Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A Lifter's Iron Log...

9-30-2010

Bench Press 135x8, 155x5 warmup
65% at 170x5
75% at 195x5
85% at 222x11, I thought I might have a hard 12th rep left in me, but stalled mid-way up.

DB Row 65x5, 80x5, 95x3, 105x7, 140x1, 75x25

Incline JM Press 115x5, 135x4x7 got this idea from SouthernLord, I still prefer regular JM Press though and for pure tricep's I think cable pressdown is my favorite

That was it. Kept rest down low on all sets of rows and jm presses.

Felt a little stiff on bench just like squats, but my body is still adapting to the new job's workload. I was fairly tired when I came in to workout so I was quite happy overall with my performance.

Bodyweight 234lbs. I was happy to see I'm up 2.5lbs from Tuesday's workout so it may have just been a hydration issue. I will admit I switched to whole milk over the last couple days and increased my whole eggs intake by a handful each day so that might be doing it.

All in all, good stuff. One thing is clear with this new job even when I get physically acclimated to it. When working 10 hour shifts and cardio intensive labor 4. things are vitally important to lifting success after:

1. EAT ALOT.
2. Stay hydrated.
3. Get at least 7 hours sleep every night.
4. A caffeine drink or energy shot of some kind is mandatory before heading to the gym to come in feeling decently fresh.

10-1-2010

After last night's workout I was heavily fatigued today at work. Felt shitty, response time was slow and was generally in an unpleasant mood.

This is the first time in a long time I have felt some overtraining effects.

At this point in time my job is the priority, but there's no fuckin way I'm gonna stop working out. Nobody that does this job also works out and all the guys are in pretty good looking shape with very good cardio.

I'm taking the weekend off to recover and then continuing on the 5-3-1, but switching to training 3x a week ie. training each bodypart once every 9 days vs. current 4 workouts per week, bodypart once every 7 days.

That plus up my calorie intake and hopefully I will start adapting to this workload and while doing that continue to gain strength.

10-4-2010

Hit the gym before I went to work today.

Standing BB Press 45x10, 65x5,95x5 warmup
65% at 105x5
75% at 120x5
85% at 138.5 x13 reps, I was very happy with this set

Seated DB Press 55's 3x8 1 minute rest between sets

DB Shrugs 95's 4x10, 1x15, going up to 100's as 95 was pretty kight feeling, grip started giving out abit on last 2 sets

Bodyweight 233lbs

Good solid workout

10-4-2010

Hit the gym before I went to work today.

Standing BB Press 45x10, 65x5,95x5 warmup
65% at 105x5
75% at 120x5
85% at 138.5 x13 reps, I was very happy with this set

Seated DB Press 55's 3x8 1 minute rest between sets

DB Shrugs 95's 4x10, 1x15, going up to 100's as 95 was pretty kight feeling, grip started giving out abit on last 2 sets

Bodyweight 233lbs

Good solid workout

nice pressing! Hows the job going? Is it taking a toll on you?

The job is very physically demanding. I am adapting, but it'll take a couple months to truly be able to do the job without much if any residual fatigue.

In the mean time I'm adjusting my workouts by switching 5-3-1 to the 3 days a week version which hits every bodypart once every 9 days rather than the previous 4 day a week I was doing.

That and I will very likely drop most if not all assistance on the squat and deadlift days.

My weight has been dropping, but after the initial rapid drop it seems to have slowed. I'm still working on getting my calories where they need to be.

hey bro just started the 5/3/1. Im doing 4 days tho since i know it wont be overtraining. Quick question, did u use your numbers based on 90% of your max or your true 1 RM? I ask because it says do 90% to account for all the bullshit, like people using their backs to bench, or putting in numbers they did years ago that they cant really do now. But I know my max bench is 315, so why should I use 90% of that?

Im just asking because I saw you do 85% for 11 reps, where as yesterday I did 265 for 8 reps

Take 90% of your 1RM, then forget about your original 1RM for the rest of the program. All the percentages and weights are taken from your newly calculated 1RM. Even if you know you can do 315, take 90% and use that. One of the fundamentals of this program is to not start off too high, because you will stall early. I know that you know you can do 315 but for the sake of your success follow this to the letter and do what the program says. You won't get any weaker by starting with a slightly lower 1RM so don't sweat it.

My comp had a critical error. Tried to get it running for 2 days and then said fuck it. All week goes by and I decide to turn it on tonight and it starts up fine and all is good. Seems there was an issue with the latest microsoft update. They tried to kill my comp!!!

10-7-2010

Trained on an empty stomach in the morning before going to work.

Full Squat 135x5, 155x5, 185x5, 205x2 warmup
70% at 225x3
80% at 250x3
90% at 272x7

I felt a lil less than 100% that day. Seems it wasn't a coincidence because I was sick tuesday and wednesday which is why I didnt squat wednesday and the fever broke that night. I was probably 90% on squat day. Something worth noting was my bodyweight was 228lbs, but of course I hadn't eaten or hydrated alot yet.

That was it. All in all I was happy with what I accomplished considering I was having serious heat sweats 2 nights before and lifting a 4x4 by 8' long piece of wood at work was giving me trouble.

10-9-2010

Bench Press 135x5, 155x5, 175x3, 195x2 warmup
70% at 210x3
80% at 222x3
90% at 235x8 I had a spot, but all reps were legit mine, guy tried to grab the 8th rep and I was like no way this is mine mid-rep lol.

Barbell Row on box 95x5, 135x5 warmup
155x5, 165x5, 175x5, 185x5, 195x5 last 2 rep were a little ugly
finished off with 135x15

Cable Pushdowns #8 5x10, #9 2x10
The machine doesn't list poundages

Bodyweight 230lbs. I had one meal about an hour before the workout so I have definitely lost a solid 6lbs in the past few weeks from the new job.

I really don't want to lose any more weight. Luckily it appears I haven't lost much strength with the weight loss and new heavy workload. I won't freak out if I drop as low as 225lbs, but if it starts trying to drop anymore I am really gonna have to figure out how to get the calories higher without eating like total shit.

I was happy with this workout.

nice man glad workouts are still going decent with the new job! BTW I'm pretty sure on those cable machines the numbers are just x10, so #9=90 lbs

Ya that's probably all it is. I was doing strict sets of 10 with "maybe" 45 seconds rest between sets so the weight would have to be that light. No way I would be able to get all the reps if the weight was significantly heavier with those minimal rest times.

Top Bottom