Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lifting hooks

Tatyana

Elite Mentor
My grip strength has improved dramatically over the years, but it still doesn't match up with what I can do on deads, or I just don't get enough reps in before the bar starts to slip.

I have gloves and straps, and I am also now thinking of getting some hooks now that I am doing doggcrapp and I will be going pretty freaking heavy for at least one set.

Pros and cons?

Anyone else use them?

I can't comment on hooks, so I'm sorry to butt in, but do you have access to a trap bar? Since your wrists are straight at your side and the handles for the bar are of a smaller diameter it gives you a distinct mechanical advantage and you can handle higher weights.

I've never used them, but I can't imagine hooks being any superior to wraps seeing as they both take grip strength out of the equation.

My grip strength has improved dramatically over the years, but it still doesn't match up with what I can do on deads, or I just don't get enough reps in before the bar starts to slip.

I have gloves and straps, and I am also now thinking of getting some hooks now that I am doing doggcrapp and I will be going pretty freaking heavy for at least one set.

Pros and cons?

Anyone else use them?

weird i was just talking to my friend about this telling him he should get hooks because he uses the straps but he said he doesnt want to take grip strength completely out of the equation.

and whats with everyone jumping on dc training, i find it to light of a workout.

Anyway heres a secret for great forearms/grip not many people do. Buy a bag of sand, a bucket, and get some water. Mix them all in the bucket. get the sand nice and wet and then start to squeeze the sand and while squeezing it move your wrists around in the sand in circular and up/down motions.

another method is to grab hold of a pull up bar curl your wrists inward and just hang from it. this will increase your grip very well.

use an over/under hand grip. this allows me to dead/pull a ton more. i think its called romanian grip???

use an over/under hand grip. this allows me to dead/pull a ton more. i think its called romanian grip???

i forgot to mention that but i figured she new that since its a pretty standard deadlift grip

Yeah if your have a double overhand grip its gonna fail early tat. You need a reverse grip (one palm forward, the other backward). I can pull in the mid 5's with no slippage but im lucky to pull 315 with double over.

Hey,

I posted up a tread a little while ago on the subject - yeah, they are awesome!! My grip strength is nowhere near what I need for deads, hooks are the persfect option. yeah, you may sacrifice a litte handstrength, but the overall extra mass makes up for it.

Make sure you but the ones with the "wider" hooks - first pair a bought didnt fit properly around the bar

Top Bottom