Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

lifting for overweight person

Falsiao4

I'm 5'6 and weight 100 kilos, that's right I'm freaking over weight and that's causing me joint problem and shin splints, I started my diet last week and I have been running every other day, I would like to ask you guys between weight lifting and dieting or intense cardio and dieting which one will help me to lose weight faster, I have seen some cases of fat guys that do weight lifting and they turned into a combination of muscle and fat and I don't want that, thank you for your advice.

The truth that most don't want to hear is the basic compound free weight exercises can be key to changing body comp. In an ideal world, if you were starting from total novice, you'd have a quality trainer teaching you to squat, deadlift, bench, and military press. (Chins too, but those don't really need to be taught).

The weight training part of the equation can be whatever you want it to be. It can be geared toward maintaining muscle while dieting, it can be geared toward pure strength, you can change some variables like rest between set and bring a cardio element to it, whatever. There's nothing about it that makes you fatter.

Pay attention to measurements rather than weight if you get seriously into weight training. Compare your waist measurement to your thigh measurement for instance. If your waist to thigh ratio is 1:1 you're obviously in elite shape. If you're waist to thigh ratio is 2:1, you're about half dead.

Because muscle weighs more than fat, folks that rely totally on scale readings can be making fine progress and think they're totally failing.

The truth of the matter is you need both.

Weight training will keep all your muscle on you so you don't develop that dreaded skinny fat look. It will also keep your metabolism firing on all cylinders.

Cardio training burns calories and helps you reach a greater calorie deficit needed for fat loss.

I would train with weights 3-4 days per week and do cardio 4-5 days per week. If you are over weight, stick with forms of cardio that will not be hard on your knees. Things like the elliptical, step mill etc. Running is very hard on your knees to begin with. It's especially not a good idea if you are very over weight.

the problem is if you have shin splints already and are so overweight that you are pounding your legs up how can you do cardio? it will mean you need to work on your diet and try bicycling instead of running

shin splints are not something that typically goes away, and at your size (sounds like you are probably 50 pounds overweight) they are only going to get worse. so bicycle, that will take a lot of pressure off of them

Diet.

The answer is diet.

All you need to do is lift heavy, do quite a bit of cardio and a long time of dieting. Once you shred down to the bodyfat digits that you think you want, then you can consider packing on some muscle.

During your cutting dont get hooked up on the 'fat burners' which you see on the market. Those are simply caffeine packed supplements and can cause you heart issues, especially if you are overweight.

Top Bottom