Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Leg presses killing my lower back

jerky

Does anyone have this same problem ? I can do everything just fine and when I hit the leg press it just kills my lower back to no end.

Any suggestions to work around this and or kill it off for good.

Thanks

JKY

Its likely due to poor mobility. Leg presses are a bogus lift anyway. Your much better off doing squats, split sqauts etc.

I have this problem too I think it's because of two factors.

My gym has the leg press where you sit on and press straight out in front if you.. This kills my back.

And also, I have a weak core (long story)

I know they are frowned upon but right now I need to use a belt for leg press until my core strength returns

Is any of this similar to your issue?

I have herniated discs and as long as I don't bring my knees too far down and round my lower back I'm fine. I did this recently an paid dearly for it.

I wear a belt when I press I think ZYG might be correct its a Shit movement to begin with. I am no spring chicken at 47 and years of heavy squatting has taken its toll, however it might be back to the squat rack with lighter weight and more reps and maybe some leg extensions thrown in ? I just want to keep my thighs in solid shape.

Like I said thu that movement sucks and kills me anytime I throw 6 + plates on each side its Over.

Any suggestions would be great.

I wear a belt when I press I think ZYG might be correct its a Shit movement to begin with. I am no spring chicken at 47 and years of heavy squatting has taken its toll, however it might be back to the squat rack with lighter weight and more reps and maybe some leg extensions thrown in ? I just want to keep my thighs in solid shape.

Like I said thu that movement sucks and kills me anytime I throw 6 + plates on each side its Over.

I bolded your problem

that's what happens when you wear a belt long term, you weaken your back.

which is why I tell guys to not wear belts.

Properly done squats are much less likely to cause injury than a leg press machine. Leg extensions are a horrible exercise because of the sheering forces they expose the knee to.

As for age, im no spring chicken either, only a year or so behind you and I squat(front and back) and deadlift all the time(no belt, wraps etc).

Many people get hurt squatting because they go too heavy too fast and dont have proper form generally due to lack of proper mobility to stay in a safe position through the whole range of movement. You need to video yourself and watch your form and if there are any issues work on them with lighter weight and ample mobility work.

Split squats are also a killer movement, especially with rear foot elevated. You can use a bar across back for extra weight or just hang on to dumbells.

Last edited:
I hate the leg press. I do light single leg presses if at all to keep the weight down off my back. Do heavy squats.

Leg presses will ruin your lower back. Replace with one leg squats or trap bar squats. Had 2 discectomys so I can't do regular squats, but I can squat with a trap bar. It lowers the center of gravity and builds the upper body somewhat. And yes, leg extensions will wear out your knee ligaments, but I warm up with them at low weight, high reps.

Top Bottom