Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

lifting straps?

##spiderbaby##

anyone used these before?

my hands are pretty small for my size 5'10" and my grip loses its strength some days.
Especially on shrugs and pulldowns. My forearms are incredibly strong though. In fact I think that my fore arms are compensating for some of the exercises that I do.

##spiderbaby##

I only use them when I absolutely have to. Usually on deadlifts and shrugs. When you start using them for everything your grip and forearm strength will suffer.

I use them alot. I believe in working the muscle the exercise was designed for. If I want to train forearms I'll train them directly. If I don't use straps my grip gives out before the muscle the exercise was targeted for. Not productive for me at all...

shrugs and d.l. thats it. i used to use them for all of my back work but then my grip suffered. now just for the real heavy shit or stuff that i need to concentrate on the muscle exclusively (traps)

I don't use straps for anything at all. I also train with a 2" od bar...just to strengthen my grip and to make every exercise harder.

Just my 2cents

B True

I actually use them often for Shrigs, Deadlifts and most back movements, I agree your grip can suffer however, I work my grip. Captains of Crush grippers, 2 inch handle dumbbell work and farmers walk.

I just cant zero in on the muscle when I am wrried about my grip, so when heavy deadlifting and Barbell Rowing I use the straps, I can really concentrate on the muscle.

Mike

NO STRAPS... I am 100% against the use of straps while working out. Its my belief that if you cant even lift the weight yourself with your grip strength, then you really shouldnt be working with the weight at all. Maybe I am very opinionated about this topic but I just feel that #1 it hinders forearm and grip strength/growth and #2 your forearms will get weaker and weaker as long as your using the straps. Your grip strength wont improve if you dont ever use it.

Use them only on deads and barbell shrugs - and even then only after doing several sets that challenge my grip strength.

All I use is chalk.....
I did go through a straps are great phase......my ex-training partner would use them for every last exercise. He ended up screwing up his wrist because of the pressure the strap was applying. So no more straps for me. Besides chalk works just as well for me.

Last edited:
i'm guilty of using straps... i've had sooo many wrists problems.. and my back is so strong that i really don't get a proper back workout w/o 'em...

mind you i do do wrist curls, forearm curls and behind the back curls (wrist) regularily, so its not like my forearms aren't getting a workout... its just that i like to let my back do my back workout, not my arms...

(and i'm just a tiny lil gurl too :) hehe)

Top Bottom