Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A Lifter's Iron Log...

11-3-2010

Bench Press 135x5, 155x1, 185x1, 205x1, 235x1 warmup
255x1,1,1,1,1

DB Row 75x5, 85x1, 95x1, 100x1, 105x1 warmup
110x1,1,1,1,1

Deadlift 135x1, 185x1, 225x1, 275x1, 315x1, 365x1, 435 fail, 385x1

I guess my attention span only goes for about 8-12 weeks at a time before I need to switch things up.;)

Anyhow I've been doing some research on the old Doug Hepburn singles training and I'm thinking about starting it next monday.

Not sure I like how he set it up. Back in the day I undertrained abit when doing it and only lifted twice a week with squat/bench/row on 1 day and press/deadlift and heavy curls on the other. I used the singles method albeit abit aggressively on the squat with great success and decent success with it on the deads and bench.

I'll figure out how I'll structure it by monday.

I feel like you just started the 5/3/1, a program meant for steady and long term improvement, and you already are ending it, its only the 2nd mesocycle bra. Your not even close to stalling, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Givin me a hard time for giving you a hard time. Fair enough.

I was gaining on it although my squat wasn't progressing like the other lifts.

I'm starting to think my issue in the past was mental boredom which caused me stop working out for long periods of time. I'm not gonna be set back by this change because I have used this training method in the past. As of monday I'll be starting my squat workout with 6 singles on 315. Within 3-3.5 weeks that'll be 10 singles and then bump it to 325. Do this up to 335-345. When I can do 10 perfect singles with 345 I guarantee my squat will be around 375-390 and will feel better.

I really do like the 5-3-1 program, but not so much with squats. I talked to the resident powerlifter in the gym (national level champ, MEGA leet strong) and his eyes almost bugged out when I told him I did 325x13 on deads. We talked abit and I told him about the program and his advice was to up the weight and drop the reps big time if my focus is strength and I agree with him.

Yesterday I tested my max deadlift and while it has gone up over the last 2 months doing 5-3-1 the high reps don't seem to be translating to a significantly higher peak lift for me. This is probably why I made such awesome progress on squats years ago when I was doing singles training because my body responds really well to it for strength building purposes. Higher reps I get stronger, but not nearly in proportion to the weight I gain as a result from it.

You can rib me all ya want since I was giving you a hard time, but I'll keep getting stronger so long as I keep lifting and am using a solidly designed program.:chomp:

Givin me a hard time for giving you a hard time. Fair enough.

I was gaining on it although my squat wasn't progressing like the other lifts.

I'm starting to think my issue in the past was mental boredom which caused me stop working out for long periods of time. I'm not gonna be set back by this change because I have used this training method in the past. As of monday I'll be starting my squat workout with 6 singles on 315. Within 3-3.5 weeks that'll be 10 singles and then bump it to 325. Do this up to 335-345. When I can do 10 perfect singles with 345 I guarantee my squat will be around 375-390 and will feel better.

I really do like the 5-3-1 program, but not so much with squats. I talked to the resident powerlifter in the gym (national level champ, MEGA leet strong) and his eyes almost bugged out when I told him I did 325x13 on deads. We talked abit and I told him about the program and his advice was to up the weight and drop the reps big time if my focus is strength and I agree with him.

Yesterday I tested my max deadlift and while it has gone up over the last 2 months doing 5-3-1 the high reps don't seem to be translating to a significantly higher peak lift for me. This is probably why I made such awesome progress on squats years ago when I was doing singles training because my body responds really well to it for strength building purposes. Higher reps I get stronger, but not nearly in proportion to the weight I gain as a result from it.

You can rib me all ya want since I was giving you a hard time, but I'll keep getting stronger so long as I keep lifting and am using a solidly designed program.:chomp:

Well good luck to you man, but I think you've made some incredible progress on the 5/3/1.

Thanks man.

I really like 5-3-1. I think it's an awesome program. I also think I am abit AdD with training programs.

Alot of guys switch programs constantly and make slow or no gains. Usually that occurs because the programs they use aren't designed around solid progression in strength increases and more based off the old weider supa pump madness. They have no real purpose other than to supposedly stimulate X muscle gains.

I'm not gonna suddenly wither away and lose every thing. I guarantee you I will be stronger than ever 2-3 months from now.

You misunderstood me man, I'm not critisizing you. I trust you know yourself well enough to use a program that you know works for your body. Its just that every time I check your log you are making progress, as am I. Its a great porgram that is obviously working, so I am just puzzled why you aren't going to milk in until you stall, and then switch to singles. To get the most bang for your buck so to speak, just curious brochacho.

It's mental man. It is a good program. I've just realized I don't want to do it for 6 months or a year straight.

This is actually a good thing because I never pin pointed why in the past I would make great progress for 6 months to a year and then just stop lifting. It was mental stagnation from doing the same thing. I would then end up just going in and doing whatever I felt like and progress would slow or stop because I'd start overtraining and doing a million exercises to failure going for the vaunted pump and "feel".

Mental stagnation from just not being up for a higher rep set of squats to the way the whole program is setup.

I will use 5-3-1 again. You can bet on that. I would rather switch to another effective program and continue making gains rather than get tired of 5-3-1 and devolve into training without a purpose and eventually stop coming to the gym altogether. I've realized this has been a pattern over my training years.

I should be retardedly strong and huge by now. In 5 months I have gone from completely untrained and 205lbs to 232lbs and huge increases in my lifting weights. If you chart out these past 5 months about 3 were spent on 5x5 and I was actually progressing faster on the linear 5x5 than 5-3-1. I also never stalled on the 5x5. I was adding 5lbs a week on all the big lifts. I switched to 5-3-1 because I didn't feel like doing 5x5 anymore.

Now I'm switching to a program created by Doug Hepburn, one of the greatest natural strongmen of all time that I have partially used in the past for the next 2-3 months or until I stagnate on it. At that point he has a secondary plan that goes from singles to dropping down in weight to triples and then building the triples back up to what you were doing singles with.

At that point I may go back to 5x5 again. Who knoes, but this is my reasoning atm. I am looking forward to doing this singles routine and because I know it's a solid program and because I am looking forward to doing it I know I'll make great progress on it. When I start to lose motivation for workouts regardless of overtraining something has to change.

P.S. I won't be giving anyone a hard time about messing with program design or switching to something else again lol.

Top Bottom