my body reacts to it by taking BF readings every week. Any input regarding diet is much appreciated!

By the way you are over thinking. I've been around gym's since the early 80's and you simply don't understand that you need an over all plan but with you a basic plan is all you need.

Step one diet. Don't drink anything but water. Period. Cut down on unneeded carbs. Sweets of any kind gone, pasta, bread, rice limit those.

Step two cardio. Walk out your door set an alarm on your phone for a half hour and start walking. When the alarm goes off turn around and walk home. Every day walk, bike whatever to get some cardio in.

Step three weights. Just get a simple weight lifting program, compound movements work whole groups of muscles and get the hang of it before you get all detailed. Down the road figure your weak spots out and figure out one at a time how to work those spots. You also would need to get into rotating your exercises at that point.

Do those three steps and you are on your way.

Break it down in those three categories and ask specific question on the right forum but at this point you just need to get going and work it out as you go.

Top Bottom