Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Learning perfect form with your eyes closed

PickMe69

So today I trained my first client! The mixture of excitement and nervousness converged into a very energetic and quick witted self (pretty much I was on my A game), therefore the training went really well!

You couldn't ask for a much more challenging first client (or so I thought). He is 55 years old and blind. That's right, he's blind, yet he walks to the gym and by some miracle makes it! I've known him for a couple weeks now and I kinda look at him as an inspiration, which made it all the more sweeter when, after showing him some correct form on squats, he asked if I did personal training. Good timing.

He learned the forms quicker than anyone I've ever worked with. Even slight variations I made he incorporated them into his following reps and future sets. His inability to see meant that to teach him correct forms for deads, squats, and Standing Barbell Press I would have to change my typical tactic of showing them the lift then calling out corrections as they began with a very light weight to focusing on how things felt, and how the lift should feel. Even little nuances such as "lift your head just slightly higher" where incorporated into future lifts while keeping other factors of the lift in check.

HERE'S THE POINT: I think there is something to this. Maybe having clients focus on form through the way they feel rather than visual examples would be a better way of teaching them correct technique in more complex lifts or having someone call out to YOU what should be corrected while you are lifting, keeping your eyes closed, and focusing on how your body feels would be a more beneficial way of learning forms.

Top Bottom