Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

lifting heavy weights into old age

muscledog95

How do you all feel about the effects of lifting heavy weights all throughout your life.. Do you think when you get older it will catch up with you? I saw a post on another board where a guy says hes in his late 30s and he is experiencing major joint pain etc from lifting heavy all his life. he says he used good form, and that everyone he knows that did the same also show signs of deterrating.

Powerlifters usually don't peak until mid to late 30's at least. Proper training and form, supplements and eating right play a big part if you want to train into your golden ages.

I've been at it for ten years now. At 35, a certain amount of joint pain is a fact of life. However I've been very lucky compared to a lot of guys my age. I've only ever had one real muscle tear, and some shoulder and knee soreness. But that's pretty much it.

But I think that's largely because I'm careful not to go nuts with this stuff. I also hope to be lifting in PH's basement when I'm in my 70s.

:)

I'm mid-40s and I've been doing this for 25 years. I do have some areas where I have to be careful but I can still lift hard. The thing is, you can lift hard, but maxing out too much will end up causing you problems. Also you gotta avoid doing abusive shit.

Traps

I would add that my grampa remains abstinant from alcohol and swains rather cleanly.

I have actaully been trying to get him on here but he is reluctant so far.

PolishHammer1977 said:
I would add that my grampa remains abstinant from alcohol and swains rather cleanly.
See. I told you so.

Now anytime anyone says something to me or looks at me funny when I tell them that I don't drink, I'm going to point to this thread.
...chad...

I'm 45 and have found that lifting 3 to 4 a week helps. I work more on form rather than lifting heavy all the time. I do lift heavy just not every workout. I work the weight. I take 10 days off every 8-12 weeks. Its about working smarter, not harder. Have to say I look better than any of the guys or women at my gym. Also lift more as a % of my bdywt. Too many folks lifting too often and it really limits gains. I

cheesecake said:
See. I told you so.
Now anytime anyone says something to me or looks at me funny when I tell them that I don't drink, I'm going to point to this thread.
...chad...

I think I know whom you are speaking to here.

you will see in time that your absitnance will enable you to surpass others and walk THE PATH.

:)

Top Bottom