Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lifting while fasting - HELP!

1_more_rep

hey everyone, i have to start fasting October 4th for about a month. No food/water from sun-up (around 4:30 AM i think)-->sun down (about 6:45-7PM) so i was thinking, this being the first year i fast and go to the gym at the same time, that this is the best time for me to get results! I just don't know how to go about it. I usually eat after breaking fast a well-rounded meal to get alot of nutrients i miss. Maybe a bowl of vegetable soup to start, followed by a generous plate of rice/beef or chicken of some sort. I was thinking of going to the gym everyday around 7:30. That way i will have eaten 30-45 mins BEFORE so i have nutrients my body needs in me, but i can still be able to lift. I am planning on gooing 5x/week at least during the month. I want to lift 3x/week and do cardio 2-3x/week.

i have both diet and lifting questions so i didn't know where to post this - sorry. 1) what specifically should i eat when i break my fast? is a bowl of soup + some rice and protein source OK? i usually have a gallon of water with me at all times after 6:45 pm when the sun goes down because i am sooo thirsty also. What should i take in to my system AFTER workout when i fast? currently i take in a protein shake and thats it...usually i only eat something if i get hungry after. I also have fish oil and flax oil but havent really taken much. I was thinking during fasting would be the BEST time since i wont have much in my system the 2 oils could help, am i right? should i take them WITH food? pre workout? post workout?

I USUALLY lose about 5 pounds every year from fasting. But i usually put back on 3-4 soon after i stop fasting. So my goal is to lose maybe 9 or 10 pounds (since its the first time i fast AND workout).

i was also wondering, should i keep the same system of lifting while i fast? currently im doing isolated workouts because i stopped 5x5 for a bit.

mon: chest/tri
5x5 flat bench
3x10 inclined bench dumbell press
3x10 wide chest machine
3x10 rope pulldowns for triceps
3x10 seated tricep push down? (dont know name)
3x10 pull over of dumbell over head (tris)
then i finish up with 3x5 dips to work all of what i just worked out.

tues: probably 30 mins treadmill, 15 elliptical, 15 sauna.

wed: back/bis
3x8 seated curls
3x8 standing curls
3x8 seated curls (different form i think they are preacher curls? its when you dont turn your arms but just lift them straight back up with the dumbells)
3x10 lat pull downs
3x10 (increasing weight from 0-10-25 each time) hyper extensions
3x10 on machine targeting upper back/bis.

thurs: probably a rest day

friday - legs/shoulders
5x5 squats
3x15 standing calf raises
3x10 seated shoulder press
3x8 standing hitler salutes with dumbells
3x10 on seated shoulder machine.

saturday - 30 min treadmill, 15 elliptical, 15 sauna.

sunday - on the sabbath i will rest :verygood:.

does this seem like an OK workout during fasting? or is it TOO strenuous? not strenuous enough?

during fasting i will be taking in approximately only 1,500 cals or so. Because the big meal i have to break fast is about 1,000 cals itself. And a little later at night i might have a bowl of cereal in skim milk. or i might have a can of tuna/some egg whites. + fish/flax oil a spoon of each.

so basically my most IMPORTANT question is will this routine while fasting cause me to lose weight (im pretty sure it will) but also gain muscle mass (i'm scared about this one)? or will the muscles not have enough recovery time or nutrition?

hoping to lose 10 lbs in Fat and gain about 3-4 lbs lean muscle during this month.

ANY ideas or suggestions or tips at all for me would really help me out. I start fasting in 2 days! :evil:

thanks alot for taking time out to read this really long post bros :beer:

#1 - change your text color while your posts are blacked out

#2 - Adjust your schedule, plain and simple. I had a good Muslim friend in high school play football and lift during the day with fasting in daylight during Ramadan. Drink your water during the day, then eat your first meal, wait a couple of hours, grab a Balance bar, and lift. Nap during the day. You are just going to be adjusting your internal clock to an outside constraint.

I did much the same thing with my last job. Occassionally I had projects on second or third shift for a week or two at a time. You adjust your sleep and eating schedule to fit the window of when you will be awake (or in your case, able to eat). You ideally need to eat pre & post training.

Also, what are the operation hours for your gym?? 24 hours? If not, see if you can find one. You might have to adapt your training to fit in first thing in the eveing (after fasting all day) or late at nite or early morning. The point being you may not be at your strongest - so do not go trying to set PR's. Go in planning to maintain.

mekannik said:
#1 - change your text color while your posts are blacked out

#2 - Adjust your schedule, plain and simple. I had a good Muslim friend in high school play football and lift during the day with fasting in daylight during Ramadan. Drink your water during the day, then eat your first meal, wait a couple of hours, grab a Balance bar, and lift. Nap during the day. You are just going to be adjusting your internal clock to an outside constraint.

I did much the same thing with my last job. Occassionally I had projects on second or third shift for a week or two at a time. You adjust your sleep and eating schedule to fit the window of when you will be awake (or in your case, able to eat). You ideally need to eat pre & post training.

Also, what are the operation hours for your gym?? 24 hours? If not, see if you can find one. You might have to adapt your training to fit in first thing in the eveing (after fasting all day) or late at nite or early morning. The point being you may not be at your strongest - so do not go trying to set PR's. Go in planning to maintain.

thanks for the suggestions bro. My gym sucks - only open until midnight on weekdays and around 9-10 PM on weekends :worried:.

so i guess i could just eat and drink alot around 6:45...continue doing homework or such until 8:15-8:30 then go to the gym.

i just hope that my best results come during this upcoming month. I am hoping to work harder than i ever have in the gym and hopefully results show since i am intaking alot less cals.

humantarget: thanks for the support bro! :( lol. I think i can do it, as long as i keep intaking good foods late at night like monstermmf's idea of boiled egg whites/tuna/spoon of olive oil on top. :p

1_more_rep said:
thanks for the suggestions bro. My gym sucks - only open until midnight on weekdays and around 9-10 PM on weekends :worried:.

so i guess i could just eat and drink alot around 6:45...continue doing homework or such until 8:15-8:30 then go to the gym.

i just hope that my best results come during this upcoming month. I am hoping to work harder than i ever have in the gym and hopefully results show since i am intaking alot less cals.

humantarget: thanks for the support bro! :( lol. I think i can do it, as long as i keep intaking good foods late at night like monstermmf's idea of boiled egg whites/tuna/spoon of olive oil on top. :p
you're gonna smell fantastic, Lucy.

Top Bottom