Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A Lifter's Iron Log...

Fuckin ruckers lol!

I was seriously humbled the first time I tried hiking around Mt. Rainier 93 mile Wonderland trail. I had done nothing, but jogging and no backpacking in prep for it.

Every day on some of the elevation gains pushed my cardio to the max.

Definitely great exercise. MEGA calorie burner.

Fuckin ruckers lol!

I was seriously humbled the first time I tried hiking around Mt. Rainier 93 mile Wonderland trail. I had done nothing, but jogging and no backpacking in prep for it.

Every day on some of the elevation gains pushed my cardio to the max.

Definitely great exercise. MEGA calorie burner.

Yeah everytime I go backpacking I lose 6 pounds, and I bring like 18 pounds of food with me and eat as much as I can lol! Sure not good for the strength though even after 5 days backpacking I lose a ton of strength.

9-3-2010

Deadlift 135x5, 185x5 warmup
65% at 215x5
75% at 245x5
85% at 280x12

The max rep set of deads had me sucking wind big time.

45 degree back raise 1x10 arms on chest, 3x10,8 hands behind head

WOW. Worst fucking low back pump ever. I mean it was painful. I am not used to doing direct low back work like that and arching and cramping it. Also felt it pretty good in the hams and abit in the glutes. Funny I felt it more in the hams than glutes though I was squeezing hard at the top.

DB shrugs 90's x5x10 np

Bodyweight 234lbs

Good workout. Think I might already be adapting a little to this program in a good way. The first 2 workouts having the higher reps and volume gassed me pretty good and I definitely felt taxed on this workout, but sitting here at home I can tell I'm not as torched as the other 2.

I love 5x5 and it's always gonna be a go to staple in my training especially on a bulk phase with the dual factor, but I can definitely see going long-term with this 5-3-1.

nice workout man! Those high rep deads are definitely killer, I did a challenge with gladiator1987 on here a little while back and one of the challenges was max reps at 315 for deadlifts. I got 15 reps but man was it a bitch. One of the other rules was no more than a couple seconds at most btw reps.
It was fun though you see in the vidoe at the end I almost fell over!:evil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhcx7PNAn7U

It literally took 10 minutes to recover and I almost felt like passing out!

Very nice!

Although I have lifted the most weight with a deadlift I think proportionately I'm quite abit stronger at squat and bench.

I feel my low back strength is a minor weak point and I have never specifically targeted it so that's what the back raises are for. I was very happy being able to so almost all my sets with my hands behind the head first time. I will probably use a 5lbs plate on the fore head next time.

I'm not doing any direct ham work, but with the deads, back raises and full squats I'm not too worried about it.

Every time I have ever done a max rep deadlift it hasn't felt like anything was a weak point other than the lowback strength itself.

The most I have pulled is 455 and repped 365x7 at 238lbs, but even then I felt the limiter was the low back.

I'm actually kind of excited to build up my lower back with the raises. I figured getting shrugs in would be good too. My trap size isn't bad, but they could be quite abit bigger with direct work and I think that strength and size increase will also help translate into a stronger dead AND bench.

hmm I should put back raises in my routine I used to do them with a lot of weight for 3x20 and I really liked them. I think my legs are my weak point, my back is proportionally stronger

9-4-2010

Barbell Press 45x10, 65x8 warmup

100x5, 120x5, 135x9 I coulda done 10, but after blasting all my reps this week I needed to hold back a smidge and leave a rep in the tank, also used a thumbless grip which I had read Jim Wendler uses and I have to say I liked it alot.

80x5x10 definitely was feeling the last 2 sets in the delts and getting a little burn, rest time 2-3 minutes between sets, also did doubles on chins between each set

Curl grip cable pulldown not sure the weight, the machines weight numbers are wonky. I weight 234lbs and can chin myself 4-5 times in perfect form, yet on setting 12 of this machine I max about 11 reps. No way that's 120lbs so atm I'm in the dark on the actual weight LOL.

On a side note my knee is feeling great thanks once again to the resident badass pl'er and his form check with me. Left elbow on the outside has been feeling abit tight. I really notice it when reverse curling. I did a shitload of forearms stretches today and realized they are ultra tight. Gonna make it a daily priority to stretch them multiple times. Tri's are ok, can do the behind head tri stretch np.

I'm also bringing my bench grip in abit so it will now be the same as my military press grip. Basically pinkies touching the outer rings. Not quite shoulder width, but definitely narrower than alot of benchers. I think this will allow me to tuck my elbows in more and relieve some stress of the elbow and get my lats into the bench abit more.

Grabbed a 25lbs DB and did like 4 sets of 6-8 reps 1 leg calf raise and then a burnout set with both. Great pump and contraction. I still prefer both feet at the same time. I seem to get a better contraction. Think I'm going to have to go to the weight machine now for my calf raises as it's gonna get awkward holding a +100lbs db while I do sets of 12-15 reps on the stairs.

Bodyweight 234lbs

Did some thorough calf and ham stretches as well. Was really tight in the hams from yesterday's deads and back raises.

Good workout.

Current assistance plan for main lifts

Squat-squat 5x10, calf raises 5x10-I've got calf raises here because I don't like having almost 29" thighs and not having powerful looking calves to go with em, calf potential is very good
bench-bench 5x10, DB rows heavy-these really seem to beef up my lats and rear delts actually, I like Pendlay rows alot, I may swap between the two each workout
dead-back raises 5x10-need a direct low-back strength builder, manual hamstring curls, gonna start working these brutally hard, goal is bw+25lbs for reps, this could take a LONG time, but I need a bitchin ham exercise
Military press-military press 5x10, shrugs heavy-I know my traps could be bigger and stronger, when I focused on them hard as a kid they got fucking huge, need to get them strong/huge again

Probably do pseudo super sets on the 5x10 military press with chinups

Last edited:
9-6-2010

Full Squat 135x5, 155x3, 185x3 warmup

70% at 205x3
80% at 235x3
90% at 263x9 I felt my form was solid and I probably coulda gotten 10 reps. As it was it was hard enough that I was huffing and puffing hard for several minutes lol.

45 degree leg press 3 plate each side 4x10, +25 each side 1x10, 1 minute rest between sets timed

Did a few half ass calf raises on the standing calf raise machine. I just fucking hate it. I can't get the really intense/focused contraction like I can get on the stairs with a db. Think I'm gonna look into using a weight belt for the stair raises. The fact I trained them pretty decent with shoulders on Saturday I knew today would kinda just be blah.

Overall it was a good workout. The main squat set I was happy with and the leg press was a gauge for the weight needed. 3 plates each side was abit light even at 1 minute rest intervals. Still got a nice pump and burn in the quads though.

Bodyweight 235lbs

Good shit.

Great log bro...keep up the good work!

Top Bottom