Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Leg work after hip joint replacement

This is an interesting experience. It was my first day at PT that includes a full gym.

My quads and entire right leg was down except for the swelling. The left leg the same with no swelling.
My first real muscle building exercise was slow wall squats down to 90 degrees.

The floor had many versions of squat machines. Pads on the shoulders welded to a padded back plate, on a track that allowed for a full or restricted squat. The feet (parallel about 12 inches apart) were on a platform at the base. I set the machine up for 100 degrees so I had no risk.
3 sets of 10 with just the weight of the machine was plenty.

I will track down the Clarance Bass reference. TY

I found the Clarence Bass stories:

hip replacement

His recovery is remarkable. Look at him at 70 years young.

I wrote to ask him about squats. He did a lot of heavy leg presses in the past.

Nice! Did you ask any questions to your PT about squats, etc. like I advised in the other thread?

Glad you wrote to Clarence Bass. Hope he responsds soon! Good Luck!

Nice! Did you ask any questions to your PT about squats, etc. like I advised in the other thread?

Glad you wrote to Clarence Bass. Hope he responsds soon! Good Luck!

Yes!!
There are 4 different machine versions of the hack squat in the PT gym where the back is flat and the knees and hips are at 90 to begin. The PT had me doing 2 of them along with stairs. Really hit the quads!

Clarence Bass is a real gentleman! He has replied back 3 times via email with training comments and answers and insights.

Yes!!
There are 4 different machine versions of the hack squat in the PT gym where the back is flat and the knees and hips are at 90 to begin. The PT had me doing 2 of them along with stairs. Really hit the quads!

Clarence Bass is a real gentleman! He has replied back 3 times via email with training comments and answers and insights.

Awesome man! I'm so glad he responded so quickly. It sounds like you're in good hands between your PT and Clarence.

Awesome man! I'm so glad he responded so quickly. It sounds like you're in good hands between your PT and Clarence.

I have pt M/W/F. It emphasises endurance, muscle building and stretching. 90 minutes.
I am back to mass building T/Th/Fr with my push/legs abs/pull
routine.
In four weeks I'll be on my own and will make a mix.

Walked without cane today and drove. I'm coming back.

Lost a lot of size and have low strength.
Example: Standing curls 3x8 50 lbs
Scott curls 3x8 40 lbs
Con Curls 3x8 25 lbs
This is a fraction of what I was doing before.

I have pt M/W/F. It emphasises endurance, muscle building and stretching. 90 minutes.
I am back to mass building T/Th/Fr with my push/legs abs/pull
routine.
In four weeks I'll be on my own and will make a mix.

Walked without cane today and drove. I'm coming back.

Lost a lot of size and have low strength.
Example: Standing curls 3x8 50 lbs
Scott curls 3x8 40 lbs
Con Curls 3x8 25 lbs
This is a fraction of what I was doing before.

Slow and steady bro. Avoid injury. Remember, you didn't achieve your old numbers in just days or weeks. It took years. It will be faster coming back though. :)

Yes, this is an old thread, but thought it to be the best way to add some info.

Joint replacement is a very growing procedure. Hips and knees every week at U of Mich hospital and others. I did the right hip and had to find someway to work quads.

I contacted Clarance Bass and read his book. So ... finding others who share your problem is a great first step. He was doing squats without fear. I was chicken. No way was I going back on that table!

I started with leg presses on a sled. I would work it at a setting that was less than parallel at the hips, build my strength until I was doing the stack (400), drip a bit deeper and start all over again. Proper form was first most concern. Both legs, one leg at a time, hams and calves.

Then I added Smith Machine squats, same principals. Ran it up to 330, drop a pin down and start all over.

This month is one year of this and I am now squating deeper than before the operation at more weight. X-Rays say no wear and tear on my bionic part.

So ... If this happens to you, get the replacement and return to training with traditional exercises and perfect form!

I underwent complete right hip joint replacement on Sept 23. Here I am thinking about a new lower body routine.I will not become half-a-body and avoid leg work when I am released to train again October 6. And I will protect this new part. Not going to dislocate or break it.

I will have a PT for 3 times a day, 6 weeks. But unless he is (was) a squater, we won't be on the same page.

I can see that calf raises are in. Might lower the weight and slow down the action. As are ham curls and front extensions. Slow and steady.

But ... what squat? I have to keep away from that joint and bomb the quads. I'm not supposed to break 90 degrees knee to hip to shoulder.

What about Hacks? Back flat on sled, pads on shoulders, foot platform and rails set at 90 ..... Your opinion?

And what ab exercises? I used to do hanging leg lifts with weights on ankles .... and declines with 50 lb plate on chest. What now??

Most PT's will understand your need to jump back into weight lifting and most will understand squats. I guess it depends on how good your surgeon is at replacing hips. I know some complete hip replacement patients that can barely bend at the hip and know others that can sit and cross the legs. moral of the story, some surgeons are greate while some others are not so great

Top Bottom