Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lifting in a meet after surgery at less than peak performance

Fast Twitch Fiber

I had surgery on my rotator cuff in April. I'm still nowhere near my peak level. I'm benching 225 for 8 reps now. My normal non juice strength usually puts me at 325-350 bench w/shirt. I would estimate I could push 275 w/shirt. My squat and dead are way down as well since I've missed a lot of training. I want to do a meet but I sort of feel like I would be wasting my time. Has anyone else done a meet when they knew they were nowhere close to their best?

Fast Twitch Fiber said:
I had surgery on my rotator cuff in April. I'm still nowhere near my peak level. I'm benching 225 for 8 reps now. My normal non juice strength usually puts me at 325-350 bench w/shirt. I would estimate I could push 275 w/shirt. My squat and dead are way down as well since I've missed a lot of training. I want to do a meet but I sort of feel like I would be wasting my time. Has anyone else done a meet when they knew they were nowhere close to their best?
Yes I have done that because I enjoy the atmosphere and I have only done about 10 meets so there is an experiential factor for me. I have also surprised myself sometimes. I don't worry so much about prs anymore because I am past my prime and I hit numbers I am ok with for an ex long distance runner and steeplechaser. Used to be all skinny runner type now I am big ol' lop who is stronger than many of the young dudes around.

I would start doing 99% of your beching in a shirt. It will help keep your shoulder healthy.

I had shoulder surgery back in May04, basic clean up. What worked for me was all the physical therapy and lots of light weight 25-20 reps for 5 sets. Then after a few months I added a lose poly and now on very close to a 600 bench with minimal shoulder irritation.

Do the meet if you really want to. Go with your gut. But with that said, I have done meets where I was recovering from surgery, and to tell you the truth, I'm sorry I did it. Now I have those sub par numbers as part of my legacy. Patience is a viture.

Top Bottom