Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Leg extensions

Mike_Rojas

I did some leg extensions on Tuesday, and now my knees are killing me, especially when I walk upstairs. Are they bad for the knees? I usually just do squats.

Leg extensions aren't "bad" for your knees per se, they are hard on somebody's knees that are already bad.
Leg extensions are an integral part of knee rehabilitation in clinical settings. They wouldn't use knee extensions if they were bad for your knees. Done properly, knee extensions can actually help heal knees that have started hurting due to training stress.

So what is the "proper" way? I was doing sets of 10, pausing at the top. My knees also hurt if I go all the way down in squats.

i dont believe leg extensions are bad for your knees. i used to not do squats bc i have bad knees (genetically) so al i did were leg presses and extensions. now that i do squats i have noticed even more trouble and im usisng proper form on squats, im going pretty deep though, oh well i like the pain.

eat big

leg extensions can be pretty bad, they put alot of stress on the kneecap. they are used in clinical settings at very light loads to isolate the quads when squatting and functional movements arent possible. high load leg extensions are just asking to grind down the kneecap.

leg extensions can be pretty bad, they put alot of stress on the kneecap. ...high load leg extensions are just asking to grind down the kneecap.

That's what I'm thinking every time I walk up or down the stairs. :chomp:

I have heard they are bad for the knees, so I dropped them for a long time. Now I like to do 2-3 sets with one leg at a time after my squats and lunges or whatever else I do.

Mike_Rojas said:
I did some leg extensions on Tuesday, and now my knees are killing me, especially when I walk upstairs. Are they bad for the knees? I usually just do squats.
theres more shearing force on your knees with leg extension than a properly executed squat!!!!

Rojas!

you know this is the only place you could post this and get off this easy!
banana.gif

Heavy leg extensions are asking for trouble!! I tore the ACL in my knee about 5 years ago and had to do some serious rehab. The physical therapist I worked with said leg extensions are the biggest knee killers around. Some people can get by without any trouble, but most of them will eventually suffer from pain in the knee area. Use Squats, Front Squats & Lunges and stretch, before, during & after.

Top Bottom