Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

LATERALS RAISES/ TOGETHER OR ONE AT A TIME

punch

It seems that lateral raises done together puts momentum into play. One arm raises seem to allow for greater concentration because you are not focused on getting both arms up bilaterally. The problem is, do you tend to swing too much with one arm at a time. My opinion is that laterals are an isolation movement and should be done with somewhat lighter wieght. The movement itself puts the shoulder in a vulnerable position. I personally find this movement better for overall developement of the sholder caps than presses. Bottom line is that both together or one arm, laterals are a quintissential movement necessary for solid shoulder growth.
8-10 reps are a good rep range with drop sets to really exhaust the muscle. Just my 2cts.

"The other day a lady came up to me and said,"I'd really love to touch your body,my reply,"I don't blame you"!

I always use both arms at the same time, I try and go up and pause for a half-second at the top... then I know if I have control of the weight or if it's too heavy.

i take momentum out of play. i do mine 1 arm at at time. i raise to peak contraction at the side and lower under control to the point where the muscle starts to relax just slightly, then back up again. so basically, from about 30 deg to parallel to the floor. short range of motion but works wonders.

ps...i sold my ego and now i use maybe 15-20 lbs for this exercise. since its all muscle and no swinging, im happy. i challenge even those that swing up 40-50 lbs for laterals to say that using 20 lbs the right way is easy. anyday.

good post bro.

I agree 100% bignate!! Too many guys swing the 45's/ 50's together and do nothing more than twing the lower back. By and large most people have terrible form on this movement. As far as ego you are correct. I am currently doing the 45's together and I just dont feel it the same as with the 20's-25's. Another great variation of these which Arnold loved were incline bench one arm laterals. Laying on one side of a bench at a 45 degree angle raise one arm to neck level and lower slowly. If you wanna know how much you can REALLY lift on laterals, try this, its humbling!!!

here's my experience on the subject...i used 75#s db's for 6 reps w/ minimal momentum,both arms at the same time.got great results as far as mass and width!!!i have recently started one arm side laterals,while i lean against the rack and have finally achieved visible caps.depends what you're looking for though...if it's mass and shoulder width go heavy,if caps is what you're looking for,concentrate on movement and isolation(6-8 rep range)...i don't agree w/ going w/ lighter weight though just cause it's an isolation exercise.i personally,never got results with this approach.fyi

------------------
if you don't like it,get the fuck out!

Why not incorporate both heavy "swinging" lateral raises and strict lateral raises. Try the 30's or 40's depending upon how strong you are.

do any of you guys have this problem...the day after I do lateral raises it is always my lats that are sore as, nothing in my shoulders??? I am sure my form is OK, and at the time (while doing them)I feel it in my shoulders and not my back?!?!

I began weightlifting 6 weeks ago, and while I've
improved in most areas, the most dramatic
has been curls, going from 25 lbs to 55,
(no juice, just andro + creatine + whey). I'm thinking
that it's because I do one arm at a time on curls,
and I can really max out the one arm in a way
that I can't when doing a two-armed exercise.
So I'm thinking of trying to convert as many
exercises as I can from two-arm movements
to one-arm. Anybody agree?

Top Bottom